Find
Notify
Tools

308 Win with BARNES 130gr TTSX BULLET
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Has anyone tried this combo? Success? Failure?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot it out of a T/C Encore pistol and it works well.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded up my 308 with the 130gr Ttsx last year to hunt Elk with in ND, on a cull hunt. But didn't get to hunt. Due to the ability of the bullet to penetrate, figured that was all I'd need. Used the 308 with the 150gr Ttsx last year, in May, to take 4 animals in the East Cape area of South Africa. Worked well, but PH said he felt they penetrated "too much". I'll locate my load and get back with it.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
They work like gangbusters at ~3050 FPS with Varget. We've got better than fifty deer killed now with most of them being the Barnes 130s out of .308s and 30-06s with a few .270s & 30-30s thrown in for good measure.

I have yet to see anything better.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it works very well and SURPRISE, 4198 is the best powder.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also a deadly load in the Savage 99 in 300 Savage, you can almost get to 2900 and in both my EG and R will shoot 3 into less than 1" with a 2.5X and 4X scope.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna try the Barnes. The speer 130 hp are pretty good in the M1a and Sav 99. 42gr I3031.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Lapua case, CCI 200 and 48 gr Varget or 40.5 gr Re7. OAL 2.795 for both, which is about .030 off the lands in my Kimber.

Both loads put 3 in an inch. Did not do any refining...this is out of a 6 lb rifle so wouldn't ever expect I could hold better.

Unfortunately, only killed a doe at 50 yards with the bullet.....so no test there (except to say the 130 TTSX expanded nicely on the ribcage of a small whitetail).

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
i have shot 5 deer with this combo all at close range...

always exits
always lethal

3 bang flops
one ran 20 yards
one went 10 yards

exit holes from a nickel to a golf ball size

TAC - got 3050 approx and .5-.6" groups
VARGET- slightly most accurtate (.25") but at slow speeds
Lapua Brass
Fed Primer

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been using this bullet in my 20 in barrel 308 for some time. 46g of H4895 gives me a few fps under 3000 and bug hole groups. I have shot around 20 roe deer with this load. The one that ran furthest made 5 yards!! Most just drop where they stand. This is an awesome bullet!!

Posts: 7 | Location: UK | Registered: 05 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why the mystery ? Barnes has established a great reputation .Premium bullet , excellent penetration, excellent expansion, excellent accuracy. They are available as loaded ammo.
Most of my experience is with 44mag revolver and 45-70 rifle .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a mule deer with them a number of years ago when they first came out..Shot him 3 times in the shoulder before he went out of sight in the bottom of a steep canyon..Hate that, but went down and found him in the bottom. He had gone about 150 yards, the bullets were too tough, didn't expand..I had trouble with them back then on more than several occasions, when they worked they were awesome, but when they failed they failed miserably...

I'm pretty sure they made some changes since those first bullets and got it all worked out, or so it seems from the folks that rave about them today, some of whom I have a lot of confidence and respect for, so they should work should work fine these days.

I have used the GS Customs light bullets on deer in my Sav. 99 .308 and they are great killers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote