New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Buckskin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I brought home a new 11yr old buckskin gelding (Dusty) Thursday.
I kept him in a stall that night & he & my bay (Cowboy) almost tore the stall gate down fighting.
The next night I had them in separate pastures & they tore down a section of fence & were in the same pasture the next morning. Cowboy was skint up pretty good, but nothing substantial.
My old black gelding (Hank) never starts anything, but is always happy to finish it if he is messed with. He & Dusty have had a go at it a few times with Dusty taking the worst of it.
I counseled Cowboy on learning to get along with Dusty or take some fighting lessons from Hank. He must have listened to me as there were no new wounds on him today.
Will be glad when they finally get there pecking order worked out. I don't like worrying about my boys.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Digging up an old post.
What happened down the line? I am not familiar with geldings fighting like this.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They get along quite well now. They still bite each other now and then, but not often and not as severe.
They just have to work their pecking order out and then maintain it.
Dusty is now with a trainer to work out some issues that I am too old to fix myself.
I am not a real cowboy, just a man that enjoys his horses.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
Digging up an old post.
What happened down the line? I am not familiar with geldings fighting like this.

Geldings can be as mean as any of them. I would on occasion put a stud colt out with the geldings to humble him a bit.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine recently bought 2 very nice palomino geldings & immediately had to separate them from his blue roan gelding. The blue roan was biting & kicking the crap out of the 2 newcomers.
Just working out who's the boss.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Jeez.......... I don't see this here much, but how about some pictures?

I like buckskins. Reminds me of Dances with Wolves.Wink

Kelly

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeez.......... I don't see this here much, but how about some pictures?

I almost lost my mind (small as it is) trying to figure out photobucket.
No pictures from me I'm afraid.

NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Oh well, can't blame you for that.

Last buckskin we owned was a big, stout QH gelding we raised years ago. He was a hell of a horse and you could do anything on him, but eventually some one wrote out a big enough check and down the road he went.

Just a color, but one I have always been partial to.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote