THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Utilizing your animals for work
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Utilizing your animals for work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody use there mules or horses to do draft work ? Post some picture's.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
Mine are saddle or pack animals.
But I do get them out all year round to keep them exercised

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my high dollar team roping horses like any ranch horse..I work cattle, hunt of them, do whatever needs to be done and more..Most of our family horses are required to multi task. rope calves, team rope head or heel, maybe run barrels, drag calves to the branding crew, in other words do whatever needs to be done..Its never hurt them as far as I know, and it makes them worth more money, and makes them a better horse...I learned this long ago in my misspent youth when I worked for EP Eppenauer, a cutting horse man who had 4 world champion cutting horses, Ceasers Pistol, Pistol Hancock, George Hancock and Bar Hug. In the summer months I worked on his big ranch in the Davis Mountains of Texas..He would bring those $100,000 dollar horses to the ranch and tell me to ride the crap out of them, use them like any other ranch horse..I remember being scared to death that I would cripple one, he said if you do, you do, don't worry about it...those were not spoiled horses and they could all do a hard days work in the mountains and in Texas there are few trails to ride in the Big Bend country.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful time of the year for sure. Nice string of critters.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine just do sanity maintenance. They keep me from going crazy.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I adhere to the Buster Welch method; use them for whatever needs to be done. Like Mr. Atkinson said above, makes them a better horse.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does packing out elk count?

Or dragging calves? This was a few years ago at her first branding. She's drug many more since.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would require my best rope horse to pack out an elk if the occasion occurred, and I didn't have a pack horse..I have packe out a whole deer in my lap on him several times.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin:
I adhere to the Buster Welch method; use them for whatever needs to be done. Like Mr. Atkinson said above, makes them a better horse.

I watched Buster put Little Peppy in a gooseneck trailer loose with a bunch of cows. Somebody asked him if that didn't worry him. He responded: "I use him just like any other horse I ride...that's what made him great."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Yep, any horses around our place get used for everything and have to be "well rounded". Even back when my wife was doing a lot of showing and we were hauling to both open and breed shows, those horses got rode out plenty and used for ranch work and hunting. It was a sanity break for them.

Nothing more useless than an 'arena horse' that loses its marbles when taken away from the security.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is wet saddle blankets rule. Abuse does not. Use them hard, but don't hurt them, make the roping box and the mountains a fun place to be for you and your horse.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottom line is wet saddle blankets rule. Abuse does not. Use them hard, but don't hurt them, make the roping box and the mountains a fun place to be for you and your horse.

I like the way you put that.
I don't want my horses to fear my hands.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin:

I watched Buster put Little Peppy in a gooseneck trailer loose with a bunch of cows. Somebody asked him if that didn't worry him. He responded: "I use him just like any other horse I ride...that's what made him great."

Typical Buster. Thanks for sharing that, don't know how I missed it before. If that man had gone past the 6th grade he'd of been President and we'd be better for it.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Correction Richard, if he never did a day in school we'd been better off for it! What we have had for the last two terms is a idiot that ate all his books.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120