New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Savage in 150 gr
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to load up some 300 savage in 150 gr for my wife to use this season. Anybody have a good load using Rl-15 or Varget?
Was thinking about using the 150 Barnes TSX...any thoughts or experience with that combo? Will be shooting a Savage 99.

Thanks for any input or suggestions!

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
Kreyten?

In the December-January 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine on page 85 the author lists two loads for a Savage 99 in .300 Savage for 150gr Barnes TSX bullets.

42.0 to 43.5 grains of Hodgdon H-4895

39.0 to 41.0 gr of IMR-3031

The paragraph goes on to say that velocities are similar for both and range from 2750 to 2800 FPS for both loads.

I too have a 300 Savage, but mine is on a Rem 722. I have yet to work up any loads for the rifle as it shoots wonderful with factory loads. I have a pound of H4895 just for this purpose, but I also have some RE-15 as well. If you find a good load let us know.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK..thanks....

I loaded up some 150 gr Hornady RN over 40 grs of varget...seemed to shoot pretty well...although the model 99 did not like the round noses...I had some 150 gr corelokt factory stuff and they feed just fine..

Will try spire pts next and will start with 40 grs of RL 15.

A very nice round to shoot...my wife had fun pasting one of those Champion Elk-X ray targets.

Cheers!

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
I have never loaded for mine dispite having everything to do it with, but I'm happy to see fellow 300 savage owners putting their rifles to use.

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kreyten,

I had pretty good luck with 150 grain Nosler Partitions in my Savage 99. I had an interesting project that I posted to the Forum here

New Life for a Savage 99

One thing to watch out for is as you know the 300 Savage has a very short neck and I found using the longer bullets like the Barnes and especially those with a boat tail, that bullet grip became a problem. I solved the problem with a Lee Factory Crimp die. I did not try anything heavier than 165 grains and my thinking was that the 150 grain was a good match. In my case the Partition worked well as you will see on the link.

Take care to not to try to make the 300 Savage into something it isn’t and don’t try to hot rod it too much. I found that in general medium speed loads were the most accurate versus maximum loads. The Model 99 is not a very strong action and has a good amount of spring back. Keep her mild and she will serve you well.

Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote