Find
Notify
Tools

Weekend ride
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted
Hunting season is over,So we got out for a late November ride last weekend. Snow in northern Utah, So we headed down south to ride the high desert

We rode Willis Creek on Friday and Coyote Gulch on Saturday.
Here we are dropping into Coyote Gulch

This is Coyote Gulch Natural Bridge

This is Jacob Hamblin Arch also in the same canyon

Fridays ride in Willis Creek turned out to be a challenge as the creek was frozen solid making for a very slick ride.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Nice, Painted.
Too much rain up here.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
When we get too much rain, Everything washes down stream. New debris piles up on trees and we get a new trail

Its why the ancient indians built their homes and storage up in the cliff walls

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice ride

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A bit more scenic than our ride today in flat country Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Pictures of the home country. We were about 3 miles from the Utah border and at the beginning of the canyon country.
Note: One thing I just won't do; lead a horse downslope. If he is going to be sliding along, I want to on him not under him. Each to his own on that though. (Don't like Leading upslope much either...) Learned both of those things as a little boy. Horse can both slide down and jump up faster than me.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see a horse being lead downslope in the "cowboy country" - don't think I've ever come across it before.

Down here in our NZ mountains we always lead our horse downslope, they've been good enough to carry us up and walking down isn't so much effort. However the main reason we do it is to save their knees, where I grew up we were in very steep country (anyone who doesn't think that mountain ranges vary a lot in "steep" hasn't been out much) and we had several older horses who had worn out fronts !!

Cheers
Foster

Oh and in half a lifetime of leading down I have never been stood or rolled on by a horse !!

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Since horses carry most of their weight on the fronts it only stands to reason that the fronts go first, whether being rode down or walked down.

From my limited experience it's the fronts that go first even here in flat country.

But riding down steep hills will only hasten the process but how much of a horses life is spent going down hills? Unless being ridden every day for a living, I wonder how much effect riding down steep hills really has. Just curious.

I know my one mule really doesn't like going down hills.

Hills or no hills, like this old guy told me once "Just when you have a horse about where you want them, they go lame."

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
One of my friends, who rides & packs a lot in our Big Horn Mountain range, always

gets off & leads his horse down steep inclines. Whether it is soft grass or

rocky, he swears it protects their front legs & makes them last longer?

Here's a pic of my wife riding up a canyon on our ranch, it's actually quite a bit

steeper than the picture makes it look!

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
At the very top of that downhill slope was a stretch of slick rock. Most of us got off and led the horses down because we were concerned about them slipping and sliding on the slick rock. It was not only steep downhill but sloped off the side. If the horse went down, somebody was going to roll a long way. We just didn't get back in the saddle for the sandy part of the descent. This is from a different ride, But just shows we sometimes feel it's safer to get off vs ride over some bad spots

one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
You can see some skid marks where the horses were sliding on this slick rock

And if the horse goes off the ledge here, it's a pretty steep drop into the bottom

Good footing or not so steep of drops offs, We stay in the saddle

One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
That's my kinda ridn'. Great pics.

Happy New Years to the pony gang!

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We did a Dude ride in Red Rock canyon, near Vegas, last March. Gorgeous country and something totally different for us norther Rockies folks.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote