Find
Notify
Tools

stiirup question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello
I am a right leg below the knee amputee.
Since the amputation in 08 I have had very minimal time riding
I have been caring for a friend's place and his horse for the last 5 months and this has gotten my interest up again
Is there a stirrup that would be safe for someone who no longer has a foot/toes/ankle ?
Thoughts on best knee and leg placement and length?
Thank you
DS coues

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Find a good saddle maker and he will fix you up..

Arizona is full of good saddle makers, probablly make a cup stirrup would be my guess...Learn to jump to the stirrup with the good leg, most cowboys do that anyway..while your at it asked about a quick detachable seat belt. I have a friend that had polio and has no feeling below his belt and he is a team roper..Ive roped with him a number of times..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you
ds coues

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
couasL

PM coming off the subject

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a bum knee one summer.. spent many hours in saddle without using either stirrup other than mounting improved my seat ten fold

Posts: 1612 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The short answer is yes, and I encourage you to go for it. There are myriad adaptations that can be made such that almost anyone can ride. In your case, if you ride without a prosthetic, they make saddles with stirrups that have what amounts to a cup that your stump fits in. You can see examples if you google amputee and saddle. Basically, on a western saddle, the cup is part of the flap and replaces the skirt and stirrup on one side, or if you ride English, the cup attaches a shorter leather.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3814 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Find a good saddle maker and he will fix you up..

Arizona is full of good saddle makers, probablly make a cup stirrup would be my guess...Learn to jump to the stirrup with the good leg, most cowboys do that anyway..while you’re at it asked about a quick detachable seat belt. I have a friend that had polio and has no feeling below his belt and he is a team roper..Ive roped with him a number of times..

Going to get him some monkey nose taps, lol. All joke’s aside lots of good saddle makers there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Monkey nose tapaderos require a foot..??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote