THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Horses for treating PTSD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horses for treating PTSD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm sure most veterans in this group will understand having personal demons. It's taken years and lots of work but a little over a month ago I took off to at least put a rest to some of those haunts.

Recently I've seen a few articles on how PTSD sufferers are benefitting from working with animals, more specifically horses. Horses are pretty honest, being a prey animal they reflect the persons feelings.

When I first heard about this program I thought it sounded tailor made for me. Even still it took me a few years to finally get the nerve to apply.

https://www.heroesandhorses.org

I wasn't selected the first time I applied which was bitterly disappointing but they encouraged me to try again and after a revamp (and a lot more hard work) I got selected this year to be part of class 2. I'll be flying out this weekend. I doubt I'll be able to post while attending the program but hopefully I'l have few pictures and stories to share when I return.

I was even gifted a custom made 100% beaver felt hat for this trip!

I grew up on a ranch but I was never much for anything more than ball caps. This one is different, from the moment I put it on it replaced my well worn faithful ball cap companion. Got to look the part!

This program is 100% free, they've even bought my plane tickets. Below is a picture of their packing list (plus a few things I threw in just in case).

Thats it for 40 days. As a lifelong overpacker I'm feeling very unprepared by the lack of extras. I could probably justify loading down the back of my F250 for 40 days without really trying.

If you look closely in the middle you'll see two unobtrusive knives. Some of you will wonder why... Simply it is because I don't trust TSA not to take them. So a Buck 110 and a Gossman UNK is what I finally settled on. Both are quite capable but also easy enough to replace should they be deemed to scary.

This is our class along with out two class leaders just before departing on out first 8 day pack trip. Pretty big accomplishment for limited a group of guys who had limited riding experience and no packing experience a week prior. Were back now for two weeks before heading out for another 11 days.[ATTACH=full]753132[/ATTACH]

Lost Lake, Montana

Coffee at the hitching rail

40 tough days and all I got was a buckle? Not hardly, I believe everyone involved, students and faculty alike grew from the experience.

I've been home since last Thursday and I don't believe I can yet say in all the ways this program has helped me. It's not an easy program, you're certainly not coddled or told how much you are owed. Instead they push you to find that kid that signed the dotted line all those years ago. You aren't too old, too broken or too weak to, those are just excuses. Instead of excuses your shows ways in seeing the problem differently so that the obstacle becomes the solution and reminds you that life is a journey that should be enjoyed not a race to the end. I (and every other student) had plenty of bad days where we were ready to quit, but none did. All the getting bucked off, stepped on, kicked, through the falling trees, hail, rain and thunderstorms, aching joints and broken fingers made even the smallest victory that much sweeter. All in all I can't recommend this program enough for any combat vets that may be interested. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a productive time!

I volunteer 3 times a week at the Sunny Horse Foundation. We work with veterans including some that are in a VA program for PTSD.

It is so gratifying to see some of the these veterans break down and open up after working with a horse for an hour.

Although certainly not as ambitious as the program you described, nonetheless we use horses to help a lot of veterans.

Thanks for sharing.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you !

Semper Fi

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
My horse kept me sane during my law enforcement career.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, the best things I like is when a horse knickers a greeting.

I find it relaxing to sit and talk with other horse people while watching horses graze. So much serenity and fellowship.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote