New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse Sense
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yesterday, I kept a young woman from getting hurt.

She was combing the tail of an old quarter horse named Buddy.

She was standing directly behind him as she groomed him.

Now as a rule of thumb you never want to be directly in front of a horse or directly behind.

The reason is if the horse spooks or rears or kicks you are in the line of fire.

I went over to the lady and recommended she move to the side and comb the tail from that position. She complied.

Now old Buddy doesn’t have a mean bone in his body but he is prone to panic attacks.

As we stood and talked, me on one side of the horse and the lady on the other, someone entered the round pen carrying a bucket.

For a reason no one will ever know, Buddy, who had been standing quietly, jumped straight back about 4 feet and then threw a fit backing up another 6 feet before we could get him calmed down.

If that lady had still been standing behind him, she would have been knocked to the ground and trampled.

With horses, always pay attention to where you are in relation to the horse. They can explode quite unexpectedly.

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good advise.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well there are a lot of people that don't know what broke horse is, you could set off a stick of dynamite behind any of our horses and they wouldn't move inch, they don't shy, kick, bite or misbehave in any manor, not counting young colts...To train a horse you must be smarter than the horse...Its surprising how many people think if you can get on one and ride it around its broke..I know cowboys that can ride, work cattle, do lots of things on a horse but they don't know when a horse is "broke" and if he is not broke that well then he will never be a great rope horse, or IMO a good hunting horse or anything but a ruined horse..If I kill a deer on the side of a mountain, I quarter the deer hang the hind quarters on the back of my saddle, the shoulders over the front and the rest in sack, and head for the house or pickup and trailer, carry the horns in my hand or tied someplace handy..that horse is broke If the deer is a spike for forky I pull it up in my lap and ride out, or a baby calf that's lost is mama...I would not do that on a horse I don't know..

Hobbles are a great training aid but how many horses stand like a stone these days when you drop the reins on the groung in a pasture and walk off shoot a gun and walk back to him and get on him. Because they don't know what a hobble is, and so many horses are nothing but pasture pets..Just some food for thought. I will stand behind my horses and comb their tail, or sit under them to get shade. My point is a horse that isn't bomb proof is not fit to own, and a danger to the owner and folks around him..There are 150 to 300 horses at a small town rodeo or roping and maybe a 1000 at a large rodeo and people are all over and around themc, there kids are hanging on them or Lord knows what, lots of broke horses out there and they won't hurt anyone, because the owner went to the troble to see that doesn't happen. If his horse is such that it won't behave then that dumb sob should stay home, and a few of them show up now and then and are sometimes told to take their horse and get...The owner is responsible and liable for his horse..The other thing around cowboys and cowgirls is one could get in trouble offering advise that could very easily be taken as an insult to the owner or rider, even when offered in good faith, Ive seen that happen, and in a couple of cases Id rather be kicked by the horse! Smiler Just a different take on your post, for what its worth. Not bring critical of anyone in particular, just making my case for the horse.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In CO, by law, horse owners are NOT liable if their horse hurts you.

I would never give advice to a horse owner about their horse or even to a “know it all” about about anything. I would rather they learn the hard way.

And I totally agree there are way too many people that treat horses like pets and tolerant bad and/or dangerous behavior.

But I have yet to see a horse that has its instincts totally trained out to where it won’t bolt if startled or stung by a hornet in a sensitive area.

But I’ve never worked with roping horses, just racehorses and pleasure horses.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well there are a lot of people that don't know what broke horse is, you could set off a stick of dynamite behind any of our horses and they wouldn't move inch, they don't shy, kick, bite or misbehave in any manor, not counting young colts...

Anyone with even an inkling of "horse sense" will get a "kick" out of the above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:Well there are a lot of people that don't know what broke horse is, you could set off a stick of dynamite behind any of our horses and they wouldn't move inch, they don't shy, kick, bite or misbehave in any manor, not counting young colts...

I saw a horse NOTHING would spook. It was in front of Wal Mart, but if you put a quarter in it, it went wild.

Seriously, I saw a very gentle horse get spooked and was almost bad results for a couple of my grandkids. We weren't sure, but we think a rattlesnake spooked it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent most of my growing up years around high-spirited ex-race horses.

With those horses, you always had to keep one eye on the horse and the other eye on your surroundings, as you never knew what, if anything, would set one off.

That lessons has stayed with me for all my life, and I am always trying to "read" the horse even if I know it one to be steady as a rock.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
It all begins with a 2 year old being desensitized and there is a program to do this..It works 100% but chosing the horse in the first place is important, HOw many can do that?..

Don't get me wrong if you abuse a horse or conjur up a wasp sting of bullet wound whatever then this thread loses its credibility.

Keep in mind that a horse is not a predatory animal, he is by nature an escape animal, before you can train him you have to understand that..If he trusts you he will try is best not to injure you and its up to you to know how to handle those instances..Probably the best bet if your into horses is to do the horse blogs not a hunting blog! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Too many of the horse blogs are filled up with posters who have horses as pets, best friends, and lovers. I am way too straightforward and opinionated to get along with those people. If I mention about how I once put a twitch on a donkey in order to trim it's hooves, I would be crucified.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Best way to train a horse is to work a horse. Too many hobby horses that spend most of their time in the pasture. Not enough consistency. I try to purchase horses that have been on working ranches. Take me to a ranch that has 500 head of cattle or an Outfitter that works his horses year round doing summer camping trips. Back when the prison farms here in NC were working cattle I found two great mares.
Working horses with bird dogs is much more challenging than working the dogs.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
If I ever win a couple of million dollars, I am going to buy some property in the south, stock it with Mr. Bobwhite, get a brace or two of good English pointers, a couple of good horses (Standardbreds or Saddlebreds or Walking), and a very expensive 12 gauge side-by-side (maybe a Purdey or a Rigby).

Then life would be good.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well trained horses are like well trained dogs.

Soon as you start bagging about how well trained and behaved they are they do something to make you look stupide.

Posts: 19363 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Ain’t that the truth.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Well trained horses are like well trained dogs.

Soon as you start bagging about how well trained and behaved they are they do something to make you look stupide.

In reply, I always claim horses are suicidal. If there's a way to hurt themselves, they'll find it. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I have yet to see a horse that has its instincts totally trained out to where it won’t bolt if startled or stung by a hornet in a sensitive area.

Then you have not seen near as many as I.

But then again I don’t remember a day in my life that did not have a horse in it and I make my living with them.

Seriously, Ray makes some very valid points.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36552 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Maybe, but you have access to drugs that will allow you to smash your private parts with a pipe wrench while whistling “Dixie”.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my exprience with horses has been in field trials or on pack trips. But even I know that there are some things that you just don't do.

Amazing how many people I see leading a horse holding the halter rope and walking directly in front of the horse. Or leaving their rifle in the scabbard after dismounting, or...

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Another pain point is all of the vet bills and cost of medications. People do not realize how expensive it is to properly take care of animals. Lost an English Pointer last week to cancer. Vet kept him for four days before we put him down.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having to put down a good dog has to be the worst part of ownership.

I agree horses can be expensive and it is amazing how fast and how easy a good horse can get sick.

Founder, colic, and thrush seem to happen every time you leave a horse alone for a week.

But still, they are a marvelous animal whose domestication has enabled us to advance as a civilization.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A horse can kick to the side as easily as he can to the rear. Seen one shatter a rider's knee 4 feet to his left.

There's really no safe spot behind them or off to the side...trust me. You either have a well mannered horse or not. If you aren't sure ask you ferrier...he'll tell you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
No doubt, if a horse wants to hurt you, you will get hurt.

This thread was mainly referring to horses that hurt you inadvertently because something (or nothing) spooks them.

But your point is well taken.

Last week I went into a pen to halter a mustang. She kept turning her hindquarters toward me like she wanted to kick me. She has a history of kicking and biting people.

I knew I couldn’t rush her so I just talked to her for about 10 minutes and then she finally turned to me and let me halter her.

She is not a mean horse, she just has some bad habits that need fixing. But she can still hurt you because her instincts are to attack.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing is bomb proof. Once you lose respect for this animal it could lead to your death or injury. They still think on the prey system and always will.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have a scar on my back from where a Appaloosa bit me and picked me up off of the ground. I was around 13 or 14 at the time. Took a 2x4 to him afterwards which was not the right thing to do. I started rigging up shock collars a few years ago for one of my horses and it is the best training system that I have used. I also think that it is the most humane. Try it. I can assure you that they will know quickly who is in charge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cuban buggy horse. Being a horse guy, I was tempted to scratch behind the ears. Smiler That's when his head came up like this and I remembered the story of my buddy's brother's girlfriend . She was going to do the same, almost cost her all the fingers on one hand. Cuban horses have a miserable life and they reflect it.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote