Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 creedmoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Maybe just my experience . Got 3 powders that worked very well with the 140 Nosler HPBT.

Staball, H4350 and H-414.

Weird thing about h-414. it is very consistent. 39,39.5,40 all group at or under 1". 39.5 was most accurate.

Posts: 6347 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use RL-17 with 129-130 grain bullets and RL-26 with 140 ELD-M's. (finding that powder has been problematic and I'm glad I have some)

I did use a bit of my StaBall in my grandson's 6.5 Creedmoor with 130 Nosler AB's and daughter's 270 Win.

I will have to try more of the StaBall in mine since I have 24lbs of the stuff.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, why does everyone use such heavy bullets in the creedmoor? A 120 grn is like a 165 grn 30 cal. I use 120 cup and core in my 12-15 6.5 caliber rifles, it shoots broadside through all the deer and caribou I ever shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never loaded anything heavier than 120 gr either ,I have heavier bullets but never felt they could be better.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I did loads for the Sierra 120 HPBT also.

Staball was good at 44.5gr

this may be low looking at quickload. going to check the manuals again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Just curious, why does everyone use such heavy bullets in the creedmoor? A 120 grn is like a 165 grn 30 cal. I use 120 cup and core in my 12-15 6.5 caliber rifles, it shoots broadside through all the deer and caribou I ever shot.

Elk.

143 gr. ELD-X with H4350 @ ~2700 fps MV.

Posts: 105 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have loaded nothing but a 120/123 If I shoot a 140 its in my 7MM-08

Posts: 1131 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
This also worked well

Nosler 140.
IMR 4350=42gr.
avg=2794fps

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just so you know, the 143 eldx bullets are very soft and don't hold together or penetrate well. Won't even go through a whitetail deer. Have killed multiple elk with them and I will use better bullets in the future.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...
Not my experience with both factory and handloads.

Multiple elk kills and all have been pass thru's from ~150 yards to a maximum of 200 yards.

Kinda disappointed actually, as I'd like to someday recover one to have a look-see...

Posts: 105 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my experience , as I have never had a pass through on big game with the 143 eldx bullet. Except on a coyote that is. The bullets that were found were in fragmented pieces. Not much to look at. Maybe I got some of the match bullets in an eldx box.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DIs,

Now I'm curious about our dramatic differences using the 143 ELD-X.

I've kept the handloads right at 2,700 fps MV, matching the factory rounds. I've found going much below or over by 30 fps and groups would just start opening up.
All my shots were tight in the leg crease broadside for double lung shots - except one that was ever so slightly quartering away but still a double lung shot. No shoulder shots sent on any.

Perhaps I should put one into the shoulder and see if I get what you've experienced? Dunno.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will probably have a real mess if you hit a big bone using the bullet in question. All my big game shots with the 143gr eldx bullets were broadside too and no exits, not even on deer. Lots of bloodshot meat too. Same shot placement with a 140 gr Sierra BTGK was an exit. I guided elk hunters for a living for many years, so I know a little about killing big game animals. The bullet is accurate, but not very tough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not a reply ,another ? anyone load long range target berger 140 gr. . new to the 6.5 creedmoor and bullets hard to find. thanks

posted Hide Post
Cadex CDX-30 6.5CM: 140gr Berger Hybrid Target (26” 1:8” twist)

Lapua brass (LRP) CCI BR2 primers, 44.0gr IMR4350
Fire formed headspace (Whidden tool): 1.5220”
CBTO measurement: 2.239“ (.010” jump) 2905fps (@22c)

ELR in the Great White North

Posts: 4 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 25 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Just curious, why does everyone use such heavy bullets in the creedmoor?

Isnt that supposed to be the reason that everyone needs a creedmore? The factory fast twist for handeling uber high bc bullets? I find it ironic to see so many who went out and got themselves a creedmore just to end up shooting run of the mill bullets that can be used in ANY chambering! hilbily

Posts: 10107 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great that the CM has brought energy to the shooting sports...all for it. Will stick with the Swede.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DIs:
Just so you know, the 143 eldx bullets are very soft and don't hold together or penetrate well. Won't even go through a whitetail deer. Have killed multiple elk with them and I will use better bullets in the future.

Same trouble for us, very odd results on Whitetailed Deer, actually horrid results. I got kicked off of 2 Facebook game hunting groups for talking about our poor experiences with the Hornady ELD x bullets.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puddle:
DIs,

Now I'm curious about our dramatic differences using the 143 ELD-X.

I've kept the handloads right at 2,700 fps MV, matching the factory rounds. I've found going much below or over by 30 fps and groups would just start opening up.
All my shots were tight in the leg crease broadside for double lung shots - except one that was ever so slightly quartering away but still a double lung shot. No shoulder shots sent on any.

Perhaps I should put one into the shoulder and see if I get what you've experienced? Dunno.

quote:
Originally posted by DIs:

Same trouble for us, very odd results on Whitetailed Deer, actually horrid results. Broadside in the ribs and exploded in a surface wound, several different deer from 100 yards to just over 200 yards. I got kicked off of 2 Facebook game hunting groups for talking about our poor experiences with the Hornady ELD x bullets. I switched the shooter over to Sierra Gamechanger 130 grain tipped Gamekings and he killed his first Bull at 430 yards, one exit one stayed in the Bull but didn't find it.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Never been a fan of the Creedmoor. Have had clients loose more deer with this round than any other caliber. Deer that we recovered we have had to track. Why not use a 300 or enough gun to not make an animal suffer.

Posts: 511 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pepper3:
not a reply ,another ? anyone load long range target berger 140 gr. . new to the 6.5 creedmoor and bullets hard to find. thanks

Got a bunch of those, usual load was 41.5 g H4350 for me.

They shoot ok in my rifle, but for some odd reason it likes the hornady 140 match HPBT best.

The Berger’s are 3/4 MOA, as are the Hornady tipped bullets.

The Nosler CC and Sierra MK are 1MOA.

The Hornady HPBT is .5 MOA.

Not sure why- SAKO TRG rifle, shots everything decently, but some exceptionally.

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never been a fan of the Creedmoor. Have had clients loose more deer with this round than any other caliber. Deer that we recovered we have had to track. Why not use a 300 or enough gun to not make an animal suffer.

A 6.5 creedmoor is a ballistic twin of the 260 rem, I have both, if yall lose deer its not the rounds fault, its poor bullet placement

Posts: 1131 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
quote:

A 6.5 creedmoor is a ballistic twin of the 260 rem, I have both, if yall lose deer its not the rounds fault, its poor bullet placement

I agree with this, I've shot enough animals with the 6.5 creedmoor to know that a properly placed bullet will take care of business. On the other hand, a poorly placed bullet will result in a long tracking/lost animal scenario, no matter what cartridge is used.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im new to the Creedmoor, but its close enough to the 250-3000 to be sure its a killer of deer and elk, I will be using the 160 gr round nose Hornady bullet, the 6.5 made its long reputation with such a bullet and Ive used that bullet in several other 6,5s and it worked every time..Ive seen the 6,5 x54 Mannlicher work miracles on elk and deer and in Africa on PG culling..Made its fame on killing elephants. Im confident I can kill deer and elk with it, just as I have with my 25-35 and 250-3000..the long range claims advertised on the Creedmoor I will put aside and keep my shoots on this side of 200 yards..The caliber is failing by some from too soft bullets is my best guess or so it appears.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned before, I've been dropping elk with the 143 ELD-X for a number of years now, always taking pains to avoid the big bones.

I've now got a pile of 156 gr. Oryx I'm going to load up and see if the barrel will shoot them. If it does, then I'll have a go at more elk using them. Where I've been hunting elk I've always been able to get to within 250 yards of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 160 Hornadys and 155 Lapua on order for my new Creedmoor and if they don't work I hope to get them to work in my 1903 MS that Im having some problems with and I can fix but ruining the collector value of the gun in the process, but Im a shooter not a collector..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, Puddle, look forward to your results with the heavier bullets.
And here's the thing about the Creedmoor: if it is "not enough gun", then neither are the .260 Remington or the 6.5 Swede.
Most of us know that is absolutely not the case.
My two current 6.5s are a Grendel in the Ruger American Predator, and the Creedmoor in the Ruger Hawkeye LRTR. Both are very accurate, but I would of course be more conservative in terms of distance regarding any game animal I wanted to engage with the Grendel, which is clearly not in the same class energy-wise.
The heavy LRTR with 6-24 Element Helix scope and Atlas bipod is of course a bench rifle.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16270 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Ruger Hawkeye light weight Creedmoor,don,t know what's not to like about it if used within its ability like any other caliber, I seldom base my opine on caliber as much as bullet construction and proper placement of the shot.

I purchased the Hawkeye because its a feather weight with a 20 inch barrel that this old body appreciates more and more and I couldn't find a 250-3000 bolt action at a reasonable price, but I may end up re-barreling this one too a 250, you never know.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Purvis:

Maybe someone needs to learn to shoot or use proper projectiles for the game at hand. If you can't kill something cleanly with a 6.5 CM, you sure as heck won't do so with any .300, either.

I have killed hundreds of game animals, and the majority were with rounds that are less powerful than the CM. I currently have two Contender barrels with 6.5 mm bores, both 24" with one in 6.5 Bullberry (6.5x30-30) and the other in 6.5 BRM (similar to a 6.5x30-30 AI). There's not a deer anywhere in this country that I couldn't kill cleanly with either one.

Don't get me started on what you'd likely call the woeful inadequacy of the 30-30, either, which I've used successfully for many animals. And of all the animals I have taken, I have yet to wound or lose one with these "puny" cartridges.

With a little 7mm Bullberry Contender that now belongs to one of my kids, I've killed at least 200 big game animals. The load for most of those was a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2651 fps MV. Here are a couple of the animals I took with it:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9318 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote