THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    And I was thinking of buying a horse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And I was thinking of buying a horse
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a big horse - something that could carry my 220 pounds for some calm trail riding.

Like a Percheron or something. Big calm draft horse.

I would board him as i have zero interest in taking care of him - mucking ect

After reading a few threads in this forum I am now terrified of horses.

I don’t want to be thrown off a horse. Same reason I have little interest in motorbikes. After 40 falls suck and they suck worse as one gets older.

Maybe I will rent one up in Ocala and see if these creatures are worth the hassle.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone want to ride a Percheron? A normal size horse will have no trouble carring you on trail rides. Draft horse are notorious for hoof problems, because of their size.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most experts agree a horse in sound condition should be able to carry 20% of its body weight without trouble.

So for a man your size a 1100 or 1200 lb horse (big horse but not a giant) shouldn't have any trouble handling you on trail rides.

However, IMO, buying a horse just for occasional trail rides (and during hunting season), is a big mistake.

Horses require a big investment in time and constant training in order to be a dependable mount.

It also cost quite a bit of money in maintenance (feed, hay, hoof care, vaccinations, etc).

Another big investment is tack. A horse needs a properly fitted saddle, reins, bridle, halter, saddle pads or blankets, and perhaps a martingayle, lounging ropes and surcingle.

In addition, you need to make an investment in you becoming a horse savvy person. You have to build a trust and respect between the two of you. You have to know your horses quirks.

I would think a better option for you would be to lease a horse for a year or so. Most stables have horses that they are willing to lease, and the owners and other horse leasees, will be more than willing to help you learn the basics of working with horses, to include how to saddle up, bitting, and does and don'ts of training a horse.

If you do decide to buy a horse (or even lease one) find a knowledgeable person to help you find the right one. Many horses have bad or even dangerous habits, or have soundness issues.

For the last year I have been working with a man, who has been working with horses for almost 45 years. He has personally known 4 people who were killed by horses because of their lack of knowledge or respect for the animal.

He now teaches Equine courses at a local college and has a variety of clients and regularly trims the hooves of about 40 horses.

Bottom line. Horses are not something you buy and take out when you want to use them. They require constant work to maintain a good working relationship.

But most horse people (myself included) think you get back a lot more than you give when it comes to horses.

Good luck.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure my horses are cheaper than a psychiatrist.
They are at times expensive, but every hobby that I have ever had has also cost a lot of money.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Most experts agree a horse in sound condition should be able to carry 20% of its body weight without trouble.

So for a man your size a 1100 or 1200 lb horse (big horse but not a giant) shouldn't have any trouble handling you on trail rides.

However, IMO, buying a horse just for occasional trail rides (and during hunting season), is a big mistake.

Horses require a big investment in time and constant training in order to be a dependable mount.

It also cost quite a bit of money in maintenance (feed, hay, hoof care, vaccinations, etc).

Another big investment is tack. A horse needs a properly fitted saddle, reins, bridle, halter, saddle pads or blankets, and perhaps a martingayle, lounging ropes and surcingle.

In addition, you need to make an investment in you becoming a horse savvy person. You have to build a trust and respect between the two of you. You have to know your horses quirks.

I would think a better option for you would be to lease a horse for a year or so. Most stables have horses that they are willing to lease, and the owners and other horse leasees, will be more than willing to help you learn the basics of working with horses, to include how to saddle up, bitting, and does and don'ts of training a horse.

If you do decide to buy a horse (or even lease one) find a knowledgeable person to help you find the right one. Many horses have bad or even dangerous habits, or have soundness issues.

For the last year I have been working with a man, who has been working with horses for almost 45 years. He has personally known 4 people who were killed by horses because of their lack of knowledge or respect for the animal.

He now teaches Equine courses at a local college and has a variety of clients and regularly trims the hooves of about 40 horses.

Bottom line. Horses are not something you buy and take out when you want to use them. They require constant work to maintain a good working relationship.

But most horse people (myself included) think you get back a lot more than you give when it comes to horses.

Good luck.

BH63

I raise and ride quarter horses and I can assure you there aren’t many that weigh 1200 pounds. Many look like but the scales or a weight tape tell a different tale. I’m about 240 and I’d have no problem with a 1000 pound horse for most activities.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Will take some riding lessons in Ocala.

I like big draft horses - they just look cool.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
If I were into pulling heavy loads in completion, then I’d be interested in a draft horse. I would never buy one to ride.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I have horses on my ranch and a few years ago, at 40, decided to start riding again in earnest.
Despite the pleasure I get from it, my health has improved in that it gives me a workout and in particular helps with back pain and general aches.
Give it a try!

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some weight ranges for common breeds. I attempted to take out all of the draft horses.

Weight and height ranges for common breeds
English
Weight
Horses lbs lbs
Andalusian 1201 1301
Appaloosa 1003 1301
Arabian 904 1102
Cleveland Bay 1201 1499
Criollo 1201 1301
Dutch Warmblood 1201 1301
Hackney 904 1201
Hanoverian 1201 1400
Lipizzaner 904 1201
Oldenburg 1201 1499
Orlov Trotter 1003 1301
Paso 1201 1301
Quarter Horse, American 1003 1301
Saddlebred, American 1003 1201
Selle Francais 1003 1201
Standardbred, American 1201
Tennessee Walker 904 1400
Thoroughbred 1003 1301
Trakehner 1201 1499

So you see there are plenty of 1100/1200 lb horse breeds available.

I know horses can carry more weight than the 20% of body weight recommended by some Equine experts, and, if you have multiple mounts than it is certainly not an issue.

But if you are going to buy only one horse, why not try to find one a little bigger if you are a big man?

I do most of my riding now on a 1200 lb Tennessee Walker mix. Pain to climb in the saddle at my age because of his height, but I know I am not causing the big guy any future back problems.

I read a study a year or so ago, where they measured the respiration of horses of various sizes that carried heavy people. The smaller horses had to breathe harder (i.e. work harder) to carry a heavy person for a particular route, than the bigger horses, and took longer to return to normal breathing after the exertion.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here are some weight ranges for common breeds. I attempted to take out all of the draft horses.

Weight and height ranges for common breeds
English
Weight
Horses lbs lbs
Andalusian 1201 1301
Appaloosa 1003 1301
Arabian 904 1102
Cleveland Bay 1201 1499
Criollo 1201 1301
Dutch Warmblood 1201 1301
Hackney 904 1201
Hanoverian 1201 1400
Lipizzaner 904 1201
Oldenburg 1201 1499
Orlov Trotter 1003 1301
Paso 1201 1301
Quarter Horse, American 1003 1301
Saddlebred, American 1003 1201
Selle Francais 1003 1201
Standardbred, American 1201
Tennessee Walker 904 1400
Thoroughbred 1003 1301
Trakehner 1201 1499

So you see there are plenty of 1100/1200 lb horse breeds available.

I know horses can carry more weight than the 20% of body weight recommended by some Equine experts, and, if you have multiple mounts than it is certainly not an issue.

But if you are going to buy only one horse, why not try to find one a little bigger if you are a big man?

I do most of my riding now on a 1200 lb Tennessee Walker mix. Pain to climb in the saddle at my age because of his height, but I know I am not causing the big guy any future back problems.

I read a study a year or so ago, where they measured the respiration of horses of various sizes that carried heavy people. The smaller horses had to breathe harder (i.e. work harder) to carry a heavy person for a particular route, than the bigger horses, and took longer to return to normal breathing after the exertion.

BH63

In the real world there aren’t that many. I raise horse train horse, etc and 1200 pound horse aren’t that common accord to weight scales and weight tapes. If one hits the high weight then that is the range.

You don’t impress with that list. I have a 16 hand mare that is wide and well muscled and she is only 1190 and she is BIG.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Wasn't meant to impress. Just throwing out some factual data.

Another thing to consider when buying a horse is how often you will be riding or conditioning the animal.

A horse that is ridden 4 or 5 hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week, can much better handle heavier weights than a horse that is ridden one hour a day every week or so and kept in a small pen the rest of the time.

Conditioning is very important. I'm sure your working Quarter horses are kept in pretty good condition.

Not sure why my recommendation for getting a bigger horse for a bigger man is such a bee in your bonnet??

BTW Some riding stables will not let someone over 250 lbs rent or ride their horses.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
^
Wasn't meant to impress. Just throwing out some factual data.

Another thing to consider when buying a horse is how often you will be riding or conditioning the animal.

A horse that is ridden 4 or 5 hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week, can much better handle heavier weights than a horse that is ridden one hour a day every week or so and kept in a small pen the rest of the time.

Conditioning is very important. I'm sure your working Quarter horses are kept in pretty good condition.

Not sure why my recommendation for getting a bigger horse for a bigger man is such a bee in your bonnet??

BTW Some riding stables will not let someone over 250 lbs rent or ride their horses.

BH63

The man is only 220, who wants to ride a huge horse on trails in mountains where you would have to go under limbs etc.

Factual data is what I posted unless it’s a draft horse, 1200 pounds and above is not the norm.

Condition is needed no matter the size of the horse. Altitude adjustment is required fir horses, the same as fir humans.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still don't see why you have an issue with the above statement. ???

He originally was talking about Percherons and such that can get up to 1800 lbs or more.

An 1100 to 1200 lbs horse is not that excessive IMO.

Actually more and more dude ranches are keeping a few big draft horses for people over 225 lbs or so.

If you weigh 220 lbs why buy a 850 lb horse when you are almost certain to gain another 20 to 40 lbs as you grow older?

Just saying.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Still don't see why you have an issue with the above statement. ???

He originally was talking about Percherons and such that can get up to 1800 lbs or more.

An 1100 to 1200 lbs horse is not that excessive IMO.

Actually more and more dude ranches are keeping a few big draft horses for people over 225 lbs or so.

If you weigh 220 lbs why buy a 850 lb horse when you are almost certain to gain another 20 to 40 lbs as you grow older?

Just saying.

BH63

If you are riding in mountains to hunt you will have to maneuver around and under obstacles, why take a 16 hand long bodied horse? Much easier with a smaller more agile horse. I wouldn’t want one over 15 hands. Those huge horse are much more difficult to got on and off of.

Do you even own a horse?

- Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Just a big horse - something that could carry my 220 pounds for some calm trail riding.

Like a Percheron or something. Big calm draft horse.

I would board him as i have zero interest in taking care of him - mucking ect

I don’t want to be thrown off a horse. Same reason I have little interest in motorbikes. After 40 falls suck and they suck worse as one gets older.

Maybe I will rent one up in Ocala and see if these creatures are worth the hassle.

Mike

Come on up to Ocala and take a few lesson rides.

Then if you wanna go further, get an old horse or mule that is dead broke, if you can find one. You can always sell it if it doesn't work out.

They're are all dangerous but some less than others.

I had a mule I'd ride once every couple years back in my hunting days. She was the same and didn't really care. She didn't know much but she wasn't dangerous. You don't have to ride every day!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Why would anyone want to ride a Percheron? A normal size horse will have no trouble carring you on trail rides. Draft horse are notorious for hoof problems, because of their size.

That extra height is hard to mount and the width is hard on the knees and pelvis.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:

That extra height is hard to mount and the width is hard on the knees and pelvis.

Grizz

Exactly.

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
20% is a dead weight scale, means nothing except to a packer...A 220 lb. man can be fine with a good 900 lb. horse..That said and Im 210 6-3 or was before I started shrinking I like a horse that's 15-2 or 15-3 as ideal, I would look for big bone good feet and not worry at all about weight within reason...My heel horse for competition is about 14-2 or 3 and Ive ridden him in the mountains hunting all day for three or four days straight..He is tough as nails and has no quit in him..

If your going to start riding horses, but a good quarter horse, the horse that all others are judged by...buy a kind and gently well broke horse and find an expert to find you one, and be sure you pick an expert with care, sure a lot of so called horse experts out there..find a good calf or steer roper to pick your horse out for you would be my advise as if they can rope they can train and know good horses...

A good horse is a wonder or wonders, a bad horse is a nightmare..All the bad adivice and tales of woe are from owning a bad horse, same with dogs, any fault in horses is man caused..They are not mean they are an escape animal not a preditor, you get hurt because they were not properly broke. All else is BS..You will need to care for them as they are not inanimate objects like a motorcycle and if your not willing to do that, your on a bad road..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
20% is a dead weight scale, means nothing except to a packer...A 220 lb. man can be fine with a good 900 lb. horse..That said and Im 210 6-3 or was before I started shrinking I like a horse that's 15-2 or 15-3 as ideal, I would look for big bone good feet and not worry at all about weight within reason...My heel horse for competition is about 14-2 or 3 and Ive ridden him in the mountains hunting all day for three or four days straight..He is tough as nails and has no quit in him..

If your going to start riding horses, but a good quarter horse, the horse that all others are judged by...buy a kind and gently well broke horse and find an expert to find you one, and be sure you pick an expert with care, sure a lot of so called horse experts out there..find a good calf or steer roper to pick your horse out for you would be my advise as if they can rope they can train and know good horses...

A good horse is a wonder or wonders, a bad horse is a nightmare..All the bad adivice and tales of woe are from owning a bad horse, same with dogs, any fault in horses is man caused..They are not mean they are an escape animal not a preditor, you get hurt because they were not properly broke. All else is BS..You will need to care for them as they are not inanimate objects like a motorcycle and if your not willing to do that, your on a bad road..

Good advice. I not know why all of a sudden people think they need a giant horse to ride, makes no sense to me

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I don't own a horse at the present, but I work with 4 horses about 2 or 3 days a week, every week.

Over my lifetime, I have been bucked off, kicked, bitten, headbutted, stepped on, and have had horses fall with me, so I have learned a little bit about the critters.

For a mountain horse, some people swear by mustangs (provided you get one big enough) and others prefer mules.

Like Atkinson said, I agree the most important thing is to get an animal that is well broke, doesn't spook easily, and is physically sound.

And I agree, almost every bad habit a horse has, has been learned from humans. However, as prey animals, they have instincts that kick in if the circumstances are just right, and you have to be able to expect that and get a sense of the "feel" of the horse.

I have seen supposedly "bombproof" horses blow up and the owners swear in 20 years of owning the horse they have never seen that happen.

As far as breeds, people who raise Quarter Horses like Quarter Horses, and people who raise Morgans, like Morgans, and so on.

I spent most of my early years working with Thoroughbreds and Tennessee Walking horses, and that's where my heart lies, but I wouldn't buy one to be a mountain horse necessarily.

Temperament and training vary greatly among individuals in all breeds. So I would still suggest, you try leasing a horse before you buy it outright. JMO

Actually I think a really big man on a small horse looks kind of foolish, but I acknowledge that is entirely subjective.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
My best horse is an older ranch horse, papers lost long ago Im told, made his living being rode every day almost..He is bomb proof and now lives the good life, and he loves to heel steers for me, and why not he dragged a thousand or more calves to the branding fire, so he took to team roping like a duck to water..He came to me cheap, been offered a ton of money for him..but he will die on my place, hope he lives long enough to teach one of my great gran daughters to rope, and he should. God willing.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the camp that says a lot of horses don't weigh as much as people think....and the ones that are on the heavier side are often there because they are overweight and out of shape....which isn't weight that's going to help.

I don't know how the formula goes on the 20% of weight, but a 220 lb man isn't 220 lbs on the horses back. It's 220 lbs + 45-55 lbs of saddle, + saddle bags, + scabbard, + rifle, etc. So a 220 lb man may be 300 extra lbs for the horse (lot of +/- depending on saddle type and extras).

I've seen some good trail riding horses that were draft cross. I've had one that was very handy for dragging calves, had great bone/feet, excellent temperament, and was excellent on the trail. That said he was rough as a cob at anything other than a walk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^ The 20% figure is a rule of thumb arrived at via equine academic studies and accepted by many equine organizations.

It is generally considered a little bit conservative with the expectation that the tack can add another 20 - 40 lbs of weight.

Some breeds of horses, regardless of size, due to conformation are more comfortable carrying heavier weights than others.

Short-coupled breeds like Quarter horses are a good example.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
^ The 20% figure is a rule of thumb arrived at via equine academic studies and accepted by many equine organizations.

It is generally considered a little bit conservative with the expectation that the tack can add another 20 - 40 lbs of weight.

Some breeds of horses, regardless of size, due to conformation are more comfortable carrying heavier weights than others.

BH63

According to you quarter horses are too small for most to ride, which is totally ridiculous.

To get a horse big enough for that stupid 30% crap they would need to be draft or draft horse crossing and I’d never want to ride one of those things. They were and are bred to pull heavy loads.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

BH63

According to you quarter horses are too small for most to ride, which is totally ridiculous.

To get a horse big enough for that stupid 30% crap they would need to be draft or draft horse crossing and I’d never want to ride one of those things. They were and are bred to pull heavy loads.

If you read my last post (and understood it), I added that some short-coupled breeds like quarter horses are more comfortable carrying heaver loads than other similar sized horses.

The 20% of horse weight figure was arrived through empirical studies where the respiration of different horses was measured during carrying loads of different weights. It was consistently shown that once the 20% weight threshold was exceeded the horses had to work harder (i.e. increased respiration) and took longer to recover from the exertion (i.e. breathing rate returned to normal).

Does this mean horses can't carry more weight? Of course not, horses can and have been used to regularly carry incredible amounts of weights for long periods of time.

Knowing how to ride with proper balance makes it easier for the horse to handle the rider's weight.

But like humans, that perform hard manual labor for decades, their bodies break down quicker.

Show me an old horse, with a swayed back, stiff with arthritis, and I'll wager that horse has been used hard, carrying heavy weight for a big part of its life.

Also I doubt that "most" people weight more than 200 lbs.

The fact that more and more riding stables are getting a few "big" horses to handle riders over 240 lbs, seems to verify that fact that really big people on small horses puts to much wear and tear on the animal. Otherwise, they wouldn't spend the extra money to buy the big horses.

To my mind, it's like the 150 lb men who play in the NFL. They can play and be effective for a few seasons, but they generally don't last more than 2 or 3 years.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

BH63

If you read my last post (and understood it), I added that some short-coupled breeds like quarter horses are more comfortable carrying heaver loads than other similar sized horses.

The 20% of horse weight figure was arrived through empirical studies where the respiration of different horses was measured during carrying loads of different weights. It was consistently shown that once the 20% weight threshold was exceeded the horses had to work harder (i.e. increased respiration) and took longer to recover from the exertion (i.e. breathing rate returned to normal).

Does this mean horses can't carry more weight? Of course not, horses can and have been used to regularly carry incredible amounts of weights for long periods of time.

Knowing how to ride with proper balance makes it easier for the horse to handle the rider's weight.

But like humans, that perform hard manual labor for decades, their bodies break down quicker.

Show me an old horse, with a swayed back, stiff with arthritis, and I'll wager that horse has been used hard, carrying heavy weight for a big part of its life.

Also I doubt that "most" people weight more than 200 lbs.

The fact that more and more riding stables are getting a few "big" horses to handle riders over 240 lbs, seems to verify that fact that really big people on small horses puts to much wear and tear on the animal. Otherwise, they wouldn't spend the extra money to buy the big horses.

To my mind, it's like the 150 lb men who play in the NFL. They can play and be effective for a few seasons, but they generally don't last more than 2 or 3 years.

BH63

I’d wager if a horse is sway backed, he had poor conformation and was long backed to begin with or poor nutrition. I have a mare that’s 14-2 hands and just under a 1,000 pound. I’m 230 and I’d have no problem riding her in mountain or any where else. Even rope bulls on her, she pulls more than some of th3 bigger horses. I want an athletic horse with exceptional balance and that is what I breed for. I want a horse that can maintain its balance in tough terrain, not a big ole un-coordinated horse.

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spot on JWP..

Ive packed gutted deer in my lap to the house or pickup on a 15 hand quarter horse more times than I can count in some damn rough country, same on a mule. Did it growing up for our hunters and got some big tips..Tough hard ranch horses that worked for a living can pack a load without a problem..If your horsemanship is bad, they can't pack much more than a small man..but mostly because most hunters just sit like a stump, never get off and set their saddle blankets and cinches and sore or ruin a good horse..some guides are as bad, especially the ones that sit in a bar all year and guide for someone for a week or two and they are many. Roll Eyes

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I mentioned somewhere in my posts, that a horse that is in condition can also carry more weight without problems, then a horse that is only rode for an hour or so each week and that a short-coupled (short top line) would probably do better with heavy weights than one with a long topline.

Yesterday we measured and weighed (with a tape) the four horses I work with.

The mustang mare was 13.3 H (a pony really) and weighed 606 lbs (she has been on a diet because she foundered). Last year she was about 730 lbs).

A really old gelding (about 35 years old) was 14.2 and weighed 738 lbs.

A quarter horse gelding was 15.2 H and weighed 978 lbs.

A TN walking horse/Clydesdale mix was 16.1 H and weighed 1217 lbs.

Tapes are generally from 4-8 % off of actual weight, but it still gives you a good idea of the animal's weight.

All of the horses were given a scale of 4 (except the really old gelding who was probably a 3 since he had lost so much muscle mass) based upon the Henneke Body Condition scale.

Of the four only the quarter horse and the TN walking/Clydesdale would be a good mount for someone weighing 200 lbs or more and only then if the horses were conditioned (especially the quarter horse).

JMO

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dude, .... horses, like women, are fickle creatures: cheap dates in the short term; expensive pets for life. Eeker

Don't get one unless you fully understand what you're getting into, and what sort of commitment that entails. Word to the wise. Whistling

quote:
I don’t want to be thrown off a horse. Same reason I have little interest in motorbikes. After 40, falls suck and they suck worse as one gets older.

Same thing applies to falling off a woman. It never ends well. Wink

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:

True, but a real man, like a cowboy, always climbs back on. LOL

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best horse to have is the horse owned by someone else.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:

True, but a real man, like a cowboy, always climbs back on. LOL

Well said. tu2

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd get a pure draft for riding but if I was still working cows I'd be mighty tempted to get a percheron/quarter cross.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HawkCreek:
I don't think I'd get a pure draft for riding but if I was still working cows I'd be mighty tempted to get a percheron/quarter cross.

I'll bite. Why would you want a Percheron bloodlines in a cutting/ranch horse??

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not very flat around here and I'm pushing 250lbs before I get dressed. So me + saddle + saddle bags, etc means any horse I ride is going to have to carry some weight. The owner of the ranch I worked on was bigger than I am and he was looking hard at getting some sort of cross like that. I left before he did but he'd gone to see some and reported that they did well working cattle.

ETA: I'm not disagreeing with what's been said above about a smaller horse that is worked and in shape for it can carry heavier weight. But we were on horses once or maybe twice a week. Other than that they were put out in the 40 acre horse pasture, there simply wasn't time to spend any more time with them. But they were needed to move cows around and what not. We weren't in the mountains but here in the desert there are a lot of canyons and places you can't get a truck or anything else motorized.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not very flat around here and I'm pushing 250lbs before I get dressed. So me + saddle + saddle bags, etc means any horse I ride is going to have to carry some weight. The owner of the ranch I worked on was bigger than I am and he was looking hard at getting some sort of cross like that. I left before he did but he'd gone to see some and reported that they did well working cattle.

ETA: I'm not disagreeing with what's been said above about a smaller horse that is worked and in shape for sure it can carry heavier weight. But we were on horses once or maybe twice a week. Other than that they were put out in the 40 acre horse pasture, there simply wasn't time to spend any more time with them. But they were needed to move cows around and what not. We weren't in the mountains but here in the desert there are a lot of canyons and places you can't get a truck or anything else motorized.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

ETA: I'm not disagreeing with what's been said above about a smaller horse that is worked and in shape for it can carry heavier weight. But we were on horses once or maybe twice a week. Other than that they were put out in the 40 acre horse pasture, there simply wasn't time to spend any more time with them. But they were needed to move cows around and what not. We weren't in the mountains but here in the desert there are a lot of canyons and places you can't get a truck or anything else motorized.

Perhaps you can buy one of Atkinson's quarter horses?

They seem to handle heavy riders without any problems. LOL

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of quarter horses go 16 hands, not uncommon at all, that's bigger than I want to get on especially on a steep side hill..A 15 to 15-3 quarter horse can carry a 250 lb. man all day long...Its about heart and condition not size..

No, you wouldn't want one of 0ur horses unless you compete in calf or steer roping and my kids sell some nice barrel horses..Our stuff runs from $10,000 to $20,000..The people that buy them intend to pay them off in 90 days to 6 months with money won roping on them, so they are a business adventures..Same with JWP...A good gently saddle pleasure horse can be had for $3500 to $4500..Cheaper horses create some bad posts like we see on AR from time to time.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again I never said smaller couldn't do it. But as I said we weren't on them daily so they weren't as conditioned as harder worked horses would be. And on a working farm/ranch like that spending $3500-$4500 is going to be a LOT of money to them. They weren't out gambling on rodeo this was a place were there was a lot of work to be done every day. Not every minute could be devoted to the cattle or horses (unfortunate in my book as I'd have much preferred that over working field crops).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again I never said smaller couldn't do it. But as I said we weren't on them daily so they weren't as conditioned as harder worked horses would be. And on a working farm/ranch like that spending $3500-$4500 is going to be a LOT of money to them. We weren't out gambling on rodeo this was a place were there was a lot of work to be done every day. Not every minute could be devoted to the cattle or horses (unfortunate in my book as I'd have much preferred that over working field crops).