Find
Notify
Tools

.30/30 Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I did a search and couldnt come up with a .30/30 dedicated thread. Lets see what loads ya'll are shooting!

I was thinking of trying out that flat nose TSX from midway, or some Oregon Trail Hard Casts

Here is a link to the Flatnose TSX http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=388970&t=11082005

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I load 150 grain Winchester power points with IMR-3031 for mine, don't remember the weight of powder without checking the notes but this load shoots well in my 94 top eject and is warm but not a hot load. Functions flawlessly in mine.
For some reason having some lead on the end of those 30/30 shells looks right to me.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
For some reason having some lead on the end of those 30/30 shells looks right to me.

Exactly what im thinking Cool Something about being nostalgic Smiler

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a fun plinking round out to 400 to 600 yards try 32gr of Re7 behing a 110gr Speer hollow point. Open sights out that far is a kick in the butt.

TONY

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Oregon Trail bullets...

12 to 18 grains of SR 4759...

30/30's accuracy really tightens up around 1800 fps or less... of course that is what the original ones had for an MV.. funny how that works...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
What Dia bullet seafire? I know that it is .308 dia but some people using hardcasts in .30-30 are using .309-.310 dia. I never understood this. Is loading hardcasts different then jacketed bullets?

On Midways website all I see is .309 and .310 dia

Justin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a model 54 Winchester in .30-30. It shoots extremely well and functions flawlesly. This rifle opened my eyes to the capabilities of the .30-30 winchester. Of course I have a myriad of 94s-55s-64s etc. but none hold a candle to the mod.54. Cast bullets are most always .oo1-.002 over bore diameter. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

posted Hide Post
You might want to check the nose diameter before going too far. I bought two batches of cast lead bullets at different gun shows. The first plain base that are .311 on the calipers and the other a .309 gas checked bullet. Loaded the first ten and did a chamber check everything was fine. Loaded the second ten and did the same. The first batch chamber fine. On the second batch could not get the bolt closed on the first round, closed on the second, and was tight on the third. The third round had what appears to be land marking on the bullet. Went back with the calipers to check diameters. The first batch of bullets miked at .297 ahead of the crimping groove and the second batch are .302 in the same place.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
What Dia bullet seafire? I know that it is .308 dia but some people using hardcasts in .30-30 are using .309-.310 dia. I never understood this. Is loading hardcasts different then jacketed bullets?

On Midways website all I see is .309 and .310 dia

Justin

I shoot regular jacketed 308 bullets.. and for caat bullets, I shoot .309 bore Laser Cast... you can find them cheap here in Oregon, since they are made here...if you know where to look...

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doccash:
I have a model 54 Winchester in .30-30. It shoots extremely well and functions flawlesly. This rifle opened my eyes to the capabilities of the .30-30 winchester. Of course I have a myriad of 94s-55s-64s etc. but none hold a candle to the mod.54. Cast bullets are most always .oo1-.002 over bore diameter. Dr.C

I am so envious!!! Many people act like the Model 70s in pre 64 configuration are the rifleman's holy grail...

me, I'd rather have a beautiful shaped Model 54 in 30/30!!!!

one in 35 Remington and 32 Special or 32 Remington are also on my fantasy list!

John Quincy Adams

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
It may not exactly be what you seek but the Sierra 125 grain jacketed HP flat nose has shot and performed very well in several 30-30s for me with WW 748 and H 322.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any one who has or comes across AA2200 powder . It can propel a 110 to 2800.

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I really hate to admit this, but I have just decided to buy the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I don't shoot a lot of 30-30 and I get 2 inches at 50 yards with the iron sights, and that's all I will ever use that gun for. The velocity and accuracy of them is hard to argue with for me, and as tempted as I am to find out just how well it would shoot I just don't want to mount a scope on it.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked one up the other day-second hand.[URL= ]94[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a Winchester 94 made in 54, that would put 3 170g Sierra flat nosed bullets touching at 50 yards. The load was 33g of IMR4064, Win LR primers, and Win brass. The velosity was 2185 fps.

Snowshoe

Posts: 6 | Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
OK, seafire,
We have the boolit diameter, now what boolit weight?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Gable:
If you want a fun plinking round out to 400 to 600 yards try 32gr of Re7 behing a 110gr Speer hollow point. Open sights out that far is a kick in the butt.

TONY

pump that up by 2 grains to 34gr and use a 110gr Carbine soft point...

My favorite load? 170gr Nosler solid base Flat point (discontinued back in the mid 90's) in front of 31grains of IMR3031.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
quote:

TONY

My favorite load? 170gr Nosler solid base Flat point (discontinued back in the mid 90's) in front of 31grains of IMR3031.

AD

You know, I bought a box of them somewhere not too long ago off the "used" shelf at a local gun store, and I just loaded up 6 different loads to try. I'm itchin to get to the range and see what I can wring out of this tube. It's a G2 contender with a 23" bull barrel, so hopefully I can find a bug killin load for it.

I also have some 150 grain sierras built liekwise just for the 30-30 and I will try them next. For some reason I'm more comfortable with the 170 grainers, but we'll just see what the gun likes best.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I think I have decided on the 170gr jacketed for my .30-30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-30 Win 94 .2.58" [ammo too, long jams feeding from tube, shoot single shot] Lyman mold 311291 170 gr .309" bullet round nose with gas check 3 lube bands, 25 gr IMR4895 shoots 2.4" at 100 meters

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
30-30 Win 94 .2.58" [ammo too, long jams feeding from tube, shoot single shot] Lyman mold 311291 170 gr .309" bullet round nose with gas check 3 lube bands, 25 gr IMR4895 shoots 2.4" at 100 meters

Clark,

I was surprised to find you didn't mention one of your favorite loads of my creation..
a 30/30 with a 220 grain RN!

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loved that 220 gr 30-30 post of yours to death...
I bought the gun.
I bought the bullets.
I bought the powder.

But I don't get to the range often enoughFrowner

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Which 220gr rn load is this?

posted Hide Post
The load that I love in my Handi 30/30 is 33.5 grains of RL15, CCI 200 LR primer and 150 gr. Midway softpoint bullets. It puts 3 rounds in an inch all day long.

Posts: 1 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
quote:

TONY

AD

I was shooting 34 grains of Re7 and satarted showing pressure signs at that load and backed off. 34 Grains shot OK, but I didn't like the pressure signs. Still fun though.

Tony

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
First centerfire rifle I ever bought was a Winchester M94 in .30-30, it's killed a few deer over the years with factory ammo. This year i decided to dust it off and try something different:

170gr Lee FNGC over 17.0gr of A2400 using a receiver sight at 100 yards. No recoil and fun to shoot. Smiler

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:You know, I bought a box of them somewhere not too long ago off the "used" shelf at a local gun store, and I just loaded up 6 different loads to try. I'm itchin to get to the range and see what I can wring out of this tube. It's a G2 contender with a 23" bull barrel, so hopefully I can find a bug killin load for it.

I also have some 150 grain sierras built liekwise just for the 30-30 and I will try them next. For some reason I'm more comfortable with the 170 grainers, but we'll just see what the gun likes best.

Bought a box of which? the 170gr Noslers?

I've bought every box of them I've ever seen
and I load them all the same in remington brass
with 31grs of IMR3031

If there is any ballistic advantage to the 150gr bullet inn the 30-30 outside of 50yards I can't find it on any ballistic chart... or in the field.

And quite frankly the OGOL concept (One Gun One Load) concept is the only thing that makes sense for an iron sighted lever gun.

Though I prefer Marlins I grabbed up my Winchester 94 (1 1973 vintage piece)
before the "Winchester insanity" for $150.

And that price included an El Paso Weaver M4 scope on a sidemount. the sidemount promptly got itself tossed, the weaver went onto my
first year Marlin 1895 (on a Redfield base)

Frankly I consider the 30-30 a freebee because I wanted my 1972 vintage Marlin to have an "period appropriate" scope on it and I would have paid nearly as much for a really clean M4
as I got the M4 with a rifle bolted to it for...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My main load is 35-36 grains of BLC 2 and 150 grain accubonds or ballistic tips, or 165 grain ballistic tips. Found another load my 94 likes recently is 160 FTX's and big game.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My loads are with Varget, which is a good powder for the .30/30:

Both will shoot honest 1.5 to 2 inch 5 shot groups with the factory open sights of my Winchester 94 at 100 yards.

150 grain Hornady RN with 35.5 grains chronographed at 2420 fps

170 grain Hornady FN with 34.5 grains
Chornographed at 2210 fps.

These velocities out of a standard 20' barrelled carbine.

For those interested in such things, its a 1970's vintage rifle, in excellent condition. I have had other '70's Winchester 94's and they all shot well. I think they were good years for Winchester.
I have also had a 1952 made Win 94, and it was, frankly no better a rifle. But, I do wish that they continued to bevel the bottom edges of the receiver so you could carry it more comfortably in the hand...

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my needs, the only bullet I use (other than cast) is the 130 grain Speer flat point. Ahead of 30 grains of Re7 or a similar amount of WW748 kills Pacific coast blacktails quite dead. Makes the .30WCF in my 24" barrel Marlin 336a a reliable 150-175 yard tool.

Porosonik.

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's a reason they call the 30 WCF the 30-30; the load is 30 caliber 170 Power point bullet, 30 grains 3031 powder.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't even bother to reload the 30-30 and I have three...I find sales all the time locally and buy factory Rem, Win. and others for less than I can load them for..My last sale fetched me 8 boxes of Spitfire 30-30s loaded with 150 gr. Barnes X flat nose bullets for $6.00 a box, The Spitfire (??) guys were out behind a sporting Goods store in a huge live in trailer selling all manor of Ammo, I gave a couple of boxes to a rancher friend of mine and hes shot about 4 bull elk with them and they blew a hole thru every bull..He said they killed about like one would expect with a 300 Win. Another friend using my 30-30 shot a cow and she dumped right over...I still have maybe two boxes, but I intend to load up some 150 Barnes X flat noses if I can find them..they have not made them since the sell out best I can see...

Im calling them Spitfire ammo, if not that's close, too much snow for me to walk to the shop and find out..3 ft. deep on level ground south of Filer in some parts and were one of those parts, feeding horses day and night is a nightmare for this old curmudgeon, but its gotta be done..

I still like the 30-30 it still has its place when used properly its deadly on deer and elk.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote