The Accurate Reloading Forums
Sticky Coat

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721043/m/3501090452

13 September 2019, 20:17
BuffHunter63
Sticky Coat
One of the older quarter horses where I volunteer, has started to have a somewhat sticky coat.

It just started this year, along with a fairly dramatic loss of muscle mass.

Grooming does not seem to have an effect on this stickiness (kind of unpleasant feel to it).

Other than old age, and deterioration is this something that is treatable by adding sunflower seeds, or some other nutrient to his feed.

He currently gets timothy hay, along with timothy pellet (soaked in water) and some Purina Senior feed twice a day.

His weight is fairly steady at around 900-950 lbs.

He is about 34 years old.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!
14 September 2019, 20:09
Grizzly Adams1
Time to consult a veterinarian, I would say. At 34, about anything is possible.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell
16 September 2019, 08:29
wilhem8
quote:
Accuratereloading.

Over the last several years we have lost 4 old family horses due to old age. The oldest 2 were 37 1 was 35 one was 32. I don't remember them having a sticky coat my Appalosa had a poor quality coat and trouble shedding out in the last 2 or 3 years he lived. The other 3 all had a normal coat right up until the last.
The drastic muscle loss Was common on every old horse I've had. Just like you and me it doesen't come back. I would increase the amount of Senior that you feed him. I think it's hard for older horses to squeeze the nutrients out of any kind of grass hay.
17 September 2019, 02:24
wilhem8
I didn't think of it sooner look up Cushing's Disease it is a hormonal disease that occurs most often in older horses. Check the list of symptoms see if any thing sounds like the problem with that horse. It can be tested for and can be treated but not cured.
17 September 2019, 04:30
Atkinson
He is really near his end, so few live to that age, sometimes its best to put them down, as opposed to allowing them to just melt..I know its hard to do, but its the right thing to do in some cases. Only you can make that decision.

you might start with a giving him a bath with some shampoo for horses, that should help, at any rate he would probably feel better.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
22 September 2019, 02:56
BuffHunter63
Thanks for the information and advice.

The symptoms do seem to indicate Cushing’s disease.

BH63

03 November 2019, 21:11
Tim629
i would consult a vet

and any feed should be measured as per label not a "some" purina at least where I am has some very good reps that can also help

my current purina feed must feed 3# to get full nutrients provided by the feed

the added cost of additional sr feed could probably be offset by some of the pellets if that was the route a vet or rep says to go after looking at him
04 November 2019, 01:00
BuffHunter63
Although I stated "some", the horses diet was actually set up by an experienced horseman, who is a professor of equine management at a local college.

This horse, along with another horse almost his age, share their feed, and due to bad teeth, much of the feed winds up on the ground where other horses clean it up when they are turned out.

As Ray Atkinson, pointed out, this horse is at the of his natural lifetime, and as long, as he isn't suffering, the owner will probably just let him plug along until he can't get up anymore.

BH63