New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mares In Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I work with a little mustang mare who turns into an absolute demon when she is in heat.

She bites and kicks anyone who gets close to her.

Anyone know of any drugs to help quell the raging hormones of this little devil?

Other than when in season, she is a fairly calm horse who nips a bit, but is easily saddled and rides well.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Have you ever heard of Quietex? Look it up.
I've never used it on horses, but I have used it on bears....ya bears.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The real Mac Coy, lot of horse show people use it.

https://www.merck-animal-healt...Regu-Mate-Solution/1

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

We are supposed to take her to a "show and tell" for some kids next month, and if she is in season, the kids will have to keep their distance.

I'll see if I can get the Vet office to order some of this for us.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
1 CC of CLOROPROMAZINE, I ususally start with half that and see how it goes..it lasts for about 3 hours or longer..I seldom use it, however on rare occasions I get a really good rope horse to work that's pretty hot, it just takes that bad edge off, I might use it until he is rode down, but I use it as a last resort.

Some folks use ACE, but if the horse get hot it wears off immediately, I never use it..

The best bet is wet saddle blankets if you have the time and ability to put long hard daily rides on the horse, that works on the worst of them as a rule..Horses that have such problems are simply not broke. or as we say in the horse world, not finished.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Thanks for the information. This mare will only be used for a "show and tell" that will last about an hour.

The farrier for this horse has used Regu-Mate many times and seems to be a big fan of it.

I'll run the cloropromazine by him.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Run it by your vet might be your best bet..Its also easy to use, 1 cc under the tung, no needle injection required..I like that.
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^I will certainly do that.

Thanks.

BTW You have any cheap (~$2k) black bear hunts over bait available for next spring/summer/fall?

BH63