New
Find
Notify
Tools

303 Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any good load data for a 303 Savage? I plan on trying 150 and 170 grain bullets. Not opposed to trying other weights. Will be loaded for a model 99 if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doc, all I have is Ken Waters' old loads from way back in 1967. If yours is an early Model 99, be sure to slug the bore, as Savage barrels were .311 in the grooves in the early years, later being tightened to .308. And of course, being a Model 99, it is perfectly safe to load spitzer bullets in your .303. This round made its reputation as a deep penetrator with the 190-grain bullet, but I don't know of anyone making this weight currently.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16337 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I've got a mess of 303 Savage ammo, both factory and handloads, that I'll get rid of cheap; also, I may still have a few pulled 190's that I haven't yet stuff for my 30-30.
windy

Posts: 39 | Location: far from God's country | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, sent you a PM.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Thanks for the offer on the ammo and bullets. I was able to get some brass and loaded some up. Haven’t come up with anything to great just yet, but I figure I’ll keep playing with loads until I come up with something decent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an 1899 Savage in 303 and my load was a 180 gr. cast, gas checked bullet of what mold I forget. It was over a charge of IMR-3031....which I also forget but do recall the velocity at about 1950-2000 fps. Pure D death on deer. It was also the only rifle I ever scored a double with on coyotes. Three came in and by the time I shot two the third was long headed for the tall and un-cut.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I got rid of my 303 several years ago but still retainded the dies. As I like to play with cartridge conversions + assume a lot of others do as well I will pass along a piece of wisdom from P.O. Ackley. "Some folks think that they can make brass for the 303 from 30-30 cases;DON'T! When I sold mine,it went with 5 boxes of W.W. ammo. I think I might still have 1 box of once fired brass.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote