Find
Notify
Tools

My New Scott Cook Knife
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted
It's the Large Owyhee Hunter with AAA Desert Ironwood.
I've had it for a couple of weeks now but haven't had a chance to use it on anything yet. I waited about 6 months for him to build it. The picture does not do the knife justice.....it's Incredible.....but it will still be used as my primary hunting knife from now on.

Whatcha think?  -

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Your knife is a real beauty!

I have three of Scott's large Owyhee hunters. One has similar desert ironwood handles, and two have micarta handles.

Quite honestly, I don't think anyone makes a better or more practical all-around custom hunting knife today than Scott Cook. The size, shape, feel, balance, simplicity, finish, and quality are superb. Even the sheath is a very preactical, simple, durable, high-quality part of the package that matches the quality of the knife perfectly.

You've made a truly great choice!

AD

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Allen and TXPO: where does one get such a beauty?! Does he have a website or a catalog? jorge

PS: Allen, did you get my bear pics?

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Go to Scott Cook

Here are my two Owyhees:

-
Premium desert ironwood, S30V blade, and filework.
Scott takes much nicer photos!

-
Premium desert ironwood, and Damascus pattern blade. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do the knife justice. [Frown]

George

[ 10-02-2003, 05:36: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
George,

I also opted for the S30V steel. How much, if any, have you used your S30V blade? How well is it holding an edge and ease of resharpening?

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TXPO,

I've unzipped a couple of bull elk, and a red stag so far. I was VERY careful to avoid contact with bones, so the knife edge is still holding up.

I wouldn't resharpen it myself; I'd just send it back to Scott.

George

[ 10-02-2003, 20:18: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Thank's George.....I never thought about sending it back for Scott to sharpen. That may become an annual 'after season' ritual.

posted Hide Post
Mind you, I haven't asked him if he'll do it yet.

Hopefully, I'll skin a couple of Wyoming antelope with it next month, and get in touch with him then.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
TXPO-

The knife is a beauty. I have a couple of unrelated questions.

Where is East Bernard, TX in our great state?

That's a wonderful Gemsbok, the landscape looks Texan as opposed to African; am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
30 Cal Mag Fan,

Thanks...I'm looking forward to actually putting it to some use this season.

East Bernard is a little town to the west of Rosenberg....and Rosenberg is just west of Sugarland.

The area in South Africa that I hunted reminded me alot of Texas.....some parts looked like the Hill Country (your area), some parts looked like South Texas and where we hunted the Gemsbok reminded me of West Texas......Ain't our state GREAT!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
TXPO-

Thanks, that scenary and landscape reminds me so much of West Texas, man I love West Texas so. Your are right we do live in a great state.

My wife's grandmother lived her life in Columbus, Texas so I know where you are at.

Great knife and great gemsbok!!!!

Best regards

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote