THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Ever use DMSO on yourself?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever use DMSO on yourself?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've heard of some people using DMSO to relieve aching joints.

Have any of you ever tried it?

If so, what's your thoughts.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
It was commonly used in Oklahoma in the 60s and 70s. Some of the old farmers and ranchers swore that it helped a great deal. Before I tried it; however, I would research any known hazards such as liver toxicity.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have used it a good deal, only down side is you rub in on your skin but it will leave a nasty metallic taste in your mouth..

It was commonly used by ranchers and folks who lived the Western way of life..

There are better remedies today that can be had from your local vetm or western stores, Hyaluronic acid works real well, it comes in people bottles and animal bottles, but its the same stuff.

Veterison is the best stuff for wounds on man or beast..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Buff, I remember the DMSO craze 40 years ago. They were hawking that stuff at gas stations, at least in Oregon.
For OTC relief from aches and arthritis, I have found Pain Wizard pretty useful. It is made in Colorado. No big secret, just a blend of the right stuff.

https://painwizard.com/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
I'll have to try it on my arthritic hip.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post

DMSO is a solvent Carrier compound. It will indeed penetrate very quickly right through the skin and carry whatever is mixed with it in as well. You can taste it instantly and everyone else can smell it on you.
It doesn't care what it carries into you either; maybe your DEET bug spray or whatever else is on your skin. Yes I used some back in the horse training days; mixed with Bute sometimes. Both stupid ways to treat yourself.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
quote:
Hide Post

DMSO is a solvent Carrier compound. It will indeed penetrate very quickly right through the skin and carry whatever is mixed with it in as well. You can taste it instantly and everyone else can smell it on you.
It doesn't care what it carries into you either; maybe your DEET bug spray or whatever else is on your skin. Yes I used some back in the horse training days; mixed with Bute sometimes. Both stupid ways to treat yourself.

Bute is nasty stuff, couple of cases of jockeys medicating with the stuff and dying.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I get a bad hip, or any joint..I go to my doc and get a shot, He keeps me roping at 84 so its got to be good stuff and last with me years, My wife has foot problems with arthritis and she gets a shot every 6 months like most folks, the shot last me longer than anyone my doc has used it on, guess I got lucky on this.

Old timers used Bute for colds etc..and a bunch of them ceased to be old timers, just corpses.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Cetyl M in the tube dispenser. Helps horses and people. Mild, pleasant scent and seems to work well. It hasn't killed anyone I know who has used it!

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ray. And the shot I get is pre-paid by social security deductions.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting my shot on May 6th!!!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Yes I have used it a good deal, only down side is you rub in on your skin but it will leave a nasty metallic taste in your mouth..

It was commonly used by ranchers and folks who lived the Western way of life..

There are better remedies today that can be had from your local vetm or western stores, Hyaluronic acid works real well, it comes in people bottles and animal bottles, but its the same stuff.

X2, tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a knee replaced last Oct.
Friend Jack bought a pint bottle of DMSO for me to use.

Seemed to help with the pain. But, the skin got quite rough and started to having a rash so I quit using it. Believe I was putting it on heavily several times a day. Very likely the reason for the reactions.

Maybe 30 years ago three of our big dogs got to fighting and I got chewed on breaking them up. Seems three dogs and two hands just ain't enough! Tossed the german shepard over a 4' fence and grabbed for the other two. Barely got hold of them before Shep was back at it again, jumped the fence. DAMN!

Having them sewn up the vet tapped my hand and said: "use this on there too". Healed up I felt quicker than it would and for once didn't infect.

Seems I get dog bit or cat scratched it infects right away. Even had blood poisoning from a few. Since the wife died in '03 I never had a dog again until about 7-8yrs ago. Friendliest dog in town: Schipperke, Midnight's about 13 this last spring.

Use it, but, watch your skin for any changes or reactions. And don't use it too much as I did and you should get relief with it. Cortisone injections don't last me long if at all.
For knee's I had some over 65 Synvisc injections to both knees: Every six months until the last two times it didn't help at all. Doc said: "ok, it's time to replace 'em now that this don't help". Trouble is I fell and wrecked things, dislocated the knee cap. Five months before the new dr got me in to fix it then I got infection for 5-6 weeks. At 11 months I still can't walk much on it, lots of pain. Somethings just not right in there I feel. Will see what he says in Oct at a year.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMSO is just a carrier, by itself no therapeutic effect. I do know a couple of people who have dosed themselves with Ivermectin, not pleasant. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, if you are reliably getting six months out of a corticosteroid injection, you are one of the lucky ones. I got relief once out of five different rounds of injections. Wish they worked for me.
George, darn, that thing is still hurting. I'm sorry bro.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In college, we swore that Butte was the hangover cure. I’m only 38 but I’m thankful that I’m older and wiser than I was. As for DMSO, I’ve only gotten it on me by accident and the taste wasn’t pleasant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I've heard of some people using DMSO to relieve aching joints.

Have any of you ever tried it?

If so, what's your thoughts.

BH63

Neigh!

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My boss uses Bigeloil horse linamint on his sore parts.
I tried once, it worked but I could stop eating oats!!

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
quote:
Hide Post

Bute is nasty stuff, couple of cases of jockeys medicating with the stuff and dying.

When I was in college, I worked summers at a factory job, they used DMSO on workers all the time, probably not legally.

I have seen lots of horse people medicate with bute

Grizz

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hide Post

Grizz

Just FYI...phenylbutazone (marketed as Butazolidine aka bute) was a FDA approved and prescribed human pharmaceutical for many years. In the late 1970’s it was routinely prescribed by MDs to humans for things like sprained ankles and other musculoskeletal injuries. I took it many times with football injuries while in high school prescribed by a MD.

It is just an NSAID like naproxen or ibuprofen. It did have a lower threshold for side effects than newer NSAIDs and consequently was abandoned for human use. That said, with proper dosing, side effects were rare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hide Post

Grizz

Just FYI...phenylbutazone (marketed as Butazolidine aka bute) was a FDA approved and prescribed human pharmaceutical for many years. In the late 1970’s it was routinely prescribed by MDs to humans for things like sprained ankles and other musculoskeletal injuries. I took it many times with football injuries while in high school prescribed by a MD.

It is just an NSAID like naproxen or ibuprofen. It did have a lower threshold for side effects than newer NSAIDs and consequently was abandoned for human use. That said, with proper dosing, side effects were rare.

I think what concerned me was the dosing looking back. Turn the dial a bit on the paste tube and let her rip was the college hangover tactic. Fortunately I’m a bit smarter now (alledegely) than I was in my college rodeo days.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
DMSO is just a carrier, by itself no therapeutic effect. I do know a couple of people who have dosed themselves with Ivermectin, not pleasant. Big Grin

Grizz

DMSO does have pharmaceutical properties as well. It is classified as both an NSAID and free-oxygen-radical scavenger. It has been used in humans intravenously for CNS trauma but is currently only labeled for bladder lavage for a specific type of cystitis (bladder inflammation) in women.

In horses...it is still used intravenously for CNS trauma and reperfusion injury, intra-articularly for inflammation in joints secondary to infection, and topically for subcutaneous edema caused by inflammation.

In horses...it is a quite useful pharmo-chemical.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a short update on my screwed up knee.
For those few that may be interested.

First of Dec I told the doc: "this thing
will never be any good, I'd like it replaced
again if you can".
"IF you want it replaced, I'll schedule it".

Going in Monday Jan 13th to have it done.
I believe a fall with full weight (270) on it
broke a piece of the plastic off. There's a
popping and seems to be a loose part in there
now.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pardon my spelling its close enough I think so:

Hyluric Acid, is a horse cure and good for daily dosage for people.

Vetericin is as good a wound dressing for both human and animal application

Hopefully MEDVM will clean up this post!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update:

had the knee replaced on the 13th.
Doing great with it. Go in the 30th
to get the staples out. Walking on a
cane since the next day, home 47 hrs
after.

The last three days I've applied DMSO
once per day. Today, it's showing a
big red rash. Will find someone with
livestock to donate it to.

Ray: Hyaluric acid I think is how it's
spelled. Maybe wrong too.
Synvisc is what it's called though.
I've had at least 65 injections of the
stuff I call STP for the joints. Once it
quit helping it was time to replace 'em.

Might take more that just Lane to fix
this post!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
DMSO was the rage smong weightlifters in the late 1970s. I tried it upon the recommendation of other lifter friends. It didn't seem to do much but did leave a bad garlic taste in my mouth.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Pain Wizard looks pretty good. I will give it a try when I get some. (It's not available in Canada.) Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of these things reminds me of what
some of the 'other guys' did to Tommy
in the Army.

Dosed all his shorts with Wint o Green.

Then laughed at the poor guy when it
started taking effect. Good thing he had
a decent sense of humor. I know if it had
been me and a few dozen others there'd been
blood spilled.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Something I used DMSO from that I am not so proud of and it has taken me this long to post here because I am worried someone will do this.

I extracted the juice out of a road kill skunk and mixed it equal parts with about a teaspoon full of DMSO and the coated a door knob on an exterior access door to a pole barn of a certain individual. He was sick for a few days, and ever after that a road kill skunk cost him his last meal.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap. I can think of a couple of people that I could use That treatment on...

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
All it takes is a strong stomach, a luer lock syringe without the needle, and a road kill skunk that didn't spray in the process of dying.

Oh yeah, a pretty strong dislike of the target individual ought to be part of it too as it invokes pity for them. This is not practical joke scale retribution, it is serious discomfiture that lasts a long enough time that their dying is not such a bad idea to them.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of John Pomazi
posted Hide Post
My grandpa used it all the time. He lived to be 100! Now it’s debatable if this was because or despite.......

Posts: 19 | Location: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: 26 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Mixed Dexamethasone with DMSO. Applied to sore joints on Daughters barrel horse. Seemed to help a lot.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote