New
Find
Notify
Tools

1x30 Sander
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So my new 1x30 sander comes and a supply of belts from Empire abrasive arrive soon after. Boy do I suck at this game! Can checker a 1911 grip frame 30 lines per inch but suck at this! Will keep trying to figure this out but keep looking at the 2X8 oil stone and the 2X8 Spyderco. Have a box of 40 junk knives to learn on (A few Bucks)not sure how long it takes to get decent?

Posts: 143 | Location: mid-michigan | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckey,

Seems you're asking about using a 1x30" sander for making knives. I've done that in the past and have had pretty good results for a hobbyist. I still have one now that is handy for finishing handles, guards/bolsters etc. If that's currently your primary tool, I suggest you try fairly short blades in the 3" range, and use thinner stock. My experience would suggest 1/8" max.

This is a rather broad topic to try discussing at large, but PM and I'd glad to share some suggestions and lessons learned via phone if you wish...

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops,

Just saw your earlier post about sharpening. That's probably a better application for your 1x30.

Still be glad to discuss via phone...

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You! Just tired of using a stone and thought this may save a little time? Like all things there is a learning curve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot more too this using a belt sander then youtube let on!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a Lansky sharpener or something similar. It keeps the angle constant, it's very simple to put a very sharp edge on a knife.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a full bench of knife sharping goodies,Got dad's old wet stones from the shop plus some 2X8" flat ceramics. It's not that I can't get a knife shaving sharp I've gotten real good at it in the last 50 years what I'm hoping for is seeing how lazy I can be doing it.I need my spare time for naps, watching old westerns and going to the shooting range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good response buckey! lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be so honest but with a wife that has a PHD in taking the edge off a blade I no longer want to spend time that I could use drinking Beer, Fishing, Sleeping and more fun things sitting in the basement at a wet stone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my 1X30 to put a rough bevel on a blade. Then go to paper wheels for sharpening.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote