THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    High Carbon 0170-6 Chrome Vanadium @ Rockwell 58

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Carbon 0170-6 Chrome Vanadium @ Rockwell 58
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Can some one bring me up to speed on this steel & is 58 hard enough to hold an edge but no be too hard to sharpen? These are the specs for the Marble Woodcraft.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
From what I`ve heard it is the same stuff as Cold Steels old Carbon V. Good steel but not up to Marbles older 52100 blades. They decided to start cost cutting in the early 2000s and from reports are not the same as they were. Try looking around here for info on both the steel and marbles
www.knifeforums.com//ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
58 Rockwell is decent hardness so it should hold a good edge all things being equal, but the quality of the heat treatment will have more of a bearing on edge retention. I haven't heard alot of good reviews on Marble knives of late so I would not recommend personally with all the other choices on the market. I would go for a good quality stainless steel like VG-10 or S30V by Buck or Spyderco. My personal favorite is the Spyderco Moran in VG-10.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's kind of a cross between 1095 and O-1. It's a good carbon steel blade. It's used on the CS CarbonV blades and the Camillus BK series .A good steel !

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the same thing as SAE 51100. It is essentially SAE 52100 with less chromium. Therefore, it will not have quite as refined (fine) a grain structure nor quite as much chromiun carbide as 52100. On the plus side it is easier to sharpen.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote