Find
Notify
Tools

Skinning knife question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
Have any of you seen a skinning knife with a "knob" or "bulge" on the very tip of the blade? The 'bulge' keeps the blade from cutting into the skin. I watched a guy skin a deer with one many years ago,and it worked great! I'd like to find one but haven't seen seen one for sale since??
Roll Eyes

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a knife like that but I do have a commercial poultry shears with a ball at the tip [safety shears so your wife can't stab you ! Roll Eyes] Actually skinning a deer is not a big problem. I know of some hunters who tie one end of the hide to their truck and drive off , pulling off the hide ! For me it's mostly pull and cut some membrane and continue until the hide is off.All you need is a typical hunting knife ,4" blade , nothing special.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outdoor edge makes a swingblade that will fit the bill,also Buck makes a 3 blade folder that has a gutting blade which will also do what you want...jack

Posts: 68 | Location: Camrose Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
This is a picture of the outdoor edge knife.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote