Notify
Tools

.280 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Ol'Sarge BTT [Big Grin]

Well I can officialy join this thread seeing that I'm going out tomorrow and buying my father a Browning A-bolt in 280 that I found a smoking deal on. I priced a Ruger M77 II standard in 280 and it is almost $200 more.

I've allready wrote down many pet loads off this thread and tomorrow I'm ordering a box of 139gr. Hornady spfb.

Since he lives down in the city and won't be up here for a couple of weeks I'll be breaking it in and working up a load for him. I don't know who's more excited, me or him. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't know about you folks but I'm chompin at the bit to send a some 140 Hornady SST Bonded down the pipe of my 280. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please, stop the maddness [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Just yesterday I had told myself I didn't need too buy or build a 24" barreled stainless .280, just buy a 7RM. It's a whole lot cheaper, I can get a Weatherby Vanguard for $500, and the 7mm will do anything a .280 will do.

Then I had to read this post [Roll Eyes] Now you've all gone and got me thinking .280 again. I found one I'd dearly love to have a 24" Hart barrel with a High Tech stock and Leupold scope, but its $1150. [Frown]

[ 05-03-2003, 18:12: Message edited by: mark65x55 ]

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Nice to hear about your new 280, mark65x55.
The 280 soul is hard to wash away....

I looking for .280AI loadingdata with Norma or Vithavuori powder.
As some of you now I have a swedish .280Rem site and now I will expand with more about .280AI.

http://communities.msn.se/280RemingtonSweden

Thanks!

.280 RemingtonSweden

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweden,

I haven't bought one yet. [Wink] This post reminded me, 15 years ago my first bolt action rifle was a Remington Mt. rifle in .280rem. That was nice, neat little light weight rifle. A true joy to carry in the woods or hold in a treesatand. But at the range that thing would beat the bloody hell out of me. After 10 or 12 shots I'd be black and blue. This was the worst kicking rifle I've ever owned and I've had a .340wby, .350rm plus other magnums. Today 15 years wiser I'm sure it had a lot to do with the fact it was so light weight, plus the recoil pad was narrow and hard as a brick. That and maybe the stock shape.

To this day there two guns I want shoot, a Rem. Mt. rifle and any 3 1/2" shotgun.

There you go again. I'm lusting after a .280 all over again. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

<.280 Sweden>
posted
No luck with the Barnes XLC and Norma 204, tried 52, 53 & 54grs. The bullets group in 2" from 100yds, I want a lot better......
Will try with Norma MRP next.
The Nosler Partition 150grs still prints 3/2" groups with 57grs MRP.
I have orderd a new scope for my .280, a Zeiss A 2,5-10x48. Need litle more brightness than my Helia 3-9x42 could give me.

/.280 Sweden

<fishnfool>
posted
My Ruger M77 22" tang safety model likes a 150 gr. Sierra Gameking and 55.0 grs. IMR4831 @ 2850 fps mv chrono. Excellent results on two whitetail does this past season. Both fell forward and barely made it out of my shooting lane. One with a lung hit and the other a facing on shot. 1" three shot group avg.

<.280 Sweden>
posted
The new scope is lovely!!!
But Barnes XLC 160grs will not ethier work with MRP, have loaded with 55, 56, & 57grs. Best shoot 56grs with 1,5" groups from 100yds, but it�s not good enaugh. Proberly I will countinue use my old favorite Nosler Partition. I have order a box 160grs Rhino Bullets and a box 150grs Barnes XBT, this two premium bullets is the last I test.

.280 Sweden

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey .280 Sweden, I still haven't bought a rifle but I did buy 400+ peices of brass. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Now I just need to find the right rifle. I played with a friends Browning stainless stalker this weekend, hmmmmmmmm. I guess I could live with one of them.

[ 05-20-2003, 20:29: Message edited by: mark65x55 ]

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
.280 Sweden, I have never had much luck w/ the 'X' in any of the rifles I shoot. If you are looking for a tougher bullet than the good old Nosler partition, give the Comb. Tech bullet a try (nonmoly). In a recent killing of wet phone books I found it to be the toughest of the bullets I tried. It would be a good match for heavy game or for any of the 7mags.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Fred

quote:
If you are looking for a tougher bullet than the good old Nosler partition, give the Comb. Tech bullet a try (nonmoly). In a recent killing of wet phone books I found it to be the toughest of the bullets I tried.
I thought the only difference between the CT Partition Gold and the Nosler Partition was the moly?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Boiler, the CT is a different design based on the partition. Thicker nose jacket & the partition is moved forward a bit w/ a steel shank in the base behind the partition. It seems overly complicated, but they shoot well in my rifle & seem extremely tough compared to some other 160gr bullets I tried (see my post on .280 test bullets). They make a moly & a moly free. I don't care much for moly bullets so it gives you a choice. Click on to Nosler's web site. They have cross sections of all their bullets.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Whattya know.

Thanks for the schooling. I'll have to give those bullets a second look. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had to bring this btt ......... starting load development for a Rem 700 .280Rem Mtn Rifle. It is the BDL model, not the DM.

Just mounted a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm scope in Burris Sig rings and installed a Shilen standard trigger.

Should I leave the pressure pad in the forend barrel channel and shoot it first or free float the entire barrel on this rifle?

I have a Holland pillar bedding kit and Acraglass gel sitting ready on the shelf, but thinking about just shooting it first.

Any input is appreciated,
Clay

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
I have only bad experiance with pressure pad, sure it can shoot very good sometimes. But �t�s often this sometimes depends to much on warmness and humidity on a wooden stock. Sure if you have a laminated or syntetic stock it�s ok.

My vote goes to free-floating and plastic direct.

.280 Sweden

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
Had to bring this btt .........
Should I leave the pressure pad in the forend barrel channel and shoot it first or free float the entire barrel on this rifle?

I have a Holland pillar bedding kit and Acraglass gel sitting ready on the shelf, but thinking about just shooting it first.

Any input is appreciated,
Clay

Clay,

Never seems to take long for this thread to resurface ...

I'd shoot it first, you never know until you try it, and it might not need fixing. I have different rifles set up both ways and some of each will work just fine.

Only exception (so far) is a thin-barreled .270 Mauser that went straight to heck when free-floated, going to play with it some this weekend.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My .280 seems to favor 150-160gr bullets over the lighter pills. My best load to date is 160gr NP w/ 57.5gr IMR7828, RP cases & LRP. The vel. from my 23" PacNor bbl. is just under 2900fps (avg. from 50-75 deg.). It is a 1MOA @ 100, but I have shot under 2MOA out @ 300yds. This is from a 7 1/4# thin bbl. nicely wood stocked "mountain" rifle.
I have started playing w/ the new Nosler AB, & it shows alot of promise for a long range deer.antelope round. As my backup elk rifle, I'll stay w/ the Nosler partitions.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Had a pleasent surprise today at the range. The very first load I worked up for my old man's A-Bolt 280 were fantastic. .740. [Big Grin]

I just used the Hornady book load of 139gr.FB and IMR4350. Worked up to max and they were a inch and under. We have a deer load. [Big Grin]

I usually work through a few different bullets before I settle with a load but I think this will suffice for my pops. He can't hit the side of a barn anyhow. Now I'm going to work on a moose load for him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information & suggestions, they are all appreciated. I will leave the pad for now & see what happens. Just lucked into a uncolored, uninletted McMillan Mtn Rifle stock for very low $ and scheduled with McM to inlet the stock & paint it - might take a few weeks to get it back, but I think it will be worth it. Still going to start load development in the factory stock and can't wait to get behind the trigger.

Clay

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Like frejd338 the best working/accurate hunting bullets for my .280 is Nolser Partition, both 150 and 160grs.
Now I have done some test shooting with the new Rhino Solid Shank Bonded 160grs.
A bullet like Trophy Bonded.
Wiht 52,5grs Norma 204 it puts five bullets inside one inch from 100yds.
No chrono test yet............
Proberly I try the Rhino this year instead of Partition, if I dare?!?!

.280 Sweden

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I got a .425 group the other day out of my fathers 280 using IMR 4831 and a 150gr Nosler btip, moly coated. That little gun can shoot. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Boiler, I've also had good results w/ IMR4831 in my .280, but I get a bit better vel. w/ 7828, especially if I am using 160gr bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried some 154 SST's in the Mtn Rifle the other day and was very impressed. 1st load was 56.0 gr H4831SC/CCI BR2/3.43 COL .9" for 3. 2nd load bumped powder up to 56.5 gr and it grouped 3 into .3". Appears to be easy to get this bullet to shoot well. Now just need to see how it does on deer and bear.

Posts: 47 | Location: Montana | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Hello again to all. Last reply was in December.
I traded the #1 in the other day (shot very well-just too finicky when changing bullet weights). Purchased a Ruger all-weather stainless in .280.
Brought it home- tried 5 different handloads, 2 factory loads, and it would not shoot better than 3 inches! Took it back to the store and returned it. After a 2 hour search- for a stainless action and barrel, a synthetic stock with a decent cheekpiece, in .280 for a decent price--- I now own a Weatherby MarkV in 7mag.
I hated to leave my beloved 280 behind, but just couldn't find that certain rifle to meet my eye- and my pocketbook. I settled on the 7 as it was very close to the 280, I still could use all the bullets I have, and I got the new rifle for a smoking deal. I will still check in now and then to see how the 280 thread goes. Good shooting to all.
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
My new pet --

140 gr. Nosler Partition
58.5 gr. RL-22
Fed. GM 210M primers
Neck-sorted Remington brass

3000 fps and two groups both 0.99" (and that's with the barrel channel still rubbing on one side, thought I'd gotten it all).

Also happens to hit exactly the same POI as the much cheaper 139-gr. Hornady SP.

John

[ 09-17-2003, 18:30: Message edited by: John Frazer ]

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Badly to hear dr280 that you have go away from .280Rem.
But I guess your haert will miss it so much that you buy a new one in a year!

I can also tell little more of my loading test, the Barnes XBT did�t workt out. I have now try the most Barnes XBT,XFB & XLC with Norma 204 and MRP and the only one that shoot great was 130grs XBT. But since I used the Barnes X with with great result in my .270Win I wish to use that bullet in my .280... I have orderd some Accurate XMR4350 for some more tests with Barnes X.

This fall/winter I go with Nosler Partition 160grs, 52grs Norma 204, CCI BR-2 in Norma cases.
The 160grs Rhino Solid Shank shoot good with Norma 204 53grs, but I not a lover of molycoating....

Good hunting!

280swe

posted Hide Post
Here are my best loads which have benn tested at least 5 times at the range to eliminate flukes, my rifle is a Sig Sauer SHR970 280rem with a Sightron 2.5x10x44. All groups are 4 shots at 100yds.
160gr Speer Grandslam 50.3gr Hodgens H414 resulting in a 3/8 inch group.

145gr Speer grandslam 52.5gr H4350 for a 3/4inch group.

145gr Speer hotcore flatbase spitzer 52.5gr H4350 for a 1/2 inch group.

145gr Speer Hotcore flatbase spitzer 45.0gr Varget resulting in a ragged hole.

Posts: 12 | Location: Deering N.H. | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi Vic,

Sig Sauer SHR970 280rem with a Sightron 2.5x10x44 sounds like a great combination!!
I could also think to hunt with a SHR970, du have the Alpine??
Please write more about what you like the Sig-rifle, always nice to read about something new.
Sig is the only shiftbarrel system that have orginal .280Rem barrels.

280swe

<dr280>
posted
Not a 280 load- just an update on my new 7mm weatherby. shooting 150 bt's over rl22 and getting 3000fps. Best groups are near .65 and quite a few are 2 holers.
Really like the new rifle.
good shooting and good luck hunting to all.
dave

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi,

Get a couple CT FailSafe 160grs from a friend, tried them out in my .280Rem.
Always fun to test some bullets...

Norma cases
CCI BR-2
51 grs Norma 204
1,5mm freebore

This combination shoot inside 20-25mm (3shoots series) from 100yds bench.

280swe

posted Hide Post
This load gives me 1/2" groups and a big smile !!
140 TSX
57.5 gr. IMR 4831 ( compressed )
WLRM primer
RP brass @ 2.530 ( once fired )
C.O.L. - 3.250
This is from " my " 280 Remington ( 22" pipe )so use at your own discretion.

This sure ends the fustration with the XLC's and Barnes original X bullets. Bring on the Saskatchewan whitetails.

[ 11-26-2003, 04:17: Message edited by: Bowzer ]

Posts: 15 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Nice to hear Bowzer!!

Have failed with Barnes XFB/XLC 160grs and XBT 150grs, no accurance. So maybe the TSX 140grs can be the last try with Barnes before I gave up for my .280.
(The Barnes XFB 140 shoot great in my .270W).

The IMR4831 is quiet close to Norma 204 I use, and my rifle is a Ruger with 22" barrel.

280swe

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
Had a pleasent surprise today at the range. The very first load I worked up for my old man's A-Bolt 280 were fantastic. .740. [Big Grin]

I just used the Hornady book load of 139gr.FB and IMR4350. Worked up to max and they were a inch and under. We have a deer load. [Big Grin]

I usually work through a few different bullets before I settle with a load but I think this will suffice for my pops. He can't hit the side of a barn anyhow. Now I'm going to work on a moose load for him.

It looks as if my deer load did the trick. Nice gaping hole through the ribs on his mulie. Hardly took a step.

I worked up a load for him with those 160gr. XLC's. 1.5" groups. We're hoping to use them next year on moose cause we have a couple of boxes.

If I get my griz draw I'll be loading those in my 7mag.

Picture of 280SWE
posted Hide Post
Hi,

My new 280-rifle is on the way.
I seek for a nice matchbullet for long range.
The new rifle have 26" bbl an 1-9" twist.
Think of sierra matchking 150 or 168grs and Hornady A-Max 162grs???
What are the accurate shooters experiance?
Will also try out Hornady SST 162grs for deerhunting.

Posts: 17 | Location: SWEDEN | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
57 grains Ramshot HUNTER with 140-grain Nosler Solid Base. Compared well with 56-57 grains RL-19 load with same bullet. No chrony yet, but the group was very tight and shot about an inch or two higher.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow
What kind of voodoo did you use to resurrect this eight year old dead thread!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
With that said my sons .280 is really liking 139 grain Midway bulk mono metals that we are pretty sure are Hornady GMX's, with 53 grains of IMR 4350 and CCI primers prints sub 1" groups in his rifle, 2870 fps. He's 11 and turns 12 on January 10, on that date he can start his cow elk hunt so maybe we'll see how they perform on elk this winter.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Oops! 140-grain Solid Base. 2800 fps. Why? Because. Best wishes on the wapiti!

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Just had a look back through my old reloading notes when I had my Remington Mountain Rifle.

140gr Nosler Accubond, 60.3 grains Winchester 760, 3110 fps from a 22 inch barrel. 3/4 MOA for 3 shots.

This is a load that was very carefully worked up in my rifle, so you will need to follow normal reloading practice and start 10% below. There were no signs of excessive pressure, but it is a hot load so please be careful.

A load hard on the heels of the 7mm Remington Magnum.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I had 280, I used a load of 61 gr. RL22 in Remington cases with the 140 Nosler Partition and 140 gr Bitterroot.Velocity with either bullet was about 3080 fps.

It killed well with both bullets.