New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 acp experimental atomic loads in my revolver
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 45acp has a max over all length of 1.275", but in a revolver like my S&W 25-2, there is more room.

I can seat 230 gr FMJ Montana Gold bullets out to 1.4" with a Lee Factory Crimp die, and get a crimp that will resist recoil.

With this bullet and WLRs, I have worked up to 22.2 gr of LIL'GUN and the recoil is allot like max load 44 mag in another N frame revolver of mine: the 29-2.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting, Clark. I saw a post about it somewhere else and wondered if that was what you were doing. Don't think I ever got back to the reply.
[Smile]

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am up to 22.5 gr today, but have no way to proceed safely.

The gun is NOT stronger than the brass.

The next thing in the work up might be a split cylinder, and this revolver did not come to me cheaply.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cylinder walls of the 25s are a good bit thinner than the 29s, aren't they?

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am up to 23.1 gr now.

29-4 vs 25-2 thin spot in chamber wall = .090" vs .065".
The 44 mag is 36 kpsi with proof loads from 1.3 to 1.4 times that.
That make the 44 mag good for 46.8k psi to 50.4 ksi in a proof test.
Scaling down: the 25-2 should survive once from 33.8 to 36.4 kpsi.

If I assume H110 and LIL'GUN are interchangeable and look at Quickload: 23.1 gr. H110 45 acp 1.4" is 24.5 kpsi, 1358 fps

It thinks that 1.59" 44 mag 24 gr. H110, 240 gr. JHP is 26.2 kpsi, 1,397 fps.

But the 45 kicks harder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
23.4 gr now.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Is this pistol still shootable?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3066 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t think lilgun and H110 are interchangeable.

H110 and win 296 are the same.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't understand? If you want to shoot 44 mag loads, do it in the 29. The 25-2 won't last forever with over pressure loads. I shoot 7 grains of unique and a 230 lead in auto rim or acp cases. It chronos at 856 fps and that is that.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking maybe new Auto-Rim brass and work up to Rowland levels?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm an old time fan of 2400; but I remember the wise words of an old timer that once said," load it until it blows up + then back up a hair." I do understand the infatuation on loads as I have been doing rifle wildcats for the last 50 years, just because you want to, don't try to reinvent the wheel. Be safe!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Did it go to pieces at 23.4? We haven't heard a word since popcorn

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3066 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
What has become of this experiment? Has anyone heard if the last load he tried was successful?
Just curious about the experiment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The OP hasn't had a post since 2005.

I think there is little hope of finding out what happened.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing that out,I didn't even notice how old that thread was...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The last load was not successful which is why there were no more posts. His heirs didn't have the login password....Wink

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote