New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knive use - cardboard box cutting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At sci when I was talking to the benchmade guys they mentioned that cardboard and packing tape were amoung the worst possible uses that damage a knife blade.

I really like the benchmade mini griptilian knives - Great blade for $100.

I bought a couple of Kershaw starter
For $5 at academy on clearance for cardboard boxes. The primary use for my knives.

The griptilian has held up pretty good over years of cardboard box cutting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My trick on cardboard is to use a blade 3 times heavier than I normally use.

I have a defensive weapon knife I call it Smashit!

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-St...atchet/dp/B00BD53IYG

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I was just looking at mine, it is slightly differen but the the answer is the same.

square ended, weighs almost 2.5 pounds.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A professional box cutter blade might be the best choice for anyone doing real cutting.

I can made due with a heavy $5 knife.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At sci when I was talking to the benchmade guys they mentioned that cardboard and packing tape were amoung the worst possible uses that damage a knife blade

That is what they make sharpeners for I use my knife to cut what is needed at the time.

I
If it needs sharpening when done so be it.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
razor utility knife, I re-sharpen the razor and they seem to last longer and work better.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
At sci when I was talking to the benchmade guys they mentioned that cardboard and packing tape were amoung the worst possible uses that damage a knife blade

That is what they make sharpeners for I use my knife to cut what is needed at the time.

I
If it needs sharpening when done so be it.

I hate sharpening my knives - like cleaning guns it sucks. Something one has to do not something one wants to do.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cardboard boxes are often coated with silica powder to keep them from sliding upon one another. Death to most any blade. I too use box cutters and re-sharpen frequently on a steel or cera stix.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote