THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Scabbard recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scabbard recommendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just realized my outfitter has a scabbard on the gear list to bring on my stone sheep hunt in August.
My rifle is a bolt action with 24" barrel and scoped.

Any recommendations on a quality scabbard?

Thank you

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
I'd just buy one that's available at Cabelas' or another retailer.
You could also use a soft case to tie to the saddle.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
There are scabbards and then there are scabbards. A good scabbard will give years of service and do a good job of protecting your rifle and scope.

There are a number of companies producing good soft cases that are designed to also be used as a scabbard.

If you are only going to use one once then I would recommend doing the soft case that is designed to use as a scabbard. But........ if you contemplate making this sort of hunt a regular thing, take your rifle to a custom saddle shop and have one made.

From experience I prefer a leather scabbard made out of heavy oak tanned leather, with a flap that folds over the end and covers the ocular lens of the scope. It also keeps a lot of debris from getting into the scabbard when you are riding through brush.

A couple of hunters I guided had really nice custom soft case/scabbard dual purpose items from Murray Custom Leather. Not sure where they are located or prices, but they were very nice.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good scabbard is vital, if it doesn't do it's job, you' might be going home empty handed. You want o be sure the whole rifle is protected.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby:
PM sent.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz:
Where'd that pony get those spots on his ass?
Dad raised Absorakee blood for yrs. Both blacks n sorrels, couple dozen or more in all over 30yrs or so.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used one made by Dick Murray for years. Murray custom leather.com. Soft case will tear apart pretty easy. Plastic hard cases are loud. Get a good one You wont be sorry !!

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had mine custom made for my 7STW due to the length. Go to any saddle shop and they should be able to make you one for your rifle. Plus bring in the rifle and they can fit it for you.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Used to be a place called Richland Yellowstone in Eastern Montana. That is where I traded back in my mule packing days.

They made a good scabbard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunter makes some dandies too.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a half dozen scabbards, all were made years ago by Saddle makers such as S.D. Myres, George Nix, any good saddle maker..

The main thing is to use heavy saddle leather, made to fit your particular rifle, and it will fit other rifles too as a rule..

I like a flap over the grip with a slot for the bolt that buttons or whatever to the scabbard itself, that will keep snow, dirt and brush out of the scabbard and off the gun and keep your scope clean..I do not like any sheepskin inside my scabbard but if you must then only over the scope, all that stuff sweats, holds moisture, and causes rust..

I carry my gun on the right side of my horse butt to the rear, but only recommend this carry to the most experienced rider, otherwise carry it on left side butt rearward, so you can step off and pull the gun out in one motion, load a round and get to shooting....I don't like a forward butt, I don't want my scope riding on itself, keep the scope on top. With forward guns I have seen horse get a tree between the butt and the horse and that is one hell of a wreck every time, especially if your chasing a herd of deer or elk or getting to the top of a saddlel they just went over..

I like the butt end strapped high and the front at a slope that's comfortable to the rider and the horse, I never allow a rifle to just hang on the side of a horse parallel, that's another disaster, a flapping scabbard can irritate even a good horse, and its a great way to lose a gun..Last but not least, put the damn sling in your pocket or sooner or later it will snag and come out, you may not discover it for some time.

When I hunt horseback I leave my carry guns and magnums at home. I want flat easy to pack gun on a horse, one that doesn't bow my leg out on those long 14 hour rides..My favorite is a Savage 99F in .308 for elk, Moose and Bear, and a Savage 99G in 250-3000 for deer unless I'm meat hunting deer or cow elk, then I'll normally use my Win. 94 in 30-30 or 25-35..and get close.

Just my two bits but Ive been horseback almost daily my whole life for a number of reasons, other than hunting. but I prefer to hunt horseback.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did contact a local saddle maker, Visalia Stock Saddle Company. Which I didn't even know existed, and from some google search I guess is a fairly well known company. Got a quick reply that they no longer do scabbards...

Well even before I received that reply I got a message from "georgeld"

long story short, I am now the proud owner of a Hunter brand scabbard (Model 203B-26). Used for many years but in great shape. Leather is nice and stiff and looks high quality. Best part is that it fits my rifle like a glove.

for those interested, here are the rifle details.

HS Precision, .300 WSM. 24" barrel, about 26" overall with the brake
Swarovski 3.5-10x42mm, conetrol rings and bases. Scope objective almost touching the barrel Smiler

thanks again George! I appreciate it and I will put it to good use. And as per our agreement I'll take photos of it in the field and report back Wink

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby:
Nice dealing with you.
Didn't remember the stock sticking out so far guess it's just too many years since I used it last to recall the details.

I bet it'll out live you on any hunts you may use it on.

Thank you sir, good luck on the sheep hunt.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
You must have read my mind. Everything you said is exactly the way I hunt from a horse(mule). I do always have mine on the off side and when swinging my leg over, the hand falls on the butt end and by the time the right foot hits the ground the rifle is out.
Glad you are up, around and doing well. We 80 year olds do have to keep going or we might get old!

Muleskinner

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What Ray, and Muleskinner, said.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19294 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
There are a number of companies producing good soft cases that are designed to also be used as a scabbard.

If you are only going to use one once then I would recommend doing the soft case that is designed to use as a scabbard.

I am in the same boat as bobby. I am headed for a wilderness hunt in Colorado the first week of November and I need a scabbard.

Can anyone point me in the right direction concerning a soft case that will work as a scabbard. This is my first horseback hunt and I don't know that I will get to do this very often(or ever again).

And if anyone has a scabbard they would like to sell please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ray about how to carry your rifle horseback. The scabbard you purchased will work fine. I only caution you not to engage the snap on the strap. The work fine on a routine basis, but never come off when you are under pressure.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
One of my hunting buddies bought a soft sided scabbard from "Outfitter's Supply".

He has been very happy with it for one season, not sure how it will hold up long-term.

Pretty good value at $85. I will post a link to the website below.

Jim

http://www.outfitterssupply.co.../productinfo/WSC137/

Posts: 518 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Get long straps and wrap them around the scabbard, the hookup you have now will flop around like a fish out of water and will tear loose if your horse has a fit or whatever.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
The straps on your scabbard carry the gun resting on the scope, I see that a lot, and its the first sign of a beginner, its one sure way to sooner or later change your zero or turn the cross hairs cockeyed. letting a scabbard hang low is another mistake keep the butt high and only a medium drop for the barrel end. You might move your horse around and see if the scabbard interferes with his normal movement, if so then make adjustments.

Rearrange your straps to have a full wrap around the scabbard, and loop that wrap around your the swells of your saddle (thru the hole under the horn) as opposed using the D- rings,and in your case face the butt forward, and have the gun with the scope "up" and the weight on the bottom of your rifle,not your scope..The full wrap serves a purpose in that if your buckle comes loose or leather breaks the wrap will hold things together at least for a little while..always watch and take care of your saddle equipment and that includes your scabbard. When a scabbard fails and one end of your riles falls and the other end is swinging off your horse, it's rodeo time..Smiler As you progress you may want the gun butt back on the off side or on side. The on side is best for most hunters, the off side for cowboys, but that comes with horsemanship.

Hope this helps and saves you learning the hard way and serves to make your hunt more enjoyable. A good guide can help you as much as anyone, but I have seen many that didn't know crap about how to carry a gun or guiding for that matter. Always best for the hunter to learn and be able to take care of himself if possible.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to disagree with Ray on this, I have always preferred right side, butt forward, scope up. Ray said he has seen horses hang the rifle on trees going forward, well, I have seen rifles drug out of the scabbard backwards going through trees and brush. Its a funny look on your face when you get down and your rifle is gone.

This also eliminates the worries about the scope that Ray is very correct about.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean,
Your right, but that happens when folks let that sling hang out and it catches on a limb or Sotol...slings should be kept in ones jacket until needed..Then again, when I'm horse back I usually pack a flat sided gun that's comfortable under my leg like a 94 Win. or 99 Savage and all my many scabbards have a flap that closes over the scope and grip with a lock type clip on it, can't come out and keeps dirt and debre out of my scope lens..Trust me I got it figured out, and got it done the hard way in West Texas Rimrock country! you been there!! wave

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep Ray,

we have ridden alot of the same kind of country--to each his own--

beer

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll give ya that old friend. Still planning on smoking one of your high dollar cigars and drinking your whiskey when I get down that way.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan--

tu2

TANSTAAFL

DSC Life
NRA Life

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a few horse back hunts. I ONLY CARRY MY RIFLE BUT FORWARD, SCOPE UP.
I have used some crappy scabbards supplied by the outfitter.

IF I EVER do another horse back hunt, I WILL buy a Murray Leather Scabbard.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No.2

Now your catching on, that's a good carry as you can step off on drag your gun out as you get out in front of your horse, its quick and safe, and your scope isn't riding on itself, the gun is....

You couldn't be more correst, a real heavy leather saddle scabbard that fits you gun or your type of gun that has a flap over the rear so all that sticks out is the butt stock behind the grip..Some saddle makers make a full covered scabbard with a full length zipper, and they will protect a high dollar gun if they are heavy leather. Lot can happen on a horse and Ive tried about all the wrecks there is! Eeker

Never have a sheep skin lining it collect moisture and will rust the gun in inclimate wet or snow weather and even in warn humid weather.
Its better to wear a little blue than use a lining IMO...

Packing a gun in a saddle scabbard day in and day out wears the surface of a gun..I use my old beat up, but good shooting guns, to hunt horse back..

If you need a saddle scabbard let me know and I'll send you one, when you get home just give it to Don and I'll pick it up from him whenever I get down that way or he comes up here.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thought: Never Ever get off the horse and leave the rifle in the scabbard!!
In just a few seconds a horse can decide to lay down and roll. That roll will probably break the rifle stock.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got that right, off the horse, gun in hand, no round in the chamber.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120