Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife sharpener
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone recommend a knife sharpening machine that really does the job for a taxidermy shop?

Posts: 19 | Location: salmon id | Registered: 01 March 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I use. Indestructable, accurate and uses standard stones.
https://ezesharp.com.au/produc...ory/blade-sharpener/
Cheers
BB

Posts: 391 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://www.worksharptools.com...nife-tool-sharpener/

Check out all the reviews on youtube on this. Quick and easy to get sharp.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I sharpen professionally (yes, I have a full service shop) and recommend either using a professional in the business or spending the big bucks on the commercial grade Chef's Choice machine. It is expensive. Do not waste your money on anything less.
Then you also need to learn how to properly hone and deburr your blades.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I found 2 Chief’s choice commercial sharpeners on Amazon. Which model do you recommend?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
what kind of edge do you want?
a v edge, a convex edge or a hollow grind?
In many opinions on the matter, the convex is best then the V then the hollow grind. Once you know what edge you want then the options become clearer.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I found 2 Chief’s choice commercial sharpeners on Amazon. Which model do you recommend?

I use the 2100 model. When the grinding wheels wear out you only need to buy a new cartridge.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/NKdY-owSdz4

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got the chefs choice 15XV in the kitchen and the Ken Onion in the shop.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Work Sharp is what we use for our skinners in our hunting camps. The belts don't last long, but they are relatively inexpensive. If I could find something like a Chef's Choice for moderate volume I would use it.

But before we bought the Work Sharps, our guys were using concrete and water. So....

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10-4 on the belts. i use mostly the coarse grit ones to avoid an all day knife sharpening. they DO wear out fast. i buy about 20 at a time.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a worksharp Ken onion as well. I think the edge they put on a knife lasts longer.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:
I use a worksharp Ken onion as well. I think the edge they put on a knife lasts longer.

The Ken Onion can put a convex edge on that does last longer than a V edge or a hollow grind edge (Not talking about the blade profile, just the edge)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently had a knee replacement so had a month of time to kill. I investigated all kinds of sharpening systems but didn’t delve into the high-end systems. I’ve always been able to get a fine edge on a knife but it took way too long. Some years ago I started sharpening wood chisels and planer blades on a glass plate with wet or dry sandpaper glued to it with spray adhesive. I use 80, 100, 400, 1000 and 2000 grit. Then very fine paper ending about 10 micron. It works with chisels and plane blades because the angle is low. It also works well with knives as long as the angle isn’t more that about 22 degrees. Otherwise you cut the paper with the knife. More recently I started using paper wheels on a buffer motor at 3450 rpm One wheel has carbide grit and the other has fine jeweler’s rouge. I can sharpen a completely dull knife in about two minutes, then about 20 strokes on a leather strop mounted on a board. The strop uses a fine abrasive in wax. The paper wheel system will get a blade shaving sharp. Go on youtube and look up paper wheel knife sharpening. I sharpen with the wheels rotating away from me. Good luck.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had one a those from Grizzly a few years ago. got the blades sharp as advertised but the grit wears off the wheel too soon and i never could glue the replacement grit powder on the wheel good enough.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/gK9B1_NXujs

I need a bench grinder to get me those paper wheels and try a plywood disc like Gough knives uses as well.

I recently got some 1000 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper and can get great results pretty quick. I need to try the toothy edge with bite on one side and mirror polish on the other to get the best of both worlds. I have read about great results this way. 800 grit on one side and 3000 on the other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently you mix up abrasive and glue, then apply it to the wheel and let it dry. Then use a scrap piece of steel to le val the wheels surface. I’ve only sharpened about 40 knives so far and the abrasive is still glowing strong. The manual says it’s good for 100 knives.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

I use the 2100 model. When the grinding wheels wear out you only need to buy a new cartridge.

we do a fair amount of hog and deer cutting plus kitchen knife use and sharpening for my son. so i broke down and bought this one on your reccomendation. wish i'd done it in the first place! works FAST. getting a pocket knife or a cleaver to shave is no big deal now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used an Edge Pro Apex model from Hood River Or. This is good for everything esp. fine custom knives. Google Edge Pro (the knife sharpener for the 1%)
Dave

Posts: 115 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I need to check out that 2100 model. I am (literally) in the stone age. I still sharpen all my knives with my whetstones. Ann, does the 2100 also work on sharpening scissors +/or metal snips?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a lot of blades the Chef's Choice 2100 is well worth the cost. You can also sharpen for others to make up your investment if needed.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what about Wicked Edge?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I bought one on Amazon, works great for the knives + so/so on the scissors; I haven't tried my tin snips yet.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a WE gen 3 pro on way in. which one u get?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use big ole flat stones in rough med and fine grit...slow but works, and doesn't wear the knife out..works for me.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you use a lot of blades the Chef's Choice 2100 is well worth the cost. You can also sharpen for others to make up your investment if needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

it is one hell of a sharpener. i use it mainly on kitchen knives as it is really fast once you get the the edge shaped on the coarse wheel. i have had a LOT of diff sharpening tools over the last 50 years or so. all but the 2100 and the WE are collecting dust. need to give em to the kids or sell em. the WE sits on a bench in the shop and the 2100 on the kitchen counter top. once you get the hang of the WE it is light years ahead of the ken onions, belt shaper/sharpeners, etc etc. Using the "cube" with the WE you get both sides of the apex exactly the same, and thats the secret i have found to sharp. and understanding the "false burr". the diamond stones i have are from 100-2500 grit. i stop at 800 on the skinners. when i sharpen my sons skinning and boning knives i also include band aids. he thought it was a joke at first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2100 has the nice shallow "Asian" 15* angle which is much better that some other electric sharpeners.

I use a belt sander clamped upside down on a workmate bench and a reastat (Variable speed controller) hooked up. If the knife is in bad shape I start with that, 200 grit, at super slow speeds then I use wet/dry paper glued to a wood block on my bench 300 -600 by hand. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote