New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 9.3 X 62 loads anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for input for 9.3 X 62 load information. Mainly looking for loads adequate for Cape Buffalo and such. Will use it in a 550FS CZ. Thanks.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Some loads that have worked for me for practice, and hunting in the States, Europe and Africa are.

57.50gr RL-15, 250 gr Barnes TSX, Graf cases for 2400 fps (measured) Very accurate out of a Zoli 1900.

58.00gr RL-15, 285 Nosler Partition, Grafs cases, for 2300fps. This is my go to round and should work well even for Cape Buff if you do your part.

My all around practice round is 58.0gr RL-15 and Prvi 286 going right at 2300fps. Inexpensive to practice with and POI is very close to the Noslers.

Good shooting,

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don - Just this minute loading some 286 Nosler Partitions to try, using Varget as the powder. I have never used RL-15 for anything but seems it would be worth a try?

My normal loads are using the 286gr. TSX and Solids from Barnes and Varget powder. Thinking the solids would be the "trick" for Buff, or maybe the TSX as well. Had a 300gr Nosler Partition out of a .375 H & H fail to penetrate the shoulder of a broadside Buff, didn't enter the cavity, and made for a looooong follow up, so a little leery on the Nosler now for Buff in the 9.3. I have several hundred Prvi 285 grainers and these are my go to "practice" rounds as well. Thanks again.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
55.5 grains varget pushing 250 accubonds

Very stable within my hunting temperature range from -10 to 40

Mine is a factory blaser chamber and it like jumping

From a 20 inch tube it manages 2540 fps with very tight spread

Good luck

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The only powder I've ever used in my 9.3x62 is Ramshot Big Game, after using it I've never needed to look for anything else.
286 grain Norma Alaskans or PRVI's in Graf brass CCI or WW large rifle primer and 62.5 grains of Ramshot Big Game give me sub 1" groups and great velocity from a 20" ultra lightweight barrel. I've loaded up and beyond 64 grains of powder with no pressure signs but accuracy started to taper off.
If hunting large game I would switch to a Barnes or Woodleigh or Northfork and go.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - Snell, how much case room does the 62 plus grains take up? Compressed really tight? Never used Ramshot so don't know it's volume characteristics. Great group by the way.

I'll be trying some "hotter" loads this week to see if accuracy fades and see if a little more speed is worth the effort.

Larry Sellers

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best load I have come up with so far for my Ruger 77 in 9.3x62 is the Privi-Partizan case, 286 gr. Nosler partition bullet, Fed. 210 primer, and 58.5 gr. of RL-15. Velocity is 2375 fps. and groups run 0.8-1.0 inch at 100 yards for 5-shot groups. This is about the maximum in my rifle. I have not shot any critters with this rifle yet.

The only cape buffalo I have shot was with a 500 gr. Barnes TSX from a .458 Lott. After shooting that buffalo, I think bigger is better. It was a 1-shot kill but they are a big animal.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Thanks guys - Snell, how much case room does the 62 plus grains take up? Compressed really tight? Never used Ramshot so don't know it's volume characteristics. Great group by the way.

I'll be trying some "hotter" loads this week to see if accuracy fades and see if a little more speed is worth the effort.

Larry Sellers

Larry
With 64 grains you can still hear the powder shake, Ramshot Big Game is a ball powder meters very nicely and I've found no downside to it at all.
This rifle shoots 285 PRVI bullets and 286 Norma Alaskans to the same point of impact with 62.5 grains of powder and shoots 270 grain Speers 1" higher with 64 grains of powder.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snell - Another question if you will as I said not familiar with RamshotBG? What is the temperature sensitivity of this one? That's why Varget has always been a go to one for me. Temps don't seem to bother it. I'll look for some Ramshot in Albuquerque on Wednesday. Later.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers

Larry
With 64 grains you can still hear the powder shake, Ramshot Big Game is a ball powder meters very nicely and I've found no downside to it at all.
This rifle shoots 285 PRVI bullets and 286 Norma Alaskans to the same point of impact with 62.5 grains of powder and shoots 270 grain Speers 1" higher with 64 grains of powder.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Larry
I've not done any definitive testing as far as temperature sensitivity but I've shot groups in the low 30's and as hot as 96 degrees with no "felt" difference (delayed fire or incomplete ignition) and no extraction issues, no signs of pressure change.
My personal range is at 6800' elevation if that has any bearing.
My start loads were 60.5 grains and I worked up to 64.5 with 286 grain bullets. For my rifle the sweet spot was very broad from 60.5 to 62.5, at 62.5 accuracy was great and recoil was manageable. In my rifle 64 and 64.5 grains were still pretty accurate but slightly larger groups than 62.5 and recoil was becoming a handful.
My rifle is light around 7 pounds with 2.5-8 Leupold scope.
270 grain Speers shoot really nice with 64 grains of RS Big Game.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of 250 grain Tipped TSX. I ordered 8lb of Big Game, finally found some available at MidwayUSA. Anyone ever try the two-fiddys with Big Game?

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I used the 250g tsx on a moose and found it a little too destructive on meat. lots of blood shot although penetration was excellent. I used a 286g Partition on a moose and found penetration to be excellent and no meat loss.

I sort of thought the 286g tsx was too long for the 9.3 and so would lean toward a Nosler or Northfork for buffalo hunting.

I also have had excellent results with Varget and R-15.

Posts: 9022 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
286grs Oryx/Woodleigh RN - 57,0grs N140 or 59,0grs N150

57grs N140 behind a 231grs bullet is a good training load.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently working up a load for Alaska Brownbear. I have had excellent groups with the 300 grain swift A-frame using 61 grains of IMR4007ssc.
Chrony'd loads at 2185 average, at 6 degrees C, and groups were just under 2" @ 200 yds.
Groups look good, but never used the A-frame bullets before. Hoping to stick with this load for my trip. Anyone have any experience to offer as far as A-frame performance on brownies?

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I,ve been using 57 grains of Varget behind 286 grain A-frames, 285 Privis, and half the time the same load with 250 Accubonds. Pretty easy load on the gun and the shooter. CCI lg rifle primers, usually Lapua cases. Fool around with RL 15 on occasion, been meaning to round up some more Partitions and try that combo..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
58 grains of varget. Any case with any LR primer. Woodleigh 286 PPSN for thick skinned game. 286 Woodleigh RNSP for large plains game. 285 Lapua Mega for everything else.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My LH Win 70 22" 9.3 X 62 shoots great with Ram Shot Big Game

66 Gr Ram Shot Big Game 2517 FPS, 2539 FPS,2521 FPS 286 Gr Nosler Partion 3 Shots At .69" 100 Yards

Over 100 FPS faster than max RL 15 loads with 286 Gr bullets

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

It has been about a year since your original post. Have you had a chance to hunt buffalo with your 9.3x62? After reading Kevin Robertson's books and a number of comments on here, it sounds like the 9.3x62 is an adequate buffalo rifle. A PH I know had two women hunters show up with only a .243. One of the ladies angled a shot into the lungs from behind the shoulder, and the buffalo went about 80 yards and died. As always, shot placement is the major factor. Please let us know how it worked for you. Thanks.

Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was able to hunt Cape Buffalo last year with my 9.3
I used my Ruger African with 286 Barnes TSX and 58 gr of RL-15.
A one shot kill with perfect bullet performance through shoulder heart, lungs and lodged under the hide on the far shoulder.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale - I did take a nice Buff last year in Mozambique with my CZ 550FS in 9.3 x 62. Used a Barnes 286gr TSX and Varget powder. Basically one shot, did fire a second when down for effect mostly.

I will be using a Sabatti Double Rifle in 9.3 x 74R for this years return for Buff in Moz. The 280gr CEB Solid and the 255gr CEB Raptor will be the go to loads in this rifle for Buff. Will take some TSX and Nosler Partitions for Bush Pig, Baboon and other plinker stuff. Leaving late August and will stay 30 days again this year.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Dale:
Larry:

It has been about a year since your original post. Have you had a chance to hunt buffalo with your 9.3x62? After reading Kevin Robertson's books and a number of comments on here, it sounds like the 9.3x62 is an adequate buffalo rifle. A PH I know had two women hunters show up with only a .243. One of the ladies angled a shot into the lungs from behind the shoulder, and the buffalo went about 80 yards and died. As always, shot placement is the major factor. Please let us know how it worked for you. Thanks.

Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most interesting, a .243 for buffalo. Is that legal in Mozambique? Even if it is the PH should be relieved of his license for permitting this. Something sounds very fishy there.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I believe there is no minimum in Mozambique. BIll JOnes (or was it Craig Boddington?) killed a bufflao with a 6.5 CReedmoor and CEBs. Way back when, Bob Ruark used 244 H&H on them with inconsistent results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting if they have not changed their regulations to keep up with the remainder of Africa. Rurark was another age, times are changed in the world. However any PH who allows or uses a .243 should not be licensed.

I see that Renamo has recently broken the "Truce" and is reportedly back to killing. Mozambique is it appears back in turmoil. Be very careful there or anywhere.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is a stout load, 57gr of Hodgdon's H-414. It clocked just over 2500fps from a 24" barrel CZ550 I owned years ago. Barnes Reloading Manual #3, 2001, with their 286gr bullet.

Should do the job.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I managed to get some 250 North Fork for an upcoming stag hunt with my 9,3x62/20 inch barrel. Should be a nice carrying rifle and the 250 grain should shoot reasonably flat up to 200m without much calculating. Any ideas or proven loads much appreciated.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Lapua Mega 286 / N 135 / 48.5. My Blaser R93 with 1,25-4x24 scope groups 5 of these in 1,9 cm (.65 MOA) at 100 m.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 58 grs of RL-15 or 58 grs. of H414 in my long throated 9.3x62 for 2525 ave. velocity with the 286 Nosler..

I have used the 320 gr. Woodligh for buffalo in a long throated 9.3x62 with 57 grs. or RL-15 for 24?? FPS. in my 26 inch barrel, both in SP and Solids. The long throat and long barrel are a plus with this bullet, shorter barrels and std. throats don't get quite enough velocity I've been told on this forum???

I have also had great luck with the 230 gr. GS Customs HVHP at 2700 FPS with both H414 or RL-15 and that round will punch through a buffalo broadside most of the time and leave a good exit hole..

Although I have had very limited but very promising experience with this bullet on buffalo, it shows a world of promise..It works on Eland, and Giraffe incredibly well and they are heavier than buffalo. Might try a little heavier gs customs bullet on buff also. I have used GS Customs on lots of NA and African animals and they performed admirably in every case.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, do you remember the charge of RL 15 with the 230 GS Custom?

Thank you!

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metric:

M

Metric, what velocities do you get with those loads? Assuming you can remember a couple of years after your post on this.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jagerfrank,
With the 230 GS Customs bullet I used 60 gr. of IMR-4064 for just a hair under 2700FPS, it was rather mild in my gun so you might be able to better it??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
quote:
Originally posted by metric:

M

Metric, what velocities do you get with those loads? Assuming you can remember a couple of years after your post on this.

The 286/N140-N150 will do about 2400fps.

Another good, new load is 250grs Rhino with 61,5 N150 behind it, for about 2550-2600 fps.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
62 grains rel 15, Fed 215M primer behind a 250 TTSX...well less than MOA in my Tikka Forest.
MTSmith

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
The only powder I've ever used in my 9.3x62 is Ramshot Big Game, after using it I've never needed to look for anything else.
286 grain Norma Alaskans or PRVI's in Graf brass CCI or WW large rifle primer and 62.5 grains of Ramshot Big Game give me sub 1" groups and great velocity from a 20" ultra lightweight barrel. I've loaded up and beyond 64 grains of powder with no pressure signs but accuracy started to taper off.
If hunting large game I would switch to a Barnes or Woodleigh or Northfork and go.

I've dialed Big Game up to 66.0 gr and a 286 Nosler Partition for a clean 2500 fps. I do get 1" accuracy on the load.

Having said that, I prefer to practice around 62gr. and that is more than enough horsepower for anything in North America and all but the Big 5.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote