THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Best Camp Utility Knife that doesn't break the bank

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Camp Utility Knife that doesn't break the bank
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, I'm looking for something about KA-bar size maybe a little bigger for general around the camp use. It would be used for chopping 1-1/2" branches, splitting firewood and such. It may also be called upon to do some simple game preparation chores.

My buddy suggested the Schrade Extreme Survival Knife SCHF9 as it is inexpensive, I am looking into Cold Steel as they have a solid reputation. I know you get what you pay for but not everyone needs a Cadillac or Porsche. Is their a good knife i the $100-$150 range or am I still looking at Bear Gryls hyped nonsense?

Thanks,
Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If used a serrated Ka-bar for years. I picked several up surplus. Even new they are in the $65 range.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
A "machete!" There, done and dusted. Wink

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
Becker bk9 --

Becker teams up with Ka Bar, Ontario, some others. The one I have is CRKT, but I think they stopped production.

My budget for a knife I will use is about $50. These run about $80, and up. Lately I'm thinking Cold Steel is over-priced.

Ontario makes knives for military contracts, solid, no frills utility tools. The Becker style in Ontario brand is called a "Ranger"

Smoky Mt. Knife Works sells Ontario -- SMKW.com

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Becker bk9

Good info. Thanks Xero

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELeeton:
quote:
Becker bk9

Good info. Thanks Xero

SMKW was running a TV feature (They have a TV sales program, KnivesLiveTV on Tuesday, Friday.) a feature on the Becker BK9 (9" blade. I have the 7" blade.)

What they were doing is "batoning" -- using a baseball bat diameter limb to drive the knife as a cutting tool on "wrist size" saplings, likely alder. The Becker design is intended specifically for this sort of use. "Camp Utility" and general heavy duty chores. Also, it's one serious defense/combat knife -- used by the military.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my ENZO Trapper with Micarta scales. Really tough!!Does everything one expects of a "camp knife".

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beckers are great utility knives. Carbon Steel, a very good durable edge and hell for stout.

Posts: 10005 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$100-150 will get you into a nice Bark River. I love my Canadian special for general camp chores and its my hunting knife. Really solid knives from an American company.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spend 10 bucks on a mora and the rest on a bottle of good hooch and you'll be a well served and happy man.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ontario's SK5 by Hedgehog Leatherworks check out their website and video.
Enzos and Moras are excellent.
Here are my personal parameters.
Fixed blade only.
Quality steel such ac CM1095
It must fit the palm of your hand from top to bottom about 4-5" with no aggresive checkering on the grips because you cannot always have gloves on and you do not want to shred your hand or cause bad blisters.
The blade must have a solid straight spine on top to take the abuse when batoning wood and sparking a steel. With a simple blade profile for ease of sharpening. No gut hooks or gimmikie designs.
It must be light weight and balanced for intricate work such as shelterbuilding/notching/trap making/field dressing etc.. that will not fatigue your hand with extended work.
U.S. made with no cheap Chinese knock offs.
A quality sheath with compartment for a sharpening steel or mini survival kit is a bonus.
I have a few Beckers, they are work horses and fairly priced but heavy and similar to a heavy chisel in knife form. If i needed something for heavy work with least effort I would add a Dandy 18" saw and light weight Swedish. ax

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could also look at getting a custom one, or make one yourself. I made this one up for a camp knife for myself, O-1 tool steel, micarta scales. I put a 375 H&H cartridge by the handle for a size comparison.

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have thought on and off about buying the parts and building one myself. Was your blade already ground and you just added the edge?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
ELeeton, I make my knives from barstock through to the finish. I usually make hunting knives but I thought a big camp styke knife would be fun. O-1 is a great steel to work with, finishes nice and I can heat treat it myself.

roughing out the steel

Grind the bevels, drill them out, hand sand.

Heat treat them

Attatch the scales and finish them, then sharpen

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the money it would be impossible to beat this deal.

Condor Knife and Tool

I was actually going to offer you one of these for $25 shipped because they fit your requirements to a "T". They come sharp, sharpen easily and do the type jobs you require with no problems. Of course they aren't a Randall, but the company does stand behind their products if you get a lemon.

Personally I think "batoning" a knife, short of a survival situation, is just plain dumb. If you need to split firewood, carry an ax or hatchet.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: Just ordered 3 each of 10, 12, and 18 inchers. According to site, still had them in stock. Great deal and, to be clear, I have nothing to do with this seller.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight guys. It looks as though I'll be stuck in Israel for a bit longer than expected so I'll have to shelf this project for a bit.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE