Find
Notify
Tools

Bark River knives
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
About 8 years ago I ended up in Escanaba, Michigan with one mission. Have you ever seen that movie "Escanaba in da Moonlight?"

Anyway I was driving cross country, had never been to Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota and wanted to drive "across da bridge".

So anyway, we stopped in Bark River, wife was in a hurry I spent five seconds looking, and never got to buy anything.

Anyway, they have some nice knives, do they cut worth a damn, are they tough?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are some of the best knives I've ever seen for the money. I've got a gunny, pro scalpel, lite hunter, and fighting knife. The lite hunter is my favorite of those that I have. Gets super sharp and holds an edge well.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 18 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are really sharp out of the box but it will be a cold day in hell before I hold one of his knives in my hands.
All I will say is do not trust him personally.
Been there done that.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Bark River knives. They work good for me especially the 3V steel models. Bark Rivers are all convex sharpened so for maintenance you will have to learn that factor which is simple just different.

Regards

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I follow you Jerry, there are a lot of jerks in the world, my goal is to line less of their pockets with money than nicer folks.

I wanted a Menafee, but he doesn't return emails or calls and it has been several attempts over several months so I'll buy a similar knife from someone else for less. I don't want to run someone down to buy something from them, what if the stinking thing breaks.

I even sent him an email telling him exactly what I wanted and then did the same on the phone, left a good message. Kind of gave up, too many lower hanging fruit in the world to put up with that.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been so long now that I don't recall the model, but I bought one, used it on a couple of deer and found it to be a POS AFA edge holding goes. Threw it in a box somewhere and haven't seen it since. Maybe I got a lemon, but I'll never find out. I've got waaay too many good knives.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GG,

Nobody perforates more pork than you, good to know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not true, you must be thinking of GW.

I used to shoot a good many hogs, but basically quit and rarely shoot one anymore unless I've got a specific use for it. It's a PIA to give them away and I often have to pick the dead pig up, and haul it to them, so I usually pass.

We're overrun right now, hogs everywhere around my ponds because of the developing drought and we're closest cover to a large cornfield that they are really ruining. Fairly unusual for this time of the year, I'm seeing hogs next to my ponds in middle of day.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, your right!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very fortunate to have been educated in steel and over the years have become knife poor.
Over the years, I acquired a few Bark rivers.
IMHO, I would spend my money w/ ARs Lee Baumgart.
Better design, better steel, better grind and better workmanship.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've one of their canadian specials. It's served me well for a few years of both deer hunting and camping. Learning the convex edge was interesting, but I've fallen in love with Gene Ingram's knives in the meanwhile.

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how long ago I bought this Bark River, it has a 12C27 blade and is an excellent knife. Blade is about 4". This was one of the first Bark Rivers I purchased and I have been happy with all of them.

They have made versions of historic knives. I could not afford the $27,740 that an original Gravely Wrecks recently sold for.

So I bought a Bark River Rogue. It actually works well in the kitchen for a fighting knife. Since it does not have a guard, it cuts veg's well.