THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Feeding, Watering, and Mucking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding, Watering, and Mucking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been taking care of a friend's 4 horses for the last few days.

There is something deeply gratifying about being greeted by their soft nickering at 7:00 am when they are hungry and it is 10 degrees and snowing.

Kind of makes you think that God intended for horses to be kept by men.

Even mucking is kind of humbling and therapeutic IMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, they are Gods gift to people that know them, and it keeps one young and off your duff to feed, water, muck and care for the greatest animal on earth...you will live a lot longer if you really care for them and understand how to act and react around them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long, long ago, I read in a horseman mag just how much manure a grown horse puts out in a year. I can't remember the number but it was impressive. I immediately went home and kissed my 4 wheeler.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Long, long ago, I read in a horseman mag just how much manure a grown horse puts out in a year. I can't remember the number but it was impressive. I immediately went home and kissed my 4 wheeler.

LOL
I kinda understand your thinking.
BUT, my 4 wheelers show no emotion towards me nor are anywhere near as therapeutic as my horses.
I like my wheelers, but I LOVE my horses & there is nothing I do for them that I consider work!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I've been taking care of a friend's 4 horses for the last few days.

There is something deeply gratifying about being greeted by their soft nickering at 7:00 am when they are hungry and it is 10 degrees and snowing.

Kind of makes you think that God intended for horses to be kept by men.

Even mucking is kind of humbling and therapeutic IMO.

BH63

Try being raised on a horse farm with 120 instead of 4. Also 4 days work is a lot different than 22 years. I hate horses!

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:

LOL
I kinda understand your thinking.
BUT, my 4 wheelers show no emotion towards me nor are anywhere near as therapeutic as my horses.
I like my wheelers, but I LOVE my horses & there is nothing I do for them that I consider work!

No the four wheeler doesn't show any emotion. I've never had one bite me, nor kick me, nor decide, miles and miles from home, to pull the picket pin and go home, nor decide, for no reason, it was time to rodeo, etc. They are therapeutic in that they will drive you crazy. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:

According to one of my books, a 1000 lb horse can generate 40 lbs of road apples per day. Multiply that by 365 and that is one heck of a lot of horseshit.

To be honest, I would not want to work as a stable hand (even with front loaders,etc) mucking would get old pretty quick. LOL

Still building a bond with 3 or 4 horses, does seem to set well with my spirit.

I have owned an ATV since 1995. I've rolled it twice, and it does come in handy, but I never seemed to bond with it for some reason. LOL

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is more manure on this thread than a horse can dump in a lifetime..More folks killed and injured on 4 wheelers than by horse so cut the shit! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
There is more manure on this thread than a horse can dump in a lifetime..More folks killed and injured on 4 wheelers than by horse so cut the shit! rotflmo

When I got my first 3 wheeler, the salesman told my son and I , if you get hurt on one of these, it's because you're doing something stupid. He was rght. I've seen some folks do some pretty stupid things on ATVs. However, you don't have to be doing anything stupid to get hurt on or around a horse. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

When I got my first 3 wheeler, the salesman told my son and I , if you get hurt on one of these, it's because you're doing something stupid. He was rght. I've seen some folks do some pretty stupid things on ATVs. However, you don't have to be doing anything stupid to get hurt on or around a horse. Smiler

3-wheeled ATVs are inherently unsafe by design, so the salesman was just doing what salesmen do, trying to sell you an ATV!

One of the easiest (and most natural) ways to get hurt on an ATV (4 wheeler) is to put your foot down when it leans over during a traverse or when crawling over a big rock. It is a perfectly natural reaction, yet if those big grabby tires get your foot, you will get a broken leg. This IMO is not necessarily being stupid, just not being able to control your natural instincts.

Most people who get seriously hurt by a horse are doing something stupid (like not paying attention to a 1000 lb animal or worse).

A friend of mine, who has spent his life working and training horses has personally witnessed 4 people get killed by horses. He states emphatically that in every case it was the person's fault.

Sure, you will get nipped occasionally, but using good, common "horse sense" should keep you out of trouble most of the time. You have to develop a "feel" the horse and monitor it in real time.

Riding horses are like riding ATVs, in that occasionally you will have accidents where the horse looses his footing and goes down, or the horse steps in a hole and goes down. That is just part of living IMO.

And just like riding an ATV, the more aggressive you are, the more the chances of accident increase.

I generally ride my ATV on trails where you wouldn't want to take a jeep, so I have had my share of bumps. LOL

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
LIfe isn't always a bed or roses, folks get killed in gun fights too ya know! Big Grin

You can train and teach a horse not to do bad things, ya can't teach a 4 wheeler nothing..

You can't teach a mule nothing cuz his brain is the size of a hummingbirds brain...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't teach a mule nothing cuz his brain is the size of a hummingbirds brain...

I can't let this one pass.

There are good horses and good mules.

The problem is that the majority of horses and mules are stupid and not to be trusted.

But I'll trust my mules over any horse that ever lived. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19306 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
The only difference between a horse and an ATV is the horse has a mind of its own and the ATV doesn't.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I was waiting for some come back on that mule remark. It seemed pretty far fetched to me.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

I can't let this one pass.

There are good horses and good mules.

The problem is that the majority of horses and mules are stupid and not to be trusted.

But I'll trust my mules over any horse that ever lived. Smiler

There is a reason horses are more popular than mules.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cowboys don't like riding something that's smarter than they are. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mules have a mind of their own and are much harder to accept someone as the "alpha" IMO. Still they have their good qualities.

Saturday was the last day for me to take care of my friend's horses. During the morning feed, the mustang chomped down on my ring finger as I was putting the hay flakes in her pen. I yelled and she let go, but I could have easily lost a finger.

They do keep you on their toes, for sure.

Still it is so relaxing to watch them dig into their grain and/or hay after you finished feeding them. They are (for the most part) grateful for your care.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
cowboys don't like riding something that's smarter than they are. Smiler

You talking about the wife

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
All in good fun my man, Ive owned many a good mule, broke them for my dad all thu greade school and highschool..I do prefer a horse for cowboying and competing, but when I go hunting I'll sometimes grab a good mule..

I recall one time I got pissed and was whipping my horse, My dad rode up and gave me that looked that scared the crap out of me and for good reason and said, "Son, all that poney asks of you is a bucket of oats and your respect, and in return he gives you his all, he didn't deserve the whipping, you did" and rode off, I hung up my quirt up in the barn before it got used on me..All it ever did was set my training back another 60 days anyway..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Mule hides make excellent leather. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the fact that my horses recognize me. They come to the fence when I come out, they follow me all around. I often let the extra horses run loose when I'm riding and the herd mentality kicks in and they stay with me all day.

I've put a lot of hours into my horses and they behave pretty well. We have gotten in some bad situations and they have waited for me to fix the problems.

https://youtu.be/mJRyMNX9ppk

https://youtu.be/xeI-UwRi1ko

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Painted Horse:
I enjoy the fact that my horses recognize me. They come to the fence when I come out, they follow me all around. I often let the extra horses run loose when I'm riding and the herd mentality kicks in and they stay with me all day.

I've put a lot of hours into my horses and they behave pretty well. We have gotten in some bad situations and they have waited for me to fix the problems.

Treat a horse right and they will take up with you. Mistreat them and they will remember it for a long time.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
More folks killed and injured on 4 wheelers than by horse so cut the shit!

When horses were the most common means of transportation and work animals a lot of people were killed by them.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can't get lost at night in the mountains and have yer four wheeler guide you to your tent...

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
you can't get lost at night in the mountains and have yer four wheeler guide you to your tent...

That is a fact, but a horse will take you back on his own.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good gps will do the same thing with a lot less horse shit. And feed for that matter.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
A good gps will do the same thing with a lot less horse shit. And feed for that matter.

The horse has a built in gps that doesn’t need batteries, nor the need to carry a gps. The horse doesn’t disturb game like a 4 wheeler, plus the fact the horse can go places the 4 wheeler can’t.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my 4 wheelers, but I LOVE my horses.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a good mule, I like a good horse, but most of all I like to stick a spur in my good friend Will from time to time!! beer rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120