Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x54 and 6.5x55 cast bullet use
 Login/Join

posted
I use 3 Model 1903 Mannlicer Schoenauer 6.5x54 fullstock carbines and also a Swedish Mauser 94/14 carbine. Would like to venture into using cast bullets. Most likely 140-160 gr weight, but open to other weights.

Looking for:
1. a 6.5mm cast bullet commercial source
2. loads for both 6.5x54 and 6.5x55
thank you for your input

Posts: 9 | Location: Pacific Northwest - Altitude; Speed; Maneuver; Fire - Bubi | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullets I can't help you with first of all because I cast all my own and secondly don't cast anything that small. I apologize as I should branch into the smaller calibers.

Your weight choices should be great. I lean toward the heavier bullets when shooting cast but that isn't gospel. Data, pick up Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. After almost 40 years of casting I still refer to it.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAYBE, repeat maybe, Midsouth Shooters supply had a batch of 6.5 LEE aluminum molds for under $20 (plus shipping)... Cast a bullet in the 160 grain range. Original Swede bullet was 160 round nose. Original rifle had an 18 inch barrel. I suspect with modern lubes and powders you could dupe the performance with lead bullets... These were custom run molds and I would not delay. Had some LEE .224 molds too... 55 grain. Luck. Happy Trails.

As said, Lyman is the big source here. Took over Ideal Molds century ago. Sometimes faster smokeless powders work quite well with either cast or jacketed bullets. Cartridges of World usually has a couple loads for anything. Mr. Ackley did a two volume set of books with loads for almost all the cartridges of his day, thru 1990? Available from eabco.com, sometimes ebay (forget the nurse named Ackley), etc, Again, Luck.