New
Find
Notify
Tools

30/06AI Pet loads needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just put together a 30/06AI that I plan on using for a late season cow elk hunt this year. I won't be shooting past 350 yds. I have most appropriate powders on hand but not a large supply of most. Due to lack of availability of Hodgdon'e extreme powders I'm leaning toward 760 (H-414) or Superformance with 180 bullets. Anybody got any good ideas.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I was using 61.5 of H-4350 behind a 150 ballistic tip before I traded it for a rebuilt propellor. The rifle has killed about 20 caribou and 6 or 7 moose with that combo with it's new owner.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swampshooter,

I shoot 200g accubonds with I4350 at 54.5g for elk. It shoots 5" low at 300. Plenty flat for elk. 180g will be plenty. If you have one of the 4350's try 53.5 to 55.0. Sweet spot should be around 54 to 54.5. Good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swampshooter My 06 Imp shoots the 165 gr TSX into tiny little groups. IMR 4350 groups well with several bullets I've tried and RL 19 is also good in my rifle. Hopefully that helps.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 60.5 gr of IMR 4350, CCI primers, Rem case and 180 Corelokts, or 180gr Speer Hot cores. Thats the top load for my rifle.

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
swampshooter,

It's the actual rifle, rifleman and technique that's far more important and what to work on first over the powder and it's amount.

Or what specific load shoots well in somebody else's rifle!

Also when hunting I get the game best with the first shot from a cold barrel.

Thus staying sighted in is more important than what a target rifle must do where we get sighting shots at the beginning of a match.

I suggest that you tune your rifle at the range and at home. That you keep records of where it's first shot hits from a cold barrel. Of course the best load matters. Everything counts.

Here is how I test my hunting rifles. I shoot one shot and then a confirming shot at the range the rifle is to hit on at.

You can see from the target below that the Kimber Montana 308 put the first and then the second shot only an inch away at 200 yds! Smiler

I keep a record of that.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99, My question was ONLY about the 30/06AI. This isn't my first rodeo, I've been an avid reloader of center-fire rifles and a hunter for over 50 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sierra manual for 180 gr bullets with a 26" barrel shows 2800 fps with the accuracy load and 2900 fps with the hunting load both over imr 4350.

My 06 improved is loaded with the 200 gr Speer over 4350.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm reserving the 200 gr. bullets for next year.
I only get one elk tag per, couldn't eat any more than one anyway. The wife won't eat anything except the burger, that leaves a lot of steaks and roasts for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have to use what we can get for components. This last year was bad.

Now a local store has more powder and primers but little brass.

I have enough stuff and have been getting ready and sighted in all summer. Favorites are customs in 30-06 and 300 Win. Mag. For wet weather Montanas in 7mm WSM and 308 are ready.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Due to lack of availability of Hodgdon'e extreme powders I'm leaning toward 760 (H-414) or Superformance with 180 bullets. Anybody got any good ideas.

In my mind this issue would probably come down to data and where to start. So given that I would probably run with the 760. Even load data for that in your AI version may be a bit scarce, but there is a bunch of it for the standard 06 to give you a feel for a good take off point. I have used a lot of 760 over the years and in spite of being a dirty powder I have always had excellent results with it. I think you are on the right track to get some great results.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not used the 200 gr. bullets in the 30-06 IMP. but have used the 200 gr. Nosler and 200 gr. Woodleigh extensively on game in the standard 30-06 and in the 300 H&H and 300 Win. mag..and its just an awesome bullet on deer and elk, on up to big bear and some mighty big African animals. That covers both sides of the 30-06 IMP. so I think I can give you a clean bill of health using it in your IMP 06...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote