New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife Kit Assembly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there anyone out there who assemblies the various knife kits offered for sale? I have my eyes on a Delta 5 Chute knife and don't have much more than a hammer and drill to put it together.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add a file & some gritpaper to the drill & its eminently doable with a bit of elbow grease.
Hammer is largely superfluous to needs.
An anglegrinder with sanding disc or dremel tool with sanding drums will speed up the task , but they are by no means necessary equipment to achieve a good result.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A small drill press, various rasp and files, and some sandpaper of various grits will do a fine job.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've built a few knives and in my opinion it is just about the dirtiest job to grind down the handles to size. I screwed and glued the handles in place and tried various ways of shaping them. Best way I found was a tight flap disk on a grinder. That method removed material rapidly and coated my shop with the dust. After that knife I set up a vice on a post and did my shaping outside. I'll buy my knives readymade, thank you.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote