Login/Join

<.280 Sweden>
posted
My best .280 load:

SPEER Grand Slam 160grs.
Norma brass
Norma MRP 56grs.
CCI 250

Will place 3 bullets in .75 inch at 100 yards.

This is my mooseload and will also work fine on roedeer if you take shoulder shoots.

[This message has been edited by Jonas (edited 10-19-2001).]

[ 01-17-2003, 15:48: Message edited by: .280 Sweden ]

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
It is good to see a 280 loaded for moose. I hope to give mine a try on them next year.
My most accurate load is:

154gr Hornaday Spire Points
CCI 200 Primers
Rem Brass
Max load of RL 22
5 shots in .75-1.00

I will have to try the 160 GrandSlams to see how they shoot in my gun.

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from annual moose hunt in N Ontario. Shot 2 moose with .280 One of my favorite shooters. Ruger 77 old style 7X57 recambered to .280 ( best cure for poor shooting deep throat 7X57 ) 150gr Rem Core locks with 57.5grns of bulk V-160 @ 2875 average, shoots 3/8" to 3/4" all day long. Put 1 150 right through cow behind shoulders & 1 through heart in calf from front, lost bullet in gut pile. If only I could convert to clip load???

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<whales>
posted
My ELK and Deer load is:
IMR4831 @55.0grs
CCI 200LRP
Nosler 150gr Balistic Tip

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
My favorite deer load.

140gr Nosler BT
57gr IMR4831
Rem 91/2
Rem case

Shoots .5 MOA in my Rem 700 RS with Weaver V9

------------------
To be old and wise.....first you have to be young and stupid!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Please everyone tell us what guns & barrel lengths you are shooting these loads in. Back in 1971 when in my opinion the finest powder of all time for the 280 Remington was available (Norma 205) I was getting an honest across the chrony 3000 fps with the Sierra 160 gr. out of a 24" barrel. The load was 59 grains of N205 I forgot what the primers were but i will never forget the speeeeeeeed! Yes it was an accurate load too.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-16-2001).]

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Right BearClaw,

The weapon are importand.

I use a Ruger M/77 with 22" barrel and get arround 2700fps from the 160grs Grand Slam with Norma MRP powder.

[ 07-08-2002, 14:40: Message edited by: .280 Sweden ]

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
My rifle is also a Ruger M77 with the 22inch barrel. I am getting right around 2800 with the 154gr Hornady spire points.

Jonas,

How do you like your Ruger? I really enjoy mine. I have found it to be a great handling rifle which is also quite accurate. I have found it to shoot the Speer bullets, both the Hot Cores and Grand Slams, very well. But, without a doubt it will shoot any of the Hornady bullets under an inch for 5 shots. Hope you are as happy with your rifle as I am. Also, how does the .280 work for you on moose?

Jarrett

[This message has been edited by Finley (edited 11-17-2001).]

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi,

My Rugers is like yours.
I like that weapon a lot, good accurance and function.

Personally I have only shoot one moose with my .280Rem and Grand Slam, last year. This years moose hunt I only spend one day in the woods.

My Ruger also like SPEER-bullets, I have only use Hot-Core and Grand Slam 160grs.
Have you try the 145grs Hot-Core and Grand Slam?

Nice to hear fram a Ruger/SPEER hunter......

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Jonas,

Yes I have used the 145gr Grand Slams. I shot a couple deer and a wild hog with them. The bullets all exited with quarter size holes. They didn't tear up much meat either.
I might load up some more for caribou hunting next year. Heres the load:

145gr Speer GrandSlams
CCI 200 primers
Rem Brass
56grs of IMR 4831
This load is a MAX load right out of the Speer book. So be sure to work up to this.
They list the velocity @ 2975 but that is from a 24" barrel. This load shoots right at an 1" @ 100yds for 5 shots out of my gun. Well, good luck and keep using that 280 on those moose!

Jarrett

<WilliamK>
posted
I haven't had enough time to hit that "magic load" yet but my Stainless Ruger 77 22 inch barrel likes Remington cases, CCI BR Primers, 56.0 IMR 4350, 139 Hornady flat base bullets. I am still experimenting. Have you noticed that your Rugers are finicky in regards to how far you seat off the lands? Where does your Rugers prefer the bullet?

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
William,

My Ruger doesn't seem to have a real preference for bullet seating off the lands. I have done very little experimenting with seating depth as it has shot very good groups with the OAL's right out of my Speer manual! My 154gr and 175gr Hornady loads both shoot very well at a OAL of 3.290".
What I have noticed is that it really prefers bullets over 150grs. The 145 GrandSlams are the only bullets under the 150 mark that I can maintain a 1" 5 shot group consistently with. Hope this helps some how.
By the way, have you used your 280 on very many animals?

<vibrasonic9>
posted
I've not cooked up a load for my .280 yet. When I got it, I bought 5 boxes of the Remington plain ol' Yellow and Green 150 gr.; with thoughts of shooting that and cooking up loads in the brass when I was done. Well, it shot it so well I just decided to shoot that 'til I run out. This gun (from a vice mind you, not with me holding it) will shoot a 3-shot group with that factory load into a kind of clover leaf looking hole.

At any rate, I really wanted to chime in on the Ruger M77MKII rifles; I also have one in .338 Win.Mag. that shoots factory ammunition as well as my .280 Rem. It was the .25-06 which was a disappointment to me, it shoots pretty bad with factory stuff, but I did get a load cooked up for it that's acceptable with the Speer 100 gr. HP.

Sorry, not really a pet-load post, but I love shooting the .280 and am quite fond of the Ruger rifle.

------------------
Rod's Place

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Well, I know I have been posting alot on this thread but I really do like the 280. At any rate, the only ammo I used for the first couple seasons I had my 280 was that plain old 150gr Remington corlokts. They shot just about as good as your rifle and seemed to really hammer the deer. Plus I took a really nice wild hog, a little over 350lbs, with that load. For factory ammo it's the only stuff I shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a Rem 742 in .280, that shoot's 3/4" at 100yds with 58gr H4831 and a Hornady 139gr bt.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best 280 load is for my Browning ABolt. I bot this rifle before I really knew anything about rifles, but it has provn to be a real shooter right out of the box.

Using 59 grains of H4831 and 140 grain Nosler BT's, this weapon will shoot 3/8 inch groups all day long. At 3050 fps, the recoil is moderate for a little guy like me. It seems to require about 4 to 5 shots before settling in. This is a hot load per se, and I see some pressure signs when shooting in 80 degree temps, but in cooler November temps, there appears to be no problems. Jim R

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
I wish I would have been paying better attention 2 weeks ago! I also have a Ruger 22" M77MKII. This thing would consistently shoot Winchester 140 Silvertips into .75 inch groups. Well, I decided to take up reloading for a winter hobby and have just returned from my first test. I made up 5 rounds using pre-fired Win brass, Win primers, 140 Nosler BT, and Reloader 19. I started with 53 grains and worked up to 57.
The 5 shot group with 53 grains -average speed 2450- group size .51 inch. The 57 grain group 2.7 in at 2700. Not quite what I was looking for- my goal is .75in @2800. I have since purchased a pound of IMR4350. I just finished up loading up 3 rounds each starting with 50 grains up to 57. Anyone familiar with this combo? Most of my manuals say that 53 is max for this combo- but the Hornady lists max at 57. Is my goal of .75 @2800 too high? And, anybody used 57 grains- and had trouble??

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
dr280,

After looking through my load notes I see I have never used IMR4350 for 140gr bullets. I have used it for alot for 160gr bullets. My MAX loads for the 160's in my gun are 53grs. 57gs for the 140's should be close maybe a little on the hot side. Just work up which sounds like what your doing anyway. I'm surprised at the velocity your getting from handloads. It seems sort of slow. You should be able to get a 140gr bullet at around 2900fps even with a 22" barrel out of a 280. Are you shooting in some cold weather?

<dr280>
posted
Finley,
Yeah, I just tested the other day, here in mid-Michigan it was 32F. Not real cold by any means- I thought the loads were on the slow side myself. I went into my local shop to buy a can of 4831 and they were out- thus I went for the 4350. I started at 50 and worked 3 rounds each up to 57. I plan to test later this week. I will keep you posted. Happy Holidays to everyone. Dave

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I built a .280 Remington in 1980 to shoot metallic sihlouette. The rifle is based on a Rem M721 action with a 24" Douglass XX Premium air gauged barrel. The action is pillar bedded with Marine Tex in a Macmillan fiberglass stock. This rifle is old enough that I marked it 7mm Express Remington -- remember when Remington renamed the .280R?

Here are two MS loads good to 500 meters (inst vel @15 ft).

1. 140 gr Nosler Solid Base or Sierra 140 gr/57.0 gr IMR4350/3,073 fps/.425" for 3 shots at 100 yds.

2. 168 gr Sierra MKHPBT/53.5 gr MRP/2,672 fps/.311" for 3 shots at 100 yds.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone using Hodgdon powders?

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
dr280,

The IMR 4831 is what shoots best for the 140's for me. I know that I have quit any load development here in Alaska because it is just to dang cold. Last time I went to the range it was 0. I should have lots of stuff ready to go by the time it warms up though.

KuduKing,

I have seen H4831 recommended as one of the best powders for the 280. My gun doesn't seem to like it at all. I get very inconsistent groups. I'm going to give the RL 19 a try as I hear it is less sensitive to changes in temp, similar to H4831.

<dr280>
posted
Finley,
How cold is too cold to work on a load? As I posted above- my goal is .75 in at 2800. I have just takin up reloading as a winter hobby.. the interest has always been there- but I lacked a location. Well, 2 years ago I built my 30x48 pole barn, and this fall I built my Man's Room. It is 10'x16' complete with cable tv, phone, stereo, heater (the room is insulated and I keep the temp at 50 when not out there). And I have built in a closet for all my hunting duds, plus of course my recliner for Sunday hunting shows. My wife says a bed is next- I'll be living there soon if I keep it up>. My man's room comes complete with deer antlers, bows,bass fishing tourny plagues,and Dale Jr- Bud-Nascar flags,mirrors etc. Anyway- this is my LOCATION, so I took up reloading. I realize once my 280 load is perfected- I'll need something else to keep busy loading for- so I have ordered a new Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter. I figure it will be just as much fun working loads- and a great bunch of fun shooting and hunting with it. So---- How cold is too cold and should I just plan on working up some different loads with 4831 and waiting til spring to test all of em then? I'm out of Noslers but was thinking of trying some Sierras for grins. Any info is greatly appreciated- and well respected. dr280

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
dr280,

I think it depends alot on what powders you use. Both my 280 and 7mag shoot really well with RL 22 which can be temp sensitive. Work up a max load of it on a 60 day in the fall and then shoot than same load on a day were its over 100 and the load can be too hot! Sticky bolts aren't good. I don't worry too much about that now that I live in Alaska but I try not to work up to MAX loads when the temp is around 0. It is becomes hard for me to get a good hold with all those clothes on! Which is no good when your trying to find the most accurate load for your gun. I've only been handloading for a few years now myself so I don't proclaim to be an expert but hope this has helped you some.

[This message has been edited by Finley (edited 12-26-2001).]

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Here in San Diego we had only small temperature swings, so it is relatively easy to work up loads that are not sensitive to high temperature. Even though, I still test in the warmer days.

Reloader 22 is reported to have the same buring rate as Norma MRP, but I have not verified that by going back and re-doing my MRP load development with RL 22.

In hot climates it is good to keep cartridges out of the sun...jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning A-bolt II in .280 Rem with the BOSS, mistake, but it anyway it shoots 5 shot groups around .5 and I have some when the planets line-up are just one big hole .3 something. Any the best powder I found and I tried a lot was Reloader 19 59gr. behind a 140gr Combined Tech BT and with the short barrel because of the boss I am getting 2900. My father has an original A-bolt no boss using 60gr, RL19 and getting 3050 into around .5 usinf same bullet.
Used 4831 a lot and RL19 just plain whupped it, I was maxed out with it.

Wayne

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
No test result as of yet....
Purchased a Superblackhawk and have been messing around with it. A gunsmith buddy has my rifle and is polishing the stock and may bed it while he has it apart... He is going to test my loads while he has it also. I with respond when I get it back.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Looks like my favorite all round cartridge is getting to be pretty popular. This thread has been at or near the top for a long time now.

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi,

If you .280 fan wants to visit my
.280 Remington Sweden webside are you welcome at:

http://communities.msn.se/280RemingtonSweden

The site are intend for nordic european hunters primary and are writen in swedish.

[ 07-08-2002, 14:40: Message edited by: .280 Sweden ]

<dr280>
posted
Sarge,
I bought mine as "the one rifle I could hunt anywhere with" -(it was a time with new babies in the house- so money was tight). Now- 7 years later- the money issues are not so big- but my rifle collection has not grown. My 280 is still all I need for anything a want to hunt- thanks to reloading and bullet weights...but don't tell anyone how good they really are!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just noticed this post Ihave been shooting the .280 for quite a few years. has become one of my favorites. __H4831__ is the powder for the .280. Every bullet I have tried shoots best with this powder, I have tried most of the bullets made for it.

Mine is very fond of 54 gr H4831 with 160 partitions, less than 1 in groups consistently.
Also really shoots well with Hornady 139 Spire points and 59 gr H4831, 3000fps less than 3/4 in groups.
The gun is a glass bedded Rem Mtn Rifle with Synthetic stock and Sightron 6x.

Posts: 47 | Location: Montana | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
Results are FINALLY in from my earlier post in regards to IMR4350.
Rifle: Ruger MKII 22" barrel
Leupold 3x9x50
Winchester brass and primers
Nosler 140 BT
55 grains- .35 inch at 2650 fps
57 grains- .45 inch at 2750 fps
I realize all the manuals list around 54 grains as max- but I had no pressure signs- so I continued to load higher grain measurements. Anyone questioning what is truly max in your loads- take a look at
stevespages.com/8b.htm I have found info from steve to be very accurate. The bad news from my test is that I haven't "made it" to my goal yet. My goal being 2800 fps below .75 inch. The rifle is very accurate so I think sub .50 inch is very possible- even over 2800. I am currently working on some rounds with IMR4831- which according to most- is the best powder. My gun store was out when I bought the IMR4350. So- the quest continues- I will update when the results are in.

<SD Handgunner>
posted
Interesting / timely topic. Back in 1980 or so, I purchased a NEW Ruger M77R in .280 Remington. I had pondered the cartridge choice quite a bit between it and the .270 & .30-06. Finally the .280 Remington won out. The first thing I did was to remove the stock, completely stip it, raise the grain, and proceeded to wet sand in 10 coats of Tung Oil. Next I hand rubbed in 20 or so coats of Tru Oil. After this was all done I had a friend recut the checkering to make it sharp again.

When spring finally arrived I took to working up a good load for WhiteTail Deer. I found a good buy on some 139gr. Hornady BTSP Bullets, so it was to be that that was the bullet. I tried IMR-4350, IMR-4831 & H-4831. Try as I might, I am not sure if I ever did find THE load. Every combination out of this rifle printed under 1" for 5 shots. I finally ended up loading IMR-4831 (don't remember the exact charge weight though, and I didn't have a chronograph back then, so am not sure of the velocity either.)

At any rate I took several WhiteTails with that Rifle / Load combination, and bullet performance was outstanding. Then I got into Handgun Hunting, and sold all of my Rifles. Well I have been slowly building a Rifle Collection again. Currently I have a NEW Ruger KM77RFP MKII Sporter in .223 Remington, and a NEW Ruger KM77RFP MKII Sporter in .243 Winchester. I am looking to add one more Rifle to this collection in the not to distant future. You see I have been trying to decide the same thing I decided 22 years ago, .270 Winchester, .280 Remington or .30-06.

Monday afternoon I was at Scheels All Sport in Fargo North Dakota, and handled a NEW Ruger KM77RFP MKII Sporter in .280 Remington. Man did that bring back some memories, and I came really close to putting one on Lay-a-way.

Thanks for all the interesting load information, and a trip down memory lane.

Yep I may just have to have a NEW Ruger KM77RFP MKII Stainless-Synthetic in .280 Remington before fall.

Larry

<Tyler>
posted
I have a ruger customized in 280 cal, 22 inch barrel. Suprised no one here uses RL-19. 60 gr of RL-19 winchester case winchester primer 3150 fps. s.d. 5fps 5 shots. THIS LOAD WAS SAFE IN MY RIFLE. WORK UP ANY LOAD! I also tried H-450 my max load was 57.5 grains, both loads 140 gr. ballistic tips. H- 450 discontinued and haven't been able to get any more. Both loads were accurate in my rifle. Just had to add my two cents!

<dr280>
posted
Tyler, I did try RL-19.. I ran loads up to 57 and the groups continued to grow. I believe (without going out to my room to measure) that I got 2750 fps at 2.5 inches with RL-19. I didn't load up to 60 grains as each grain higher the bullet spread got worse. I was using Nosler BT 140. So far the fastest reading I have measured is 2787, this was with IMR4350. As posted above- the Quest continues. Larry- your decision should be easy at this point- the 280 gets all the votes from here!

<.280 Sweden>
posted
Some new .280 pictures (bilder in swedish) on:
http://communities.msn.se/280RemingtonSweden

Jonas

[ 07-08-2002, 14:41: Message edited by: .280 Sweden ]

<rugerman>
posted
Be careful with the Remington 9 1/2 primers with 55+ grains of IMR4350 and 140gr bullet. I had a couple to pierce at 55gr.

<dr280>
posted
I just purchased a pound of IMR4831 today- finally my store restocked- and ordered a box of Hornady SST 139 grainers. They should be here this week and I will work some up. Got 100 Hornadys for the price of 50 Noslers- I really doubt the Noslers are twice as good- as the price would reflect. But only time will tell.......

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
dr280,

Ya gots the right powder, man!

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.

<dr280>
posted
Well the test results are in, sort of.
I fired 3 shot groups starting with 54 grains or IMR4831 and the final group was with 57 grains. The speed was more in the range I am looking for-finally. 56 grains/2850, 57 grains/2950. The only problem was I couldn't get a group under 1 inch. I shot from a not so stable bench- and the wind was howling pretty good. After much discussion with a friend- I am switching scopes- from a 3x9x50 Vari X II with heavy duplex- to a 3x9x40 Vari X II regular duplex. The high mounts are causing me to lift off the stock too much. I am also going to free float the barrel. The plan now is to load up rounds with both 56 and 57 grains IMR4831, and wait for a better day to test again with scope and floating changes. Will post when result are available.