Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 with 140 and 160
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I have a load out of my custom 1909 (re-hardened) for 139 sp and 160 sp hornadys. I can't remember if the 139 were boattails.

139 sp - I4350 - 46 and 47 gr.
160 sp - H-414 - 45gr

Trying the 139 btsp again with 46.5

Posts: 6357 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Rich, In my 1908 DWM,I run the 160gn Woodleigh PP over 46gn H4350 for 2700, which is about as do all load as there is, and dont run the 140's at all. I do, however have the 120gn GSC HV bullet at 3235fps with 51gn BL-C2, a very accurate load indeed.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of 7x57enkidu
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have pretty good accuracy with 47.5 gr RamShot Hunter and 139 gr Hornady SST in my Ruger Tang Safety 77 thats been rebarreled to 7x57. Its my load for our monthly 100 yd target competition at range I'm a member.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go-to load for many years has been the 140 Nosler Partition over 45.0 gr. IMR 4320 powder in an old and getting tired 7X57 BSA.
It doesn't seem to be affected by differences in temperature and has put a lot of meat in the freezer..

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load for two 7x57s is a Hornady or Sierra 140 over 49.5grs of H4350. Pleasant, accurate, and deadly. When I tried 50grs accuracy started to fall off and I was running out of powder space. Both rifles also seem to prefer the flat base bullets seated one bullet diameter into the case neck. The boat tail doesn't show a worthwhile advantage until the range starts to get unreasonable.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load, used for whitetails mostly, is either of the 150 gr. Sierras in front of a max. load of H-4350. I get about 2700 out of it in my 20" bbl. Mark X Mauser. I've hunted with most of the 140-160 gr. bullets and the 150 Sierra is my favorite. My rifle has a long throat and takes more powder than most so I'm reluctant to quote my powder charge, but it is way more than what's listed in the manuals.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It seems like the 7X57 has a LOT of varying potential. Moreso than most other cartridges Ive seen. I get that some guns should be loaded at lower pressures, but there is much more than that going on with this cartridge. I have R/P, Herters (lapua), and Winchester brass among others and have noticed a HUGE variation in the weight of different cases. Some guys are getting some very impresive velocities out of this little cartridge, and I believe it because it jibes with some older manuals.

Im anxious to get some chrony/trigger time and start working up loads with mine. I absolutly love the variety of 7mm bullets available. I built me a sporter on a M-98 with a 24" tube and hope to get a nice accurate, flat shooting deer load.

I printed out your refrence 7X57 enkidu. That is a good webbsite! tu2 That is the first offical data I've seen for IMR 4007. Keep the pet loads coming boys! I may have to try to find some of those 150 gn Sierras, I have some of the 160's but I think a 150 would suit my needs better. I used to use the 145 gn speer from a 7mm Mag and have had nothing but excellent results on mulies.

Has anyone tried either the 139 gn Hornady or 140 gn BT on deer?

Posts: 10111 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have probably shot about as many 7x57's on game as anyone. There is over 1 grain difference in capacity between cases, in general, you need one grain more in a Win case than a RP. My go-to gun is a well abused Ruger MkII, and is very long throated, my loads with a 140 TTSX are 3.165 OAL, in Winchester cases I load 52 H414 and they will chrono almost 3000 fps and 62000 psi with a pressure trace. In the same rifle, a 160 partition and 50 gr H414 or a bit more RL19 will go 2750 and will work great on elk/moose/kudu etc. If you don't have a pressure trace, stopping at 2900 with 140's, 2700 with 160's will keep you safe. Mine is a .7 MOA rifle all day every day with either of these. I have shot deer with 139 Hornady's, they work, they aren't rapid expanders, normally deer will run 50 yards and fall over. I really like the TTSX 140's on deer, lots of damage inside, but will penetrate anything within reason. On deer, you can do quite nicely with standard Sierras or BT's in a 7x57, or actually damn near any bullet works in it.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Did a little load testing yesterday. I may try some more testing with 4320 in the future, but for now W-760 and IMR 4350 are looking much better. The difference in case capacity is considerable. I have an old lot of 154 gn slugs that appear to be core locks or power points. From a RP case charged with 45 grs of W-760 they made 2700 fs. From a Norma case with 46 grs they only made 2570 fs!! That is with one grain more and all other components but the case identical..

I got 2818 fs from a 140 gn bt, Herters brass (Lapua) and 48 grs of IMR 4350. No pressure signs.

2864 fs from a 145 gn Speer, R/P brass and 47 grs of W-760.

These velocities were with a 24" tube.

I intend to do a lot more testing with 4350 and various weights of bullets. I think that 145 gn Speer load may be a keeper.

Some other loads I tried were 139 gn Hornadys with 43-44 gns of 4320, Winchester brass. Velocities were roughly in the 2750 fs neighborhood.

Posts: 10111 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Besides case capacity, the rifle's throat on a 7x57 will cause major differences in loads. I had some loads years ago that I had shot in a M70 FW and a Mannlicher-Schoeanauer that went 2900 and 2825 respectively with 50 4350 and a 140 NP. In my longer throated Ruger, they went 2675. I would definitely be in trouble using my Ruger loads in a number of other rifles, or Remington brass.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I posted in the Medium forum.

The M70 Fw in 7mm likes 140HPBT and 49gr H-414. Gonna chrono it next week. Now I need to buy some hunting bullets for it

Posts: 6357 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kevan:
My go-to load for many years has been the 140 Nosler Partition over 45.0 gr. IMR 4320 powder in an old and getting tired 7X57 BSA.
It doesn't seem to be affected by differences in temperature and has put a lot of meat in the freezer..

The same 45.0gr charge of 4320 powder with a 145gr Speer bullet in my 24" barreled BSA Hunter gave an average MV of 2864fps and was very good on red deer.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 in 7x57, with 49 grains of IMR 4350 under a 140 Partition, I get 2830 fps out of the 22 inch barrel.
The 139 Hornady does the same speed as the Noslers.
The 7x57 is by far my favorite 7mm cartridge.

Free speech has been executed on the altar of political correctness.

Posts: 100 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I was young and crazy, I read the article in "Handloader" on HOT 7x57 loads. I had to try my own. I ended up using a lot of H414 and a lot more of N204 and a 160 gr Sierra in oft reloaded Norma brass. Velocity was 2941 fps. I toned the load down to @ 2900 fps and shot a lot of them through my Ruger 77ST 22" barrel. I was still using the brass in 1996. Primer pockets were tight and I neck sized only.
I measured the pressure using the formula found in the NRA Handloading book. 61,xxx cup's or psi's, I forget which. .270 loads were in the same range.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to show the difference in rifles I also have a remington 700 classic with a 22 inch barrel.The best velocity I can get with 140s from it is right on 2700 with imr4831. I have tried most of the other powders including 4320, 4350 and H4831 norma 204 and mrp. The imr load is the best. 160 gr bullets are about 2550fps.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried W-780 in this cartridge?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
780 might be a tad slow depending on whether you want speed or 100% load density and lower pressures...~2700 fs with 150 gr bullets depending on the COAL/case volume.

Once I too had "Magnumitis" and jacked everything I had to zones way outside common sense...now if I want more speed I just go to a larger case...much better in the long run. Wink

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried any 785 but years ago I tried some WW785 in my 7x57's. Currently I am heavily stocked with WMR and WXR. They are supposed to be somewhere around RL19 to RL22 in burning rate.
The WW785 was VERY slow and the WMR and WXR seem to be slower than RL19. I forget what my last load was with WMR but I think I used a near top RL19 load with 140 grain Sierra FB's it only clocked 2650 fps. With a heavy load of WW760 or H414, I get 2900+ from my 22" barreled Model 70 Lightweight.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
in a Ruger #1 (*Modern Action ONLY)

145gr. Speer HC, 139 SST
50.0 of H4350
Rem LR Primer, RWS LR Primer (I've used both).

2,825-2,850 fps. sub 1" accuracy at 100 yards. I've shot cloverleafs with that #1.

Again, Modern Action ONLY. You're on your own if you use it otherwise.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2308 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my 7x57s and my 275 Rigby (7x57) have 30-06 length magazines equally long throats and I can seat out bullets to match the magazine and throat to seat any bullet .284 or .284 caliber deep. This in effect allows me to load .280 specs or 7x57 Ackley specs, depending on the gun, but they are all shooting the same loads of H414 and getting awesome velocity..I won't quote them for fear of someone trying that much H414 in a typical shot mag and throated gun. but I get 2900 FPS with a 160 gr. Nosler, with rather mild pressure and about 14 reloadings on one case in a torture test,and I just gave up at that. I suppose its just another way of Improving the 7x57 without blowing out the shoulder, and I can still shoot any std. factory ammo in it.

I basically shoot the same 7x57s as J.Stevens posts indicate other than I use mostly H414 and RL-19 powder. the last bull elk I shot was with the 160 Nosler partition, broke both shoulder, and got an exit hole, instant kill at about 175 to 200 yards...I love the 7x57..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, guys, I need some help with my 7x57.
I have a Dakota Model 10 in 7x57. I am not in yalls league here. I do not reload at this time. I am self employed and have got to stay with it so not enough time right now.
The store bought loads I have are
Federal 175 soft point RN
Remington 140 Core-lokt PSP
Hornady 139 GMX

I have been hunting with it about a year now. Have taken hogs and deer all but the GMX.
Is there someway I am supposed to match up the grain or bullet style with what I am hunting..hogs for one deer another and hopefully an elk hunt next year?
The 175 gives me an exit on all I have shot, not too big of a hole but they have all been bang flops. Only taken one hog and one deer with the PSP so not as sure on that round though it did give an exit on the deer.
What should I expect out of that plastic tipped rascal? I have only resighted on paper with it and have not had a chance to shoot hog with it yet.
I do not want to tear up too much meat though I normally do neck shots on all game but sometimes a plan goes astray.

Do yall have any insight or information/advise you can give me? Is the 175 too much for deer? I have not been to a field long enough to see how far it will shoot well, we are close in wooded or swamp where I hunt. I did take a buck at 161 yards with the 175 last month. My guess is the lighter weights will shoot further and flatter.
Just wanting some of yalls opinions.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
This is all FWIW info as the only deer I have shot with a 7x57 was a bang-flop at 100 yards using a Norma 150 grain factory load at a nominal muzzle velocity of 2756 fps. Meat damage was minimal from a heart-lung area hit.
I last chronographed Federal 175 gr RN's about 30 years ago in my Ruger 77ST 22" barrel. They went 2360-2380 fps, which means they are not flat shooting. However, as you have found, they will shoot through about anything from about any angle.
Last summer, I chrono'ed factory loaded Remington 140 grainers and Hornady 139 grainers (not GMX's but maybe Interlocks??) like yours from my looooooooooong throated Winchester Model 70 Lightweight 7x57.
The Remingtons went 2560 fps and the Hornadys went 2680 fps. Accuracy at 100 yards was 1 1/2" with the Remmies and 1.2" with the Hornady loads. The rifle shoots S&B and PMC 175 grainers often into .5" to .7" (.33" is the best with PMCs) so it is accurate with the right ammo.
I have a question for you. The 7x57 is a great caliber and a favorite of mine but usually not one that people start their hunting careers with. I am just curious as to why you happened to choose so wisely for your Dakota 10?
Now to opine to your question:
First of all I am assuming nearly equal accuracy from all three loads. If one load gives you dismal accuracy, then cross it off your list.
If your shots are not long, as in under 200 yards, and you have had good luck with the Federal 175s, you can't go wrong with going on using them. They flat work, as the 175 grain 7mm bullets have for others for nearly a century and a quarter.
If you feel you may have to take longer shots somewhere down the line, then the Hornady GMXs would be my choice, although I have no experience with them. They are a premium bullet designed to both expand and penetrate and, if my chronograph tests are valid for your GMX bullets, they should shoot a little flatter than the Remington loads.
But I wouldn't be fearful of using the Remington 140 grain ammo. At the 7x57's medium velocity, regular cup-and-core bullets like your Remingtons should work well. They penetrate well and expand well but usually don't have the explosive effect a higher velocity often has. Hence, less meat damage.
So my short answer to your question is to use any of what you have with confidence. You will be neither overgunned or undergunned for your intended use.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I hunting with an old muzzleloader for 30 years till it got so wore out it would fire off if you hit the side of the stock. Just had the one gun.
So, I retired it and decided to go modern. I prefer single shot guns so the Dakota seemed like good quality and it was one I can take apart and engrave it now that I have got used to it. I liked the tradition of that caliber.
Just not familiar with all the different ammo for it and what they will do, hence my ponderings.
I do know I get clover leafs with the 175's but was wondering about long shots so you helped me.
Meat damage is something to ponder as we eat what I shoot.

I will take some time off in March after the shot show and the knife show and sit down and shoot more if I can find a field long enough. Smiler
I guess it would be better to fire off not more than 5 rounds, let the barrel cool then do it again. Thank you for the information.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Glad some of my long answer helped.
Great caliber. We 7x57-ophiles always refer to W.D.M. Bell shooting over a thousand elephants with his.
But Jim Corbett used a Rigby 7x57 in India for dispatching the majority of the man-eating tigers and leopards he shot and his life was often on the line in these cases. Great referral as to the effectiveness of the caliber.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
The 175 gr. bullet is fine on deer size game but you must use a cup and core bullet with a lot of lead exposed.

I found the old Rem Corkelokt and the WW soft 175 gr.soft points to be ideal..In the newer available bullets I am pretty sure the HAWK BULLETS with a thinner jacket (they have options) would be soft enough as would the Speer RN, but have not used either..

Mostly I just use the 160 gr. Nosler partition as an all around bullet, and especially like the 130 or 145 gr. Speer bullets on deer both are superb...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great thread, now that I am getting the little No. 1 ready to dance.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I plan on trying some 160 gn loads out soon for potential Elk loads. I snagged up a few boxes of Speer mag tips before they became extinct, hoping I can get them to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer mag-tips will work for elk. So will most any 160 gr. bullet.
After hunting deer for 45 years with the 7x57, having tried every bullet I could get my hands on, my favorite reload is a 150 gr. Sierra and my favorite factory load a Norma 150 gr. I consider the 150 gr. Norma as the best load that I've ever used on deer. But a hot loaded (to safe modern pressures) 150 Sierra Pro-hunter or GameKing is a close second. Most of my deer hunting has been big mid-western whitetails in the woods or semi-wooded terrain.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
46 gns of W-760 and 160 gn Speer Mag tips. 2675 fs. Brass is RP. I could prolly go up another 1/2 gn or so but it is shooting pretty well there. Same with 160 gn Sierra GK's. This would be a great low recoil Elk load for anyone in the market. It makes my 308 loads seem pretty stout.. Big Grin

Update; Been shooting at a local spot under less than ideal conditions. Windy, a folding table for a rest, so I moved up to 50 yds to get a better read of the windage adjustment on my scope. Put three rounds of the above load into the same small hole.. (0.318) Had to examine the back of the cardboard box to believe it. It is looking like the 308 might be my backup rifle this year. Cool

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Ok, guys, I need some help with my 7x57.
I have a Dakota Model 10 in 7x57. I am not in yalls league here. I do not reload at this time. I am self employed and have got to stay with it so not enough time right now.
The store bought loads I have are
Federal 175 soft point RN
Remington 140 Core-lokt PSP
Hornady 139 GMX

I have been hunting with it about a year now. Have taken hogs and deer all but the GMX.
Is there someway I am supposed to match up the grain or bullet style with what I am hunting..hogs for one deer another and hopefully an elk hunt next year?
The 175 gives me an exit on all I have shot, not too big of a hole but they have all been bang flops. Only taken one hog and one deer with the PSP so not as sure on that round though it did give an exit on the deer.
What should I expect out of that plastic tipped rascal? I have only resighted on paper with it and have not had a chance to shoot hog with it yet.
I do not want to tear up too much meat though I normally do neck shots on all game but sometimes a plan goes astray.

Do yall have any insight or information/advise you can give me? Is the 175 too much for deer? I have not been to a field long enough to see how far it will shoot well, we are close in wooded or swamp where I hunt. I did take a buck at 161 yards with the 175 last month. My guess is the lighter weights will shoot further and flatter.
Just wanting some of yalls opinions.

Jerry. I have found that a lot of American manufactured 7X57 ammo is loaded pretty weak in deference to the numerous model '93 Mausers chambered for it. Your Dakota can handle much better loads. I would suggest trying some Privy-partisan or Seller and Belliot loads. (sp?) And if you have access to a chronograph then you will know for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most any of the European factory 7x57 cartridges will out perform the American manufactured ammo. I have been hunting with a 7x57 for close to 45 years now. Mostly deer and hogs. IMHO the Norma 150 gr. or 154 gr. ammo is the best on the market. I handload 95% of my rifle ammo, but I love the Norma 150 or 154 gr. ammo. I have never been able to equal it with my handloads. It is a little bit pricey, but the majority of that excessive cost is excise tax levied by our federal government. If you're serious about your hunting it is well worth the cost.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first rifle I ever owned, and still do, is a 7x57 my Granddad gave me. Since then I've owned 3 Ruger No1's, currently 2 in my inventory, and a CZ 550 I sold to a buddy.

I have a load using a 160 grain Accubond at 2750fps using IMR 4350. I was fortunate enough to take a trip to South Africa where it accounted for two Impala, a Blesbuck and a Gemsbok all with one shot each. While 3 of the 4 are not particularly tough critters, I was extremely pleased with the results.

Last fall I picked up another No1 in 7x57. The guy had 400 Speer 145 BTSP bullets in the deal. Just recently it only took 15 shots to develop a load going 2940 fps with IMR 4350, putting 4 shots into 5/8ths an inch at 100 yards with a 4x Leupold.

I'm pretty sure this gun will get hunted with this year. Given all that, as others have already stated, there isn't much you couldn't do with this under appreciated cartridge. It's the reason I'm selling my Model 70 in 280 Rem!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing one time and got rid of a lovely .270. Then later found out that my chronograph figures for that day were in error by almost 200 fps. Just suggesting to verify those chronograph figures before selling your .280.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen some goofy things with chronographs from time to time. I always borrow a buddies to compare against just to make sure. I'm not trying to make this cartridge something it's not but it just goes to show you what it is capable of doing. I haven't tried any yet, but I think a 150 Nosler PT would be about perfect for the cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick one bullet in the 7x57 to hunt all things that walk it would be the 175 gr. Nosler partition at 2700 FPS in my long throated rifle..I could get 2800 FPS but that was getting some flat primers, howeve extractions was OK and primers were still tight when reloaded, but at 2700 it shoots half inch groups...That all said the 175 gr. Nosler opens up quickly and gives and exit hole every time and you don't get as much blood shot meat as one would with say the 130 gr. Speer..If the make a run it will also leave a easy blood trail.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 7x57 has been my favorite deer and hog rifle for the last 12 years, I finally put it in backup status to give one of my 308 rifles some field time. 48 grains of H414 and the 150 grain Ballistic Tips with a mag primer is an awesome load for most hunting. Other bullets that work nicely in my rifle are both the 140 and 160 grain Partitions, the 160 gr. Speer flat base bullet and the 160 gr. Mag Tip. I wonder why the 7x57 gets the velocities it does, crowding the 7x57 and 280.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JStevens and I are pretty much using the same loads in our LONG THROATED, LONG 06 MAGAZINES, Therefore we have more powder capacity than a std. 7x57 or a .308 and the 7x57 case is larger than the .308..The loads quoted by JStevens are considerably over book max, by 5 to 8 grs as a matter of fact, mine are just a tad more than his in some cases BUT one must take into consideration that the reloading books max 7x57 loads are very underloaded and nowhere near max for even a std chamber, this is because of the numbers of bad mausers, falling blocks etc out there and the reloading companies and reloading books are very aware of frivoulas lawsuits..Same with the 8x57 caliber..In a good Win. Rem. Mauser, Enfield they will take considerably more powder and when you improve this good actions they take even more powder..and I still get 10 to 14 max loadings.

I will suggest that you had best beware when not an accomplished reloader with a world of experience..You must crawl before you walk, and know your stuff when you walk in the handloaders relm..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
7x57
139gr hornady fp(discontinued) with 43.0gr of imr3031

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No. 1 RSI (20" bbl) that shoots much better than it has any right to with handloads it likes. Factory 175 Federal ammo is not too accurate, and chronos at only about 2150 fps. Hornady super-performance 139 GMX factory ammo is moderately accurate but chronos at only about 2570 fps. Handloads with the 140 gr. Barnes TTSX are very accurate and run about 2780 fps. Like many Ruger No. 1 rifles, it has a long throat and the Barnes is seated pretty long. Probably wouldn't work in a typical Mauser length action. 51 gr IMR 4831 (safe in my rifle, as noted, long throat, as always work up to max charges incrementally).

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote