New
Find
Notify
Tools

woodleigh 400gr in the 45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys ,I'm new to the forum ,been reloading for years I just recently noticed the the Woodleigh jacketed offerings ...do anyone here have any recipes they're willing to share ,I usually run the Speers around 2000 fps in my 86 Browning .

Thanks in advance

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Can look here, I use reloader 7 with 400 grain bullets but I don't run them that fast.

http://www.leverguns.com/artic...o/4570_leverguns.htm

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
45-70
400gr Woodleigh Weldcore
Remington case
52gr Reloader 7
CCI 200 primer
OAL 2.54"
Light Crimp in a Ruger No 1 (not worried about recoil-induced bullet movement, obviously)

Instrumental velocity at 15 feet averaged 2,044 fps

Accuracy as good as I could hold a 7.25 pound rifle with peep sight and this stout a load...2 moa.

Pressures acceptable at 85F.

Recoil about 18% greater than my .375 H&H at 46 ft lbs.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Converted Ruger No.3 from 22Hornet to 45/70 w/ much heavier barrel than factory 45/70 offering, some 22" in length and use similar loads as shown, but normally use IMR 3031 powder and 405gr. jacketed bullets. Recoil is definitely more than 375H&H as mentioned for the rifle barely tips the scales at 7lbs. Use the NECG peep sight and Sourdough brass blade front and makes for very handy hunting rifle with lots of authority(on both ends.)

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, but Woodleigh bullets are velocity sensitive, you might double check with Geof and see if they will expand at 45-70 velocity....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Just a suggestion, but Woodleigh bullets are velocity sensitive, you might double check with Geof and see if they will expand at 45-70 velocity....

Optimum impact velocity 1,800 to 2,400. Expand pretty well all the way down to 1,600. So fine for short-range work starting off around 2,000.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just happened on this thread again ,for what its worth they did work quite well ...considering it was a single shot right between the eyes on a small bull the last week of the season ...I seen a dozen or more 45 + plus bulls and a few over 50 but none even gave the opportunity to put the butt to my shoulder ! the season got long in the tooth and I needed meat ...job done.

fine accuracy with these,three quick off hand shots in four inches at 100 meters ...the next tag in a couple years will hopefully offer a better test ...i'm nearly out of Moose at this point 1q

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of getting some of the 400 gr PPs from Woodleigh for use in a 458 Win Mag and they should do well. My only concern with your Model 86 would be the rather pointed bullet in a tubular magazine.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
I'm in the process of getting some of the 400 gr PPs from Woodleigh for use in a 458 Win Mag and they should do well. My only concern with your Model 86 would be the rather pointed bullet in a tubular magazine.

Woodleigh also make a 400gr FN in 458 for leverguns.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote