Find
Notify
Tools

TV Knife Show Quality
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
TV knife shows:

There's the CutleryCorner.com, HoppinMadHillBilly.com and "Saturday Night Knife & Gun Show Special" . . .

Cutlery Corner in particular sells a lot of flashy, no name junk. They toss out design lines like "Steel Warrior" . . . Lots of attention paid to the bolsters, scales, and decorative "file work" . . .

Sometimes they offer a brand name: Kershaw, CRKT, Case, Schrade, Boker, Hen & Rooster, Double Duck, Marbles, Frost.

I'm not sure about Marbles and Frost. I've heard of the others.

Many times the knives are just plain tinny junk -- especially the large "Bowies" . . . thin blades, stamped hilt guard.

And so . . . Now and again they offer some interesting looking stuff --

Remington Stockman w/ Abalone scales, Rockwell 440 stainless, nickel bolsters, and about $20.

They offer some Winchester stuff.

The Hillbilly and Saturday Night shows offer new discontinued stock -- Old production runs in original containers.

I think I can see past the junk and sort out the collectible stuff.

BUT -- China is turning out a lot of "commemorative" runs just because they're fast and cheap to produce and market. A limited edition of 500 is still junk no matter how few were produced.

But now and again I see something that looks good -- Anybody else looking at this stuff? Is it all junk or buyer beware?

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Buyer Beware! Marbles and Schrade are currently made in China. If you want a good Marbles, go to ebay and purchase one made in Gladestone, Michigan.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There may be exceptions but the quality of offered items is usually abysmal. If you want some really good quality, higher end folders which are reasonably priced because they are made in China, check out A. G. Russell.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aktoklat:
Buyer Beware! Marbles and Schrade are currently made in China. If you want a good Marbles, go to ebay and purchase one made in Gladestone, Michigan.

I have found Colt knives made in China. And, to add to the knife ripoffs....in Scandinavian web-sites....knives made in China but marked "Ole Rybeck", and knives made in China, but marked "Ed Mahoney, USA" are peddled by Scandinavians, themselves.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote