THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Stretching Leather Chaps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stretching Leather Chaps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know of a cheap and easy way to stretch the thigh portion of leather chaps?

As I've grown older, I've put on a little weight (okay, maybe a lot) and I hate to have to buy a new pair of chaps because the old ones are getting a little tight in the legs.

Thanks.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
if they are zippered, your probably out of luck if you have grown a "lot."
If they are straps and hooks, clips, just add a longer leather strap. Not ideal but works.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubert
posted Hide Post
Try getting them wet with denatured alcohol, stretch them and keep them stretched until they dry. That is how they form knife sheaths.

Posts: 52 | Location: Catskill Mtns. New York | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
After you soak them, put them in a plastic bag to sweat awhile.

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
They do have a zipper.

Thanks for the ideas. I will try it and if it doesn't work, maybe I will just donate them to someone just starting out with horses.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just cut the zipper off, get a piece sewn in and add the zipper.

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you live, but if you have a saddle shop handy they can put new zippers in..I just had mine done..Stretching chaps is all but impossible, waste of time in that they will shrink the first chance they get, snow, water etc..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am about 20 minutes from Colorado Saddlery. That may be the best option (or having them make me some custom fitted ones from scratch).

I wonder if I can have them put in a spandex panel in case I continue to expand? LOL

Thanks.

BH63

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I saw some zippers extender things once. They were basically a 2" wide piece of heavy cloth with zipper halves mounted on them in reverse.

You zipped it to the existing zipper and they add a couple of inches of room.

Here they are:

http://www.chapinserts.com/chapinserthome.html

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Well that is a find! Thank you sir!!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id be careful with extension zippers, placement of the zipper is very important, as the extension may or may not end up behind the knee and on a days rife wear a hole in your hide.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Life is too short to wear stretched chaps.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19294 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Life is too short to wear stretched chaps.

It's tough to keep the weight off as you get older. I'm 7 Lbs heavier than the day I got out of boot camp 42 years ago.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^ Bragging, huh?

I am closer 45 lbs heavier than basic training.

BH63

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
LOL, I knew that would catch someone's attention.

I used to be 114 Lbs heavier.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem a few years back. Took the chaps into a local saddlemaker. He cut the zippers off and added a narrow strip of leather to the chaps and sewed the zippers back on. Fit just fine now

quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Anyone know of a cheap and easy way to stretch the thigh portion of leather chaps?

As I've grown older, I've put on a little weight (okay, maybe a lot) and I hate to have to buy a new pair of chaps because the old ones are getting a little tight in the legs.

Thanks.

BH63

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Point in question, if you can stretch your chaps, they aren't waterproof..elk is bad about stretching, its soft and comfy but worthless and treated it will soad thru and gob up your pants...

Stay with slick side out for working chaps, and use something like Leather New, put on and wiped off with a rag..

If you have to stretch them, sell them and buy a new pair might be a better option..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wound up giving the chaps to a sweet young thing.

They look a damn sight better on her then they ever did on me, that’s for sure.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adjustable working chaps usually have leather knots to hood to a peice of flat soft leather with a slot cut to push the know through..the leather stem can be let out or taken up and they are ver comfortable..All my work chaps have this option,

my chinks are set up with a hook on a leather strip that hook into a small D ring and they are fully adjustable...LOts of options that adjust, most saddle makers know the options, and if they don't you need to find another saddle maker..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120