Find
Notify
Tools

308 NORMA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
Does anyone have a recommendation as a place to start?

I have on hand some new Norma brass, 180 grain Swift A frames and IMR 4831, RL 15, RL 19, ACC 5744 AND H4831SC.

The intention is a load for elk.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO if cost is of any consideration I would purchase some 180 gr. Sierra Game Kings and work up a load using H-4831SC. Then just switch to the Swift bullets. 70-75 gr. with a magnum primer.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Great idea. I will give that a shot.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 308 Norma that I used several years ago for plains game in Namibia with good success. At that time, I had no luck in finding brass. I used 7mm Rem. Mag. brass instead. Just lubricated in inside of the neck with moly grease and the outside with good case lube. Ran it through the full sizing die.
The neck is a hair short but relied on the belt for headspace.

Accuracy in my rifle was quite good and I didn't have to worry about picking up spent cases as 7mm brass is usually free and readily available if you ask for it.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer I have a couple 308 Normas. The throats in some of these rifles can vary and as such the max load can vary as much as 2 or 3 grs from one rifle to another. IMR 4350 and RL19 are very good powders. I would suggest you start about 67 or 68 grs with the 180 gr bullets and work up.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Geoff and snowman.

I have enough brass to last - at least enough for the number of hunts I expect to take with it.

Going to work on seating depth tonite then load 5 rounds of 68 grains for the first session.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 308 NM came with about 50 rounds of 180 gr Noslers over 4831. Good accurate load in this rifle. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be flying by the seat of my pants as I have done with most wild cats and Some European calibers like the 10.75x68 and such..

Go to a loading book, look up the 30/338 for its starting loads, should be pretty close to max for the 308 Normas only slightly smaller case, and work up half grain at a time until I got an extractor mark at least..Id use RL-19 or RL-22 to start with and then play with RL-15 and then go where no man has gone before!! shocker rotflmo but better advise is do as I say, don't do as I do..

There is bound to be a good bit of 308 Norma loading data out there..I'll go through all my stacks of load data and find you something least I can do for and old friend..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon lists lots of data for the .308 Norma. Check out their web site.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Hodgdon lists lots of data for the .308 Norma. Check out their web site.
C.G.B.

This ^^^ and here: https://load-data.nosler.com/l...ta/308-norma-magnum/

I just acquired an FN actioned .308 Noma this past weekend. It came with 100 rounds of Norma Factory ammo. I'd probably be loading one of the 4831's you have on hand.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308 NM and the 30-338 should be pretty much identical in load capacity. I have made 308 NM brass from 338 before, saw no more velocity variance than I saw between my two 30-338's I had at the time. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 74gr. H4831SC, Norma brass, F215, 180 AB for 3025 fps and moa or better depending on the day. MRP
gave higher velocity (3100) but the accuracy wasn't there.
Good Luck

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote