New
Find
Notify
Tools

How tall is 20 hands?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We had a few horses on the ranch growing up but were for work basically. Have ridden very little since. Saw on tv about a horse that was 20 hands, 2 3/4 inches tall and 2600 lbs. Can someone convert how tall this is in feet and inches? Looked to be a big horse for sure, Thanks.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be 82 3/4 inches tall. A hand is 4 inches

Posts: 2433 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a draft, too heavy for a saddle horse.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1584 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A hand is 4". Average quarter horse is 14-1/2 to 15.5 hands. Average Throughbred is 15.5 to 16.5 hands,

20 hands is an unusualy "big" draft horse or Mule as a rule..However some race horses have been 19 hands...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41791 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. It was on RFD tv, gentle giants. World record for biggest horse as I recall. It was a draft horse. One of the lady host's actually rode it bareback. I think Perchoun. Probably spelled wrong but hopefully close enough for you guys to know the breed.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Percheron?
great gentle horses that'll bust a vein pulling for a good owner.
just don't have your fingers in the ring when you hook them up, they go as soon as they feel the tension slack off.

Posts: 4965 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote