THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Cleaning a Gelding's Sheath
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a Gelding's Sheath
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A gelding I work with has been rubbing his tail bare. I'm thinking he might have a problem with a dirty sheath.

What's the best way to clean it (other than get someone else to do it. LOL)?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
A bucket of warm soapy water, a rag and/or your hand.

Long ago we had a gelding I swore drug his @!$Wink in the dirt so a cleaning was often in order.

You might also google it for methods also. It's not too difficult just make sure you get all the soap off.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
A gelding I work with has been rubbing his tail bare. I'm thinking he might have a problem with a dirty sheath.

Have you wormed that gelding recently ? Rubbing their tail or ass is usually a sign of an itchy ass caused by worms.

BH63

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
much more likely he needs to be wormed if he is rubbing his butt, if you have wormed him recently ands he is still rubbing switch wormers..I would bet dollars to donuts he needs worming as passing the worms in feces irritates the anus lining.

If he is spraying urine and straining or has intermittent shots of urine, then clean his sheath as it builds up what we call rocks..Its a good idea to clean the sheath every six months or a year..Also a good idea to have your vet do it the first time and watch how he does it then do it yourself after that..because he had better be real broke and trust worthy or he might kick the top of your head off..Vets can give them a shot in such cases.. old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
A sheath cleaning is a necessity for male horses. You'll also need to get the 'bean' out of the inside of his penis. A vet will do it nicely if you are squeamish. Best have the doc do it when teeth need floating, etc when the horse is best sedated. He will drop his penis and then is cleaned easily.

Rotational paste wormer also helps tail rubbing. This is easy for the average owner to administer.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. The horse was wormed in January, but we might need to try a different type of wormer.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
I worm my horses every 6 months, and every 90 days is better, but depends on the area..A vet will fix you up with a complete program for your area...Farm ground and short grass is more likely to have a larger worm infestation..Wide open large ranchers have less infestation and less health problems in general by far..just like people.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the advice. The horse was wormed in January, but we might need to try a different type of wormer.

BH63

Do a fecal float test to see if he needs worming.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This horse is kept with 4 other horses and they are all due for their spring worm tests.

Thanks again for your advice!

BH63

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snyper:
quote:

BH63

Do a fecal float test to see if he needs worming.

They need worming a test is a waste of money and not always accurate

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worm on a schedule 90 to 120 day schedule. I use different wormers at different times of the schedule..based on my vets program for this area.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I worm on a schedule 90 to 120 day schedule. I use different wormers at different times of the schedule..based on my vets program for this area.

Tobacco will also worm a horse, in fact I use it regularly because worms are building a resistance to commercial workers.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just retract the sheath and use luke warm water to hose the penis down I also use gentle irrigation in the sheath itself. Some critters don't tolerate this very well so be aware it might get western .

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JWP,
Funny you should mention using tobacco to worm a horse..my dad would take the chew out of his mouth and worm a horse with it, my granddad would say its a damn shame to waste a good chew on a horse! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120