New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saddling A Horse
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When going from one side of the horse to another when adjusting fenders, etc, do you usually walk around the back of the horse?

Or, duck under the horse's neck?

Just wondering.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both
But when going behind I always keep a hand on them & talk to them as well.
I only go behind MY horses after they have come to trust me.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do both, but, normally I only have to go around once. I saddle from the right side and hang everything down before going around.

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff you want to keep three point contact with the critter at all times when moving around them especially if they are not your own stock. If you do get kicked when maintaining contact you will be less likely to get injured. I would not go under the neck if the horse or mule lurches forward they will be on top of you and you have the potential to get clothes lined.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
I always tell the inexperienced to put their hand on the rump when moving behind if close quarters. That way you can feel a reaction coming before you FEEL the reaction Smiler
That's when around a calm mount. Otherwise no point in being within reach.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My horses are broke,so I do whatevers handy, but my baby great grand daughter can ride my horses and walk under them, if she were to fall off, my rope horse would freeze and remain that way until someone moved her..sometimes the cat rides with her.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally just walk behind a horse when changing sides, but occasionally, if I am holding a lead rope or reins, I duck under the horse.

The reason I brought this up, is a fairly well known and respected horse trainer was jumping on a student of his, for walking behind the horse.

His rationale, was that by ducking under the horse you save a lot of steps if you are working with a lot of horses.

I always let a horse know verbally if I am approaching him and try and keep a hand on his butt when walking behind them.

And I agree, you run the risk of a horse lunging into you or running over you if it spooks.

Thanks for your responses.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
quote:
His rationale, was that by ducking under the horse you save a lot of steps if you are working with a lot of horses.

quote:

quote:

Wow, guess the guy needs an earlier start.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
To the guy's credit, he has spent several decades working on ranches where he spent 8-10 hours a day in the saddle.

If you are tasked with saddling 10 or more horses at first light, when it is 10 below zero you might get a little more aware of time-saving methods.

Just saying.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Done that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think its a none issue, maybe its age but I would rather walk behind my horse then bend over going under his neck..A broke horse is good with it either way..When I feed and water, the horses are all over me Im behind them beside them under them..

If its a colt Im breaking then the first thing I do is work on his ground manors, usually hobble him to get him ok with whatever I do, when we get the trust I start the riding/training part, and some are so gentle from being messed with by the time I get around to riding him or her she is ground broke.

Just some insight to perhaps a different method..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Hobbling a young horse to get it used to being fooled with, is a great idea.

I sometimes, throw a rope around the fetlock of a horse that is sensitive about farrier work, just to keep it from trying to kick.

Thanks for sharing.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will tie a soft braided cotton rope to a hind leg and pull the leg up through another piecd of soft cotton rope around the lower neck..pull the hind leg up to the horses belly and use a slip knot on the neck loop in case he gets to fighting you can let the leg down, then tie it back up until he settles down, then lower the tied up foot about half way, shoe that foot, then work the other side..One the front feet tie one up shoe it, then the other

I make my hobble out of rolled up cotton sacks or burlap sacks, they don't injure a horse..Also I like knee high hobbles to start with. use them on the front legs..the horse can move around a bit but is much easier to handle, and easier to get on a fresh colt for a day or two, then use the low hobbles.Hobbles are a must IMO, makes life much easier.

I just changed my post to read : Not knew high hobbles to "knee high hobbles" sorry about that.

The knee high hobbles fit just above the front legs above the knees..very effective but not as apt to throw themselves on the ground as lower hobbles...I like them for most horses..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120