Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Anyone have any favorite 284 Win loads for 140 grain
barnes ttsx or 140 gr accubonds?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help but my sons .284 Win likes 130 grain bullets and 150 grainers. I can't get it to like any 140 grain bullet I've tried to make it shoot.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

This should help

http://home.earthlink.net/~rfr...iles/284loaddata.pdf

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
li

For my wife's 99 we load 50gr IMR 4350,,140 TSX

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

This should help

Excellent information!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the info.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a couple do 284 in Savage 99s some years ago..I preferred the 130 gr. Speer to any other bullet for mule deer, it left 2 to 3 inch exit holes and lot of blood on the ground, either dead right there or short runs was the norm..Never had one complaint with Mule Deer or whitetail, and it killed Coues deer like a bomb.

For elk my brother used the 160 gr Nosler partition and loved it..both of used 4350 in those early days..still a good 284 powder.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Ray, that Speer 130 does work pretty good.
My oldest boy used that load going 3100 fps in his .284 Ruger flat bolt rifle.
That load was magic on a pile of Mule Deer and Antelope leaving a golf ball size exit and plenty of damage to heart and lungs. Also used the same load on a Cow Elk. The cow was one of those deals where he made a perfect heart lung shot and she walked slowly like nothing was wrong after the 3rd shot in same spot we gave her about 10 seconds and she tipped over, one shot would have done it but she was literally dead on her feet and like elk sometimes do she wouldn't tip over.
I will give this VV N150 a try though, sounds like the perfect match.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post

I can't get this link to work anymore, any of you copy this info and can share it with me?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That link says.....FORBIDDEN

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Did you copy down any of that info?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The only thing I wrote down about the loads in that link was ".284 Win, 140 grain bullet, 48 grains VV n150 powder, WW primer".
I don't know if this was start load, max load or most accurate?
Anyone else pay attention?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .284 Ruger likes IMR 4350 56.0 gr 140gr Nolser PT
It works very deadly combo , been using it for the pass 40+ years deer-elk-moose -bear

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote