Notify
Tools

Knife kits
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Hello,

My teenage stepson has a little bit of the creative urge in him, and has recently changed interests from leather working to possibly knife making. I remember years ago in some of the gun mags there were knife 'kits' where you could get basically a forging w/ the rough shaping done, and finish it yourself. I thought this might be a good way for him to get started w/ a kit or two. Any suggestions as to where I might find something like this?

TIA,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Here is a place in Europe which is dedicated to selling stuff to make knives. They take credit cards and ship anywhere though.

They have really nice damascus blades (and blanks, if your son ever wants to do it *all* himself!). web page

Also, note that they have quite good illustrated instructions which are worth printing out even if you buy a knife elsewhere.

I have one of the Helle laminated blades that keeps its edge forever (but you better have a diamond sharpener when it finally does need touching up).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest Jantz supplies, and KG supplies, but here is a site I just pulled up with a gazillion links:

http://cutlerscove.com/links/knifemakersupplies.html

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know not much bought knives, but saw there is a man, who makes knives from files. Never saw the knives, but the pics. looked intreisting. I'm good with a grinder, I may have a go.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In this country try www.ragweedforge.com , they have kits from the scandinavian countries. You could also buy a finished blade as I recently did , a Helle blade from ragweedforge , apiece of stabilized wood ( impregnated with acrylic) and designed and made my knife and sheath.