Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite .45-70 plinking load?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Been a while, but mine was the Lee 457-340 cast boolit over 15 grains of Unique.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Same projie or RCBS 325 over 10.5 of unique for 1105 fps . . .
Or so I have heard!

Don't know how it holds up over distance, I have only shot it at 50 yds . . . wait maybe at 106 out of a 1886.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
405 cast bullet over 25 grains of H322 is a zero recoil load that shoots to the point of aim out to 100 yards in my 1895G Marlin.

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A lot of years ago I found, what was alleged to be a 250 grain SWC two cavity mould made by Lyman, at a gun show. Turned out not to be one of Lyman's best efforts. The as cast bullets were a smidge larger then ,457 and weighed , depending on alloy, some were around 270 grains. I had a Ruger Blackhawk and a Siamese Mauser converted to 45-70. My first casting sesion with the mould produced something like 300 usable bullets. When I tried to size and lube in the Lyman sizer it was a bit stiff to push them down. I broke out the mic, checked the size. Those castings did fine in the ,458 die.
I found 13 grains of Unique tamped down with a two inch square of kleenex on top. Use a 3/8th inch brass rod to tamp with. This was a fun load for beginners and worked well on squirrels.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a good rifle----any bullet using Unique or 2400! Check for cast bullet data and use any bullet in the same weight range! 11-15 gr. Unique-----24-30 gr. 2400.

Hip

Posts: 1784 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Any lead bullet, usually 300, over 5744; this is a far better powder than any of the other, old ones. It is designed to be position insensitive so you don't need a filler or wad of any kind.

Posts: 17007 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
35-36 grains of 3031 under a 363 grain PB projie seems to do well and little recoil.
In the Contender it liked the Hornady 300 HP with the starting load of what is considered a pistol ONLY powder listed in the pistol section of the Hornady loading manual.
1565 fps and faster than my cast projies out of the rifle.

In case you are wondering, I can not find the load now either.

I know it is there some where because I went back several years to confirm my memory when reloading a new batch of ammo.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote