Find
Notify
Tools

Any favorite .35 Remington loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'll probably stick with LeveRevolution and the Hornady 200-grain RN for serious game shooting, but I have some lovely cast, gas-checked 205s I'd sure like to put in harness. Thinking 5744 or something similar for mid-range loads, and Red Dot for plinkers.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle likes 37 grs of IMR 3031 and the 180 gr Speer. Also 34 grs of IMR 3031 and the 200 gr Hornady FTX bullet. Both group into 1 inch @ 100 yds from my Marlin 336.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snowman. I need to dig out my can of 3031, it seems.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Glad to be of help. I'm always busy trying test loads with some new powders in various calibres that I have. It saddens me that some of the older powders are often omitted altogether in the newer manuals. IMR 3031 and 4320 are two of those powders.Some new powders often produce more velocity but I find that accuracy isn't all that great.3031 in the 35 Rem and 4320 in the 35 Whelan are examples of this. I guess its all about marketing new powder and not about best performance.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Velocities with H322 will surprise you, at least in the 2 35's I load for.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Snowman: I find some of the new powders useful, but not all. When I started handloading while in high school back about 1970, the first can of powder I bought was IMR 3031 -- to load deer medicine for my brand new Marlin .30-30 that Dad ordered from Herter's. I have never been without it.
Thanks 40!

– John Green, author

Picture of Wallacem
posted Hide Post
The 35 Rem is one of my favorite. I have shot the complete list of bullets in the 35 and have settled on shooting a plain ole cheap .357 dia pistol bullet, jhp in 125 gr, 140 gr and 158 gr. I wont give any powder charges, you can look them up to stay safe, but I can attest that these bullets shoot great in all my marlins and also my H&R singleshot rifle. Real deer killer and groups within 2 inches at 100 yds. Cheap shootin and does the job well. Wallacem in Ga

Posts: 4 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

35.8gr 3031 with Sierra 200g bullet has been very accurate for me, also.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
And now for something completely different...
The 35 Remington is a particular favorite of mine, too, and I use it in a rebarreled '91 Mauser bolt rifle. The load it likes best is with the 180 gr Barnes TTSX seated out to 2.750" ahead of 36 grs of Reloader 10X. That appears to be a very mild load by case expansion and QL calculations, but chronographs a smidge over 2400 fps out of a 23" barrel and consistently shoots tiny groups for me. Not very helpful for lever gun users, at least in tubular magazines, but the Mauser loves them.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just loaded 40 rounds of the 200gr. Sierra RN in front of 40 grains of Win. 748, WLR primers. The Hornady bullet works the same, I just happened to run across a box of the Sierras. Pretty much the factory equivalent.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always used 200 gr. Rem. Core-locs on top of 35 gr. IMR 3031 for 1900+ fps----accurate and killed real good! Also used the same load under 200 gr. (204gr.) Lubed and checked with the same powder Wheel Weigh, gas checked and alox lube!

Later went to same bullet (REM.) and 42 Gr. AA 2520 for a velocity of 2250 fps. his load is hotter than most .35 Rem. loads but pressure isn't any higher than other cartridges chambered it the Marlin M336 that I used! START LOW AND WORK UP !!! More punch but didn't kill any better!!!

Hornady or Sierra 200 gr. bullets should work as good!

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote