THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Bowie knife from a meteorite – History Channel 24 Aug at 9PM central time

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowie knife from a meteorite – History Channel 24 Aug at 9PM central time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All,

Knife fans should attempt to tune in to the “Man vs History, Secret of the Bowie Knife”.

It features Jerry Fisk forging a Bowie from a meteorite as James Black reportedly did.

Wish I had posted this earlier, but just remembered this is Tuesday. Days have been rather imprecise the past year or so…

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m watching the show as I type this and just happened to come across this thread.
Interesting show and theory.

BTW…. Speaking of meteorites, a company, believe it was Cabot, built a 1911 45 ACP from a meteorite. It’s on the internet with pictures.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 931 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of custom knives that both incorporate meteorite bolsters, Damascus blades and mammoth ivory handles. One is a fixed blade knife, the other a folder. They cooly combine all of the 'old world' materials. I sure hope that the segment is shown again. I didn't get to see it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I read a story in "Sporting Classics" a couple of years ago concerning Bowie's knife being forged from a meteorite. Seems that the smith that followed the falling star to the ground + saved the ore for something special until Bowie + he met + showed his design + the rest is either history, fantasy or both in a well written story. I'll have to try to remember the name of the article.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Since I don't get active channels at present I have not seen it yet. They didn't mention about it but the meteorite was one of the well known "Nantan" meteorites. Harvard did a paper on them etc. 8% nickle. I ended up folding etc till I had over 1 million layers to get a clean bar of steel. Cut good.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, I finally got to see the show very late last night! It was GREAT! Damn, Jerry, you sure did an outstanding job on that knife! tu2 tu2 And, you kept the show quite entertaining! Big Grin One of the best Man vs History shows I've seen! It was also nice to put a face on the man!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When they finished filming and put the cameras in the car, every one of them cut the rope. None had cut it before. There was a lot to it not shown getting it there. After we finished up, I engraved it and sold it to a guy in Texas. I have enough left over I think I will make two hunting knives with it to take to DSC.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Can you make a Damascus blade with meteorite and another steel? I wanted to make a wedding ring made with meteorite because my wife fell from heaven as well. If you have enough material left over for a size 12 band, let me know. fishing wave

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is the kind of romantic thing that a wife will appreciate! tu2

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so booked up right that I need to pass on the ring.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would expect a talented person and famous person like yourself to be booked up but my request was to see if you just had some material left over that I could turn into a ring, that would be amazing!

Posts: 27588 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do have some left over and plan to try and weld it up this winter. If the dsc show happens I plan on having a field knife made. The Bowie I took to over 1 million layers but will try for a lower count this winter. The pattern should really stand out well.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"If the dsc show happens I plan on having a field knife made."

Maybe something along the lines of a 3 1/2" or 4" drop point hunter? Shouldn't last long if the show happens..!

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Yes, I do have some left over and plan to try and weld it up this winter. If the dsc show happens I plan on having a field knife made. The Bowie I took to over 1 million layers but will try for a lower count this winter. The pattern should really stand out well.

Copy that.
I will have to find another way

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Saw the show--Jerry very nice knife!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Pictures or links anyone?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have photos but I can't post for a bit of both the Bowie I forged on it and a hunting knife I forged later.

www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Copyright issues?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't post it on my website cause it's screwed up right now and that's were I used to pull my photos from to post here. If you don't mind looking at my Instagram account it is fisk_knives. August 23rd I think is the day I posted it and August 7th is the day I posted the field knife.

www.jerryfisk.com