Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite handle material?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted
What's your favorite handle material? My personal favorite is Desert Ironwood. It has a tremendous amount of character, each piece is unique, and it polishes like glass. Below are a couple of examples of knives with Ironwood handles I recently made.

So, what's your favorite?

Thanks,
Lee
baumgartknives@gmail.com
http://baumgarthandmadeknives.blogspot.com/

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee, nice work.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I tend to like wood more than other materials. I love the way good stag looks but it just won't hold those looks very well when used for a while. I'm not a big fan of ivory because of the basic fragility, not to mention potential future legal issues, unless one is going to scrim it. I love mammoth ivory but the same issues of fragility apply unless treated and I don't have enough experience with that process to know how it works on ivory.

Since wood is so variable it is hard to say what species I like best, but, if pushed, I suppose I'd choose cocobolo but nice ironwood would be basically a tie and many of the more exotic burls look great as well. Wenge..... Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one I did for myself a few years back. I don't build very many, but I may do a half dozen over the next year. .404J for size comparison.

The scales are rams horn, but are probably going to be replaced with some Mesquite or Ironwood that has been stabilized. The horn dried out over the past 7 or 8 years and cracked.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
The compliment means a lot coming from you. Thank you.

Rhys,
That is a nice looking knife.

Lee

posted Hide Post
Hi Lee,

That bottom knife looks familiar.

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

In wood,

I'd have to say

Cocobolo!!!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
rudyc,

Yep, the bottom knife is yours. I completed the sheath yesterday evening and will sharpen tonight.

GW,

Thanks for showing more of your knives.

Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee,

I bet you thought I forgot. LOL

Lee can correct me if I'm wrong, but the one on the left is Cocobolo, the one on the right is Wenge wood.

They say no pix or it didn't happen. However, I've skint' two hogs with the Wenge Wood knife.
IIRC, I thought to myself when I was skinning one of the hogs " I usually prefer a larger knife, but this dude cuts like the proverbia; knife through butter. I've not used the Cocobolo knife to skin with yet, but I will this spring. Lee went to the trouble to make the sheath in my favorite carry style. I'm left handed. I can carry this knife horizontal cross draw.

Thanks Lee.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
GW,

Yeah, those knives look very familiar. Smiler You are correct as to the wood types. I am really happy to hear how well the Wenge knife has performed.

Thanks,

Lee

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like stag, for a non-slip grip.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
I like stag; if it's not round hoe handle stuff. Desert Ironwood; the gold and brown streaky kind. Cocobolo and bubinga is good. I have started taking a liking to good hard walnut. With lots of figure. It stands out in a room full of ironwood.
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a spalted maple handle. Pete does his own controlled spalting, cutting and stabilizing. Now, saying that, personally I prefer stag, sheep horn ivory and wood, kinda in that order. However, most of my orders are for ivory then stag then wood. I have some killer woods in stock. Like Okie, a premium walnut is always nice.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

That's another beautiful knife!

Here's a couple more, Stag and Ironwood. Sorry that my photographic skills are lacking!

Lee
baumgartknives@gmail.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang! That top knife is a beauty, Lee.
I'm sure glad I can use it whenever I want... since it's mine! Thanks
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Some nice eye candy, gentlemen! tu2

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Too many to say but here's a few maple

and a stag just because it was already uploaded.
Lake (under license)

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
African Pink Ivory wood, a bit of knowledge for those to smart to do their homework.

http://www.exoticwood.biz/pinkivory.htm

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's set aside ivory, either current or mammoth.

Then, all things considered, I like bone. Camel or Giraffe bone is my favorite.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the handles made of bone and wood, but very important and functionality. The knife in our environment we have to use in the winter, at low temperatures. A couple of years ago we butchered hogs, when the temperature dropped in the evening below -30 deg.Celsius, skin froze at the same moment, when it was separated from the carcass. The best material for these conditions - birch bark, it is roughly equivalent to the bark of the cork oak, but stronger. For the same reasons on the handle even small unwanted metal parts. So rarely handle is formed from a metal plate, usually a rod, on which, as on the children's pyramid, onto part of the handle. Recently I was given about this knife, but instead of bone parts - ebony.

http://finnka.com/knives/sold/518-ohotnik-foma.html

I chose with birch bark, although the choice is quite is rather wide
http://finnka.com/knives/sold/page/1/

- this wizard uses different types of wood, tooth walrus, mammoth bones (greetings from Swiss customs officers), amber, etc.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way: why it is undesirable to make the arm with bones

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bone works for me...

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote