Find
Notify
Tools

Bank robber's knot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
There are a bunch of youtube videos on the way to tie it but I use my own variation. Here's one variation in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pluaka9p6VQ

I don't have a video but here is the explanation of how I do it.

"There are variants of the bank robber's knot. It's much easier to put the first loop over the rail/pipe and pull it down and around so it's in front of you, with the lead end on the right and the tail on the left (just so I can keep track of what I'm doing). Then take the tail, which is on your left side, and wrap it down under the loop and the lead end and then feed a loop of the tail end through the top of the first first loop. Then pull on the lead end to make it tight.

That way you don't have to wrap the tail end around the rail/pipe at all, much less twice as Warwick shows in his video. I use it every day when I move the mules with the rtv from the corral to grass and back again."

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tie two versions of that knot, one so the horse can pull free and one I can pull free.

Slick knot IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use that knot, but you can add extended loops to take up the slack of the excess rope, some as long as 3 ft. the purpose is to keep the ropes tail out of the mud, dirt, snow etc....I don't know how to explain it or show in on the computer, but its a common practice. and its a jerk line still, just one pull and your good to go.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Lot's of good use for this knot and others like it. Don't be fooled into thinking taking the tail back through the note solves the problem of the horse going AWOL. The last Great horse I competed Nationally on could and would untie himself the instant you disappeared no matter what. If he could not get the knot, he would take his halter off. Had to use a leather neck strap one usually finds on a cow to have any chance of finding him where you left him. In fact many of his Family line had some ability to do this. Just very smart and a bit incorrigible. Many National and World titles on them so a small price to pay.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think some horses can pick a lock.. wave

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Animated knots is a useful tool for all sorts of knots.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Cool. Thanks.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ERICT,
THAT IS THE SAME KNOT AS A BANK ROBBERS KNOT...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Such a knot can save your life, use it in the trailer, sometimes a horse will freak out for a dozen reasons and pull back the jump forward and that scares him and all hell breaks loose, and your in there with him, very dangerous place to be but one jerk on the line releaves his frusteration and all settles down as a rule because a horse is an escape animal stop the fear is paramont I guess..Hope this saves one of you the experience..

I might add that a rope that wont release can severly injure a horse, breaking down his upper neck muscles and make him flop headed for the reemainder of his life, rare but does happen.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120