THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    My new "BWANA" knife / Update on use...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new "BWANA" knife / Update on use...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are some pictures of my new "Bwana" knife. Mike Carter, the builder was referred to me by Safarikid...Thanks Tom!!!

Mike,
If your watching, jump in with any detailed questions that may be asked, and a big THANKS for taking on this project for me! I am most proud of this knife, and you should be too. Cool

Damascus blade, guard, and pommel. Scales are Giraffe leg bone.

Big (12"OAL w/6.5"Blade), but light (1/8" thick). Well ballanced and handles fast. Long deep belly for skinning big game.

Mike built and tooled the sheath as well.

I am not great with a camara, So I have posted Mike's pictures. This project started with my thoughts of a big African looking knife, that was light enough to use without wearing you out...and light enough to carry on a belt without pulling your pants down. Mike is great with computer images and a true pleasure to deal with. He would listen to my ideas, suggest his own (from experience), and send computer images, so I could see if we were thinking the same. Mike worked with me every step of the way until after about 40 e-mails between us, he shipped me this knife.
Hope you enjoy the pictures...
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I enjoy seeing how true custom knives turn out. congrats.
Questions:
What is the spacer material on the guard and pommel? layered vulcan?
Can you post a close up of the filework?

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knife, love the overall design. How long did you have to wait for it to be built? By the way my wife and I love to stop at Adelines in Clinton when we are in the area. Pretty good food, great margaretas.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The blade shape is fantastic. Reminds me of the Ghurka knife, lovely excecution. Hope it gets to cut hide and meat, it deserves to.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2678 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice well thought out knife! That would be one to depend on for sure.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeti,
The blade, guard, spacers, and pommel, are all Alabama Damascus.

Larry,
This project took about 4 months, but Mike was behind on some back orders. I think he moves pretty fast compared to some builders. He is getting numerous projects now. I have asked him to build 5 more designs for me. My goal is to have a matching set with this 12", a similar 10", an 8" drop point, and a neck knife...all with matching damascus and giraffe scales. Two of my friends will receive an 8" drop point, that matches this set.
Mike can handle several projects at a time, so don't worry about my knives slowing him down. Here is his web page: www.cartercrafts.com

Von Gruff,
This knife was built to use!!! I skin 20-40 Whitetails every season, helping at the Locker, and helping out friends. These along with the hogs, elk, buff, etc...keep my knives busy. This one was designed for larger game, with the big sweeping belly. I think it will work great!

Thanks to all for your comments!
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments on the "Bwana" knife. It was a fun project and ND is a pleasure to work with. I love working with a good customer to come up with a really unique custom knife.

The steel is Alabama Damascus. It is made from (4) layers 5160 spring steel, (3) layers203E low carbon high impact high nickel mild steel alloy, (3) layers 52100 ball bearing steel, and (3) layers 15N20 band saw blade material. These 13 layers of 4 types of steel are forge welded and then folded 5 times to achieve 416 layers.

The black spacers are vulcanized fiber spacer material added for accent.

The filework is an arrow design.

If you want to see how I made this knife, I have a page on my website showing the process at Bwana Knife Project

Posts: 31 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 03 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you are a true craftsman for sure. The knife is truly a piece of art. Congratulations all around to ND and you for putting it together.

NitroDave, I eat at Adeline's, doesn't that make us friends, shouldn't I be waiting for UPS to send me my knife?? PM if you need my address. Big Grin

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
PM me next time you are going to be in town, and I will try to meet you there. I love to eat anywhere they serve booze and food! If you like blades, I have many customs that I could show you.
Here is a some good advise to a "Friend" Big Grin...contact Mike Carter at the link above and contract him to build you a custom knife. He is most reasonable, fast, does great work, and is a true pleasure to work out designs with. Smiler
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ND I agree you gave good advice to a friend, one day perhaps when I sell some trees, I'll get me a custom, and Mike is no doubt the real deal.

We (my wife & I) are taking a scooter ride to the Grand Canyon on Aug. 3. We more than likely will use I40 either going or returning, so Adeline's is a possibiliy. I would love to buy you supper there if the oppertunity presents itself. I'll send you a PM before we go.

lm

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Great Knife thumbVery-very Nice!That Mike Carter is so talented!He also makes excellent sheaths and takes professional pics all along the way of its construction...Prices are reasonable and lenght of delivery is also reasonable!
Larry,had dinner with Otto the other night when I was in "Nawlins" clap

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep coming back to this one to admire it....wow what a good all round knife. I wouldn't mind one made a bit more "mundane" so I could treat it harshly without feeling bad about it.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Mike can make you the same knife but in stainless if Nitrodave wouldnt mind..any handle material you like too! He has it All! thumb

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
It came out nice, didn't it? I have been showing off, this bad ass bush knife, to my friends. Mike and I are already planning the next in this series of knives. There will be a 10" Mbogo similar to the 12" Bwana. Then an 8" Simba caping knife and a neck knife. Haven't picked the right name for the neck knife yet. They will all be the Alabama Damascus with Giraffe leg bone scales. Cool
Mike is such a pleasure to work with...what a talented man!!! thumb

Chef,
I have no issues with Mike making similar blades for whoever wants them. He is the builder and brought the design to life. I am just flattered that people like it. Big Grin

Mike,
I should have the ideas for the second knife lined out in a couple of weeks. I will e-mail you.
Thanks, ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an update on the performance of this knife...It is made with the Alabama Damascus in question on another thread here.

Six weeks ago, I hunted Russian Boars with a friend. Two pigs were taken at 420-lbs and 360-lbs (I have pictures, but home computer "Tapped-Out"). This knife caped out both piggys without touching a steel(armor was approaching 1" thick). The next morning I shot a beautiful Corsican Ram and caped it as well...knife was still sharp. Upon returning home, I hit it a few strokes with the steel, and it was ready to go again.

Shot a 145" Whitetail 8-point on Halloween night(Muzzleloader) and made quick work of the cape, with this knife.

Skinned and boned a doe for my Wife's cousin...caped a 140" 8-point for my Wife...caped a nice 142" 10-point for my son last week, in rifle season...all with this knife. It holds a good skinning edge for several animals at a time, without sharpening.

I have skinned over 1000 whitetail deer at the locker, over the past 25 years(other knives).
A lot of edge holding in a blade, is "staying out of the Hair". Cut from the "inside-out", stay out of the hair, and your edge will last much longer.

I'm not bragging on myself here...just bragging on a well made knife Big Grin.
Mike Carter built this knife for me, with the understanding that I would use it regularly. I can't see having a beautiful knife made, and then just locking it in the safe. I take great care of this knife, and all my knives, but I use them for what they were built for.

Thanks again Mike!!! You have created a beautiful and highly functional knife, that has performed as well as I had hoped, when we began this project Wink.
My e-mail, currently has "Downs Syndrome"... computer is 10 years old. I will contact you when I get a new one up and running. The recent purchase of another double rifle, has set me back on the next knife project a bit. I will e-mail you this spring, with some ideas.
Thanks, ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitrodave, Thanks for the report and the kind words. I do like to keep up with how my knives are performing in the field. I'm very happy to hear that one is working out well for you. Looking forward to working with you agin.

Mike

Posts: 31 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 03 January 2009Reply With Quote