Tools

.458 Win. Mag.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Winchester brass (not that it matters)
Fed 215 primers
72 gr. of AA-2230 powder dropped into case through a 24" drop-tube (no compression)
North Fork Flat Nose Solid (450 gr.)
-seated in the 6th groove for my rifle
crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die
~2250 fps average
one hole accuracy out of my pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Safari Grade rifle with a 25" barrel.

P.S. The North Fork 450 gr soft shoots to the same point of impact with the same load at approximately the same velocity. It is not quite as accurate as the monolithic solid but still shoots about 1.5". It must be seated to the 4th groove in my rifle to fit in the mag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36504 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

What NF solid 450 or?

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I edited above. 450 gr I thought all that NF made in .458 FN solids was 450's???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36504 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
450 & 500 grain.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dam Lane things are bigger in Texas!!! Steve teased me about poking a buffalo in the eye with my lowly 24 inch barrel rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best powder for accuracy that I have tried is Hodgdon's H-335. Ramshot Exterminator is the least temperature sensitive and by far the cleanest burning. AA-2230 and Ramshot Exterminator can be used with 500 grain bullets without compression @ 72 grains each. 2150 fps is easily achieved with all these powders with lead core bullets from Woodleigh and Hornady.

I do not flare my case mouths. I use a Lyman .50 cal VLD inside chamfer tool with 6 good twists. I anneal after every shot to ensure proper neck tension. As I use a Lee crimp die, the annealing helps with case life.

Good shooting.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
ttt for twoseventy

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dang it Lane, you're making me get the hots for another .458.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is 458 data on the other end of the spectrum:

Cutting Edge Bullets: 258gr Flatbase Raptor
Federal 215Match primer
Remington brass
81gr RL7
Gives right at 3000fps and is a pleasure to shoot. Very accurate too.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Andy, what would you use that load on? Deer and hogs?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I have it on very good authority, it has been used on gigantic moose, hippo, cape buffalo-cow, and all sorts of other critters. It is a tough bullet that penetrates like crazy.

81gr is near top end. I am working a new load with 75gr to develop around 2400fps to use with night vision for smashing hogs.

These bullets shear(function as designed)all the way down to 1400fps impact velocity.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote