The Accurate Reloading Forums
Knive use - cardboard box cutting

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/1971077922

27 February 2017, 09:51
Beretta682E
Knive use - cardboard box cutting
At sci when I was talking to the benchmade guys they mentioned that cardboard and packing tape were amoung the worst possible uses that damage a knife blade.

I really like the benchmade mini griptilian knives - Great blade for $100.

I bought a couple of Kershaw starter
For $5 at academy on clearance for cardboard boxes. The primary use for my knives.

The griptilian has held up pretty good over years of cardboard box cutting.

Mike
27 February 2017, 10:53
Big Wonderful Wyoming
My trick on cardboard is to use a blade 3 times heavier than I normally use.

I have a defensive weapon knife I call it Smashit!

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-St...atchet/dp/B00BD53IYG
27 February 2017, 12:59
Big Wonderful Wyoming
I was just looking at mine, it is slightly differen but the the answer is the same.

square ended, weighs almost 2.5 pounds.
27 February 2017, 19:41
Beretta682E
A professional box cutter blade might be the best choice for anyone doing real cutting.

I can made due with a heavy $5 knife.

Mike
27 February 2017, 20:32
p dog shooter
quote:
At sci when I was talking to the benchmade guys they mentioned that cardboard and packing tape were amoung the worst possible uses that damage a knife blade

That is what they make sharpeners for I use my knife to cut what is needed at the time.

I
If it needs sharpening when done so be it.
27 February 2017, 20:51
richj
razor utility knife, I re-sharpen the razor and they seem to last longer and work better.
27 February 2017, 20:52
Beretta682E
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
At sci when I was talking to the benchmade guys they mentioned that cardboard and packing tape were amoung the worst possible uses that damage a knife blade

That is what they make sharpeners for I use my knife to cut what is needed at the time.

I
If it needs sharpening when done so be it.

I hate sharpening my knives - like cleaning guns it sucks. Something one has to do not something one wants to do.

Mike
10 May 2017, 00:23
Bobster
Cardboard boxes are often coated with silica powder to keep them from sliding upon one another. Death to most any blade. I too use box cutters and re-sharpen frequently on a steel or cera stix.